Amazon claims it doesn’t want to take on UPS and FedEx. Why is it introducing tons of its own vans?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Amazon claims it doesn’t want to take on UPS and FedEx. So why is it introducing tons of its own Ama

Get ready for the Amazon vs. UPS storyline to intensify

For years, Amazon has been laying more and more groundwork for its own logistics and delivery network — one that today only ships and delivers Amazon orders, but could someday do much more in a direct challenge to UPS, FedEx and the U.S. Postal Service.

Today, it is taking another big step toward that potential reality — even if it won’t say so for now.

The e-commerce giant is unveiling a program meant to fuel the creation of hundreds of new package-delivery businesses that can help Amazon handle the fast growth that its U.S. retail business continues to enjoy. Amazon says the program will offer new partnering delivery companies access to discounted rates on everything from fuel to vehicle insurance to delivery vans, as well as coaching from Amazon and an app to guide delivery people on which order should be dropped off when.

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
Amazon claims it doesn’t want to take on UPS and FedEx. So why is it introducing tons of its own Ama

Get ready for the Amazon vs. UPS storyline to intensify

For years, Amazon has been laying more and more groundwork for its own logistics and delivery network — one that today only ships and delivers Amazon orders, but could someday do much more in a direct challenge to UPS, FedEx and the U.S. Postal Service.

Today, it is taking another big step toward that potential reality — even if it won’t say so for now.

The e-commerce giant is unveiling a program meant to fuel the creation of hundreds of new package-delivery businesses that can help Amazon handle the fast growth that its U.S. retail business continues to enjoy. Amazon says the program will offer new partnering delivery companies access to discounted rates on everything from fuel to vehicle insurance to delivery vans, as well as coaching from Amazon and an app to guide delivery people on which order should be dropped off when.
I can say being a prime member i'd support it. Most if not all orders I have from amazon I get free same day shipping meaning I order it at midnight it will get there that afternoon, if it isn't free at most ill pay 5 bucks, which UPS pricing is no competition. Most packages I get don't use UPS either. If they start their own shipping company to encompass outside amazon orders I couldn't help but think it would be superior.

Mutineer

"Amazon claims it doesn't want to take on UPS and FedEx. So why is it introducing tons of it's own Amazon vans?"

The answer is simple. And one of the oldest tricks in the book: THEY'RE LYING!
Say one thing, do something else, and hide behind semantics.

Box Ox

"Amazon claims it doesn't want to take on UPS and FedEx. So why is it introducing tons of it's own Amazon vans?"

The answer is simple. And one of the oldest tricks in the book: THEY'RE LYING!
Say one thing, do something else, and hide behind semantics.

I'd probably attribute it to their not wanting future delivery competitors to pull the rug out from under them in the here and now. They'll downplay their own service until they're confident they can handle their own volume and be a viable alternative to traditional shippers in the eyes of commercial customers.