Amazon says it's drones will be as common as seeing a mail truck

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A drone that could haul a commercially significant amount of weight over a sufficient distance to be viable as a delivery method would require a battery with a power-to-weight ratio that is many orders of magnitude superior to even the most advanced technology we have today. If we could make a battery like that it would quite literally transform civilization as we know it. There would no longer be a need for internal combustion or even jet engines because they would be obsolete. Airliners would be powered by battery-driven propellers rather than jet engines. Semi trucks would be powered by electric motors rather than diesel engines. We don't have the technology, and we cant even imagine the technology. People are hung up on drones because they are unmanned, but that is actually the easiest problem to solve. It all boils down to the amount of weight that can be carried.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
A drone that could haul a commercially significant amount of weight over a sufficient distance to be viable as a delivery method would require a battery with a power-to-weight ratio that is many orders of magnitude superior to even the most advanced technology we have today. If we could make a battery like that it would quite literally transform civilization as we know it. There would no longer be a need for internal combustion or even jet engines because they would be obsolete. Airliners would be powered by battery-driven propellers rather than jet engines. Semi trucks would be powered by electric motors rather than diesel engines. We don't have the technology, and we cant even imagine the technology. People are hung up on drones because they are unmanned, but that is actually the easiest problem to solve. It all boils down to the amount of weight that can be carried.
image.jpg

UPS4Life

There was a news story where a helicopter got within 20' of a drone the other day. Also recently with the wild fires in California they can't put the detergents on the fire at times due to drones being flown In the area.

A majority of the Amazon buildings in the Harrisburg area are located within a couple miles of airports. I don't know how far the no fly zone goes out but when you see planes flying around the buildings I would assume you can't be flying drones.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
A majority of the Amazon buildings in the Harrisburg area are located within a couple miles of airports. I don't know how far the no fly zone goes out but when you see planes flying around the buildings I would assume you can't be flying drones
Amazon will have to open new buildings. A lot of their warehouses are right next to airports so they can get their air out. Any building within 5-10 miles in a midsize airport and any building within 30 miles of a big airport won't be able to fly drones. So basically, they won't be able to fly them anywhere they have any shot of making money.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Amazon will have to open new buildings. A lot of their warehouses are right next to airports so they can get their air out. Any building within 5-10 miles in a midsize airport and any building within 30 miles of a big airport won't be able to fly drones. So basically, they won't be able to fly them anywhere they have any shot of making money.
Yet they keep wasting money on the tech.