Amazon delivery driver delivers

Whither

Scofflaw
amazondriverdude said:
I've been at my Amazon DSP for about 2 months now after delivering bread to grocery stores for over 7 years. It's pretty simple and a decent job if you don't mind the soul crushing boredom and average pay. I'd say 10 percent of the people are reliable workers, 50 percent are 20 something kids who are just goofing off, and the other 40 percent are slackers. I'm a loner type so I pretty much stick to driving type of jobs. I was thinking about looking into UPS, but not sure if I value money enough to be micromanaged everyday. It's actually pretty chill delivering for my Amazon DSP. Anything is better than waking up at 2 am, delivering bread though.

It's definitely a personal decision. For example, I don't find package delivery boring ... too many riddles, too much physical activity for that. My thinking was and is: I liked driving for Amazon most days. Was putting in 50-plus hrs/week by choice. Why not work harder for a considerably better reward? You probably know, but: if you can catch a break and crack into UPS, then make book as a permanent package car driver, after 4 years you'll fetch $40/hr plus ~$15/hr bennies. Also, at UPS, as long as the union doesn't fold you'll enjoy job security that Amazon will never match. If the micromanaging crosses the line, you'll be able to file a grievance. Otherwise, it's just long days and this response to your sups "I was working as safely and quickly as possible."

That said. Even if I hadn't done my homework, the first 3 days in class alone would have made clear: this job is much more complex than Amazon driving. Definitely not as chill, ha.

amazondriverdude

It's definitely a personal decision. For example, I don't find package delivery boring ... too many riddles, too much physical activity for that. My thinking was and is: I liked driving for Amazon most days. Was putting in 50-plus hrs/week by choice. Why not work harder for a considerably better reward? You probably know, but: if you can catch a break and crack into UPS, then make book as a permanent package car driver, after 4 years you'll fetch $40/hr plus ~$15/hr bennies. Also, at UPS, as long as the union doesn't fold you'll enjoy job security that Amazon will never match. If the micromanaging crosses the line, you'll be able to file a grievance. Otherwise, it's just long days and this response to your sups "I was working as safely and quickly as possible."

That said. Even if I hadn't done my homework, the first 3 days in class alone would have made clear: this job is much more complex than Amazon driving. Definitely not as chill, ha.

What are the differences so far?

Whither

Scofflaw
What are the differences so far?

I think the main difference is UPS is still, for the time being, a viable career. And the trainers don't forget to remind you at every turn. It's less 'chill'. Now, granted, it is harder and more complex work: but, look, if you're a safe, competent, and reasonably sharp driver for Amazon, there's no reason why you couldn't meet UPS's stated expectations. But I know enough about UPS, here and IRL, that whereas Amazon right now is happy to overlook reasons not to hire a driver, because their turnover is atrocious, you easily catch on that UPS is looking for reasons not to hire a driver (that is, a permanent, FT, union driver). There's something very 'old school' about UPS. For better and worse. On the whole I like it. While there's more surveillance and (for now!) idle threats than Amazon can muster, since Amazon does things the cheap, shoddy way and drivers treat it with the same attitude, ironically it seems more 'human' at UPS to me. Probably the lion's share of that is because of what happened in the 1930s. If UPS wasn't already union, then they'd be just like Amazon and FedEx, and that's obviously the direction the company is heading. I don't think today's workforce has the self-confidence to insist on better working conditions and a better life. At most they want to believe in the vote, but that's no risk, no reward. And votes never paved the way for unions, to the extent that they secured better lives for their members. People took serious risks. Smart UPS drivers b* about the new 22.4 combo drivers, but if you wanna see how low unions can go, take a look at the UAW's contract with Ford and GM after 2007-8. As far as I'm concerned, the end is nigh, the 'good jobs' are good as gone.

In sum: UPS is a real grind, but hey, you'll have 'something to show for it'. Amazon is just a gig.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I think the main difference is UPS is still, for the time being, a viable career. And the trainers don't forget to remind you at every turn. It's less 'chill'. Now, granted, it is harder and more complex work: but, look, if you're a safe, competent, and reasonably sharp driver for Amazon, there's no reason why you couldn't meet UPS's stated expectations. But I know enough about UPS, here and IRL, that whereas Amazon right now is happy to overlook reasons not to hire a driver, because their turnover is atrocious, you easily catch on that UPS is looking for reasons not to hire a driver (that is, a permanent, FT, union driver). There's something very 'old school' about UPS. For better and worse. On the whole I like it. While there's more surveillance and (for now!) idle threats than Amazon can muster, since Amazon does things the cheap, shoddy way and drivers treat it with the same attitude, ironically it seems more 'human' at UPS to me. Probably the lion's share of that is because of what happened in the 1930s. If UPS wasn't already union, then they'd be just like Amazon and FedEx, and that's obviously the direction the company is heading. I don't think today's workforce has the self-confidence to insist on better working conditions and a better life. At most they want to believe in the vote, but that's no risk, no reward. And votes never paved the way for unions, to the extent that they secured better lives for their members. People took serious risks. Smart UPS drivers b* about the new 22.4 combo drivers, but if you wanna see how low unions can go, take a look at the UAW's contract with Ford and GM after 2007-8. As far as I'm concerned, the end is nigh, the 'good jobs' are good as gone.

In sum: UPS is a real grind, but hey, you'll have 'something to show for it'. Amazon is just a gig.

You’re going in with the right attitude

Hope it works out

amazondriverdude

I forget, how did you manage to get an interview with UPS as an outsider?

Whither

Scofflaw
I forget, how did you manage to get an interview with UPS as an outsider?

Also in my favor: a personal rec from a driver with a good amount of seniority, and my building is very short-staffed. Drivers have been piling up grieves for unwanted overtime. It gets expensive paying triple time for those grieves. But yeah, upsjobs.com. I applied for a seasonal driving job, but I told HR I wanted permanent if possible. It's all about getting your foot in the door. And when you cross paths with UPS on your routes, chat for a sec with the driver, find out about the situation at the building. I got to know a different driver that way. I don't think I'll have to call him on route more than a few times, but it'll come in handy if I do. Nice to have people in your corner.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Geez, Amazon! supply your crew some weather bags already...

granted most packages I see are the white plastic bags, but how about their cardboard boxes and paper envelopes? They need rain bags on em.

NTGhost

you get WHAT? 40$/h? holy...and we are in germany are on the very Top of the whole industrie with ~21€/h brutto without overpay. Most of us work here because you mostly don't get better payed anywhere else...but 36€ is decent, even with your nonexistent Healthcare.

/€:to put this into perspective: Even i, as a helper, get pretty much the same as a FT driver from other services here and my driver get even more. But Yeah the grind is also hefty. i don't think i will made till retirement.

Last edited:

Zowert

but 36€ is decent, even with your nonexistent Healthcare.

Although most of the US are under covered or lack healthcare coverage altogether, we (American UPSers) have arguably the best health insurance in the country. The healthcare situation in the States is not bad if you have good coverage.