Amazon motherships

Babagounj

Strength through joy
My first thought about the drones was that I could use them for target practice .
Now they want airships , oh brother I'm going to need a bigger gun .

JL 0513

Wouldn't this need only come about if there was no land left? There's plenty of land for their fulfilment centers. Stupid that they would even publish this idiotic idea.

Have to wonder if they are surveying land on the moon to set up a center to serve future moon colonies.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Wouldn't this need only come about if there was no land left? There's plenty of land for their fulfilment centers. Stupid that they would even publish this idiotic idea.
No state taxes to pay, and it's a lot easier to move an airship than a fulfillment center.

That's just acting under the assumption it is feasible. Which it is not.

Box Ox

The AFCs would hover at about 45,000 feet (13,700 meters) and be restocked and resupplied by “shuttles or smaller airships.

Great. One more Amazon PR thing my parents will believe is going to replace me. When I call: "Hey, did you see the thing about the Amazon airships in the news? Hope you've got a backup plan!"

oldngray

nowhere special
No state taxes to pay, and it's a lot easier to move an airship than a fulfillment center.

That's just acting under the assumption it is feasible. Which it is not.

The PR BS didn't even address the cost and difficulty of getting drones up to 45,000 feet to dock with the mothership. Plus how limited the payload would be.

Might as well put it in orbit where motherships are supposed to be anyway.

Future

Victory Ride
Difference with Von Braun is that rockets can scale. Airships are restricted by a number of factors.

They don't do well in the wind for one. At 45,000 feet they will be above the tropopause which will get them out of the jet stream and all but the biggest summer storms, but they still have to go through it.

Second is lack of lifting ability. To put it in perspective the Hindenburg was 800 feet long and had an internal volume of 7,000,000 cubic feet, but only had the capability of lifting a usable payload of 12 tons or so. With 100 tons of gas for a 3 day trip. Granted fuel efficiency has increased. But if it's going to stay up there, even just being buoyant, it needs some way to power itself.

Airships are rare for a reason.
image.gif

Returntosender

Difference with Von Braun is that rockets can scale. Airships are restricted by a number of factors.

They don't do well in the wind for one. At 45,000 feet they will be above the tropopause which will get them out of the jet stream and all but the biggest summer storms, but they still have to go through it.

Second is lack of lifting ability. To put it in perspective the Hindenburg was 800 feet long and had an internal volume of 7,000,000 cubic feet, but only had the capability of lifting a usable payload of 12 tons or so. With 100 tons of gas for a 3 day trip. Granted fuel efficiency has increased. But if it's going to stay up there, even just being buoyant, it needs some way to power itself.

Airships are rare for a reason.
. You got pilot license can you fly one these?
IMG_1425.GIF

DOK

Probably had interns draw this and file the patent but they will get millions in free publicity. Same thing they are doing with drones.

Bingo^ all to keep their name in the news and to keep people creating threads like this one. Fiction at its finest.