Amazon to deliver via drones

laffter

The more research is put into "drones" and the more demand there is for them, the cheaper it will become to purchase/manufacture such machines. I don't think Amazon has any intention to offer this as a "normal" service. This would likely start off as a specialty service with quite the specialty price. Anyone paying to receive their order via this method would make sure to have a proper point of delivery... not a snow covered driveway. Weather conditions may impact the availability of the service.

Personally, I see this coming to fruition should they successfully leap the legal hurdles.

oldngray

nowhere special
The more research is put into "drones" and the more demand there is for them, the cheaper it will become to purchase/manufacture such machines. I don't think Amazon has any intention to offer this as a "normal" service. This would likely start off as a specialty service with quite the specialty price. Anyone paying to receive their order via this method would make sure to have a proper point of delivery... not a snow covered driveway. Weather conditions may impact the availability of the service.

Personally, I see this coming to fruition should they successfully leap the legal hurdles.

To deliver quickly that close they could just pay kids on bicycles to deliver.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Domidrones dominating the pizza delivery markets in the future?
;)
domino\'s-drone-08.jpg

TUT

All I know is I'm going to order a :censored2: load of small packages from Amazon and start an airport at my residence. So many issues, it's not worth thinking much about it other than for a laugh.

RockinRobin

We are ALL being WATCHED!
Do any of you remember our same day service Sonic Air? $169 for a Next Day Air letter. Basically you were buying a seat on an airplane.

I remember this only because, back in the day, I actually used it. That or "Delta Dash". Same thing on Delta, you basically just bought a seat for your item/letter/package.

I also used US Air express - when that existed, which was 1/2 the price of Sonic or Delta.

Those were the days. Companies didn't think twice about spending that kind of coin on an overnight. No longer, unless it is life or death.

JL 0513

Where to start....Oh yeah, not going to happen.

Not necessarily because the tech isn't there. In fact, it's possible now.

The reason it won't happen is because it doesn't make any sense.

Why does somebody buy from Amazon in the first place? Most likely to save a few bucks compared to the local store. Another reason may be to avoid going out or to find something that is harder to find.

The premium for a 30 minute drone delivery likely makes it more expensive than taking a 30 min round trip to the store and buying the same thing. Including your gas. And what do you think is cheaper for Amazon themselves, operating an expensive drone, or shipping UPS, FedEx, USPS? Shipping at their reduced rate is most certainly cheaper. So what's the point of all this?

After above's point, we don't even have to look at all the logistical problems this faces. One example being that GPS isn't accurate to the point that would be needed. GPS is good within about 25ft or so. How could we expect this dropped in a proper location near someone's front door? Would need far more advanced tech beyond GPS. The problems are endless.

Others have discussed all the possible criminal acts against drones and their packages. That's a given. Then there's all the possible accidents. A compromised drone falls from the sky and lands on a child's head - kills child. Then what?

Think about it, shipping their massive volume is cheap enough that they offer free shipping to their customers who spend just $35. Why build a multi-billion dollar system to offer an unneeded service?

Marne Vet

I'd like to see a bunch of drones try delivering the weight set I had today, or the other 15-20 over 70's. Good luck Amazon.

barnyard

KTM rider
Does not matter if Amazon ever delivers package 1 with a drone. The story has got almost everyone in the country talking about them and I would bet people that have never looked at Amazon's webpage, have now.

I am thinking there is a small group of marketing people breaking their arms patting themselves on the back somewhere at Amazon.

RockinRobin

It's just not feasible on so many levels, it's almost comical.

But what a great publicity stunt.

Well, Bezos is a marketing genius, so perhaps he can invent teleportation of inanimate objects.
This way he would not have to worry about drones flying around, landing packages in wrong places, hurting children and causing chaos in neighborhoods and with low-altitude air traffic. :biggrin:
Yea, THAT'S the TICKET!

JL 0513

I'd like to see a bunch of drones try delivering the weight set I had today, or the other 15-20 over 70's. Good luck Amazon.

For the record, Amazon did say this would be for <5lb packages only which they say is 86% of their shipments.

Either way, we'll see an :alien: before this system is implemented.

RockinRobin

I can imagine Bezos implementing it on a very small scale for publicity's sake.

i.e., He invites CBS, FOX, CNN and a few others to witness the "Birth of Amazon Drone Delivery" in a few years. He has a well choreographed delivery program to three or four well-rehearsed homes 1 or 2 miles away that are free from obstacles, pets, children, power lines, and other areal and ground potential hazards. He deploys the drones, the cameras roll, and we see them deliver the packages flawlessly near the front doors of the homes and then fly back to Master Bezos. Good Drones! Well done!

Doesn't have to go any further than that. Amazon delivers packages via Drones. Mission accomplished. Amazon is an amazing company on the cutting edge of consumer product delivery. Stock rises 20 points.

TUT

Regarding publicity. Like really who doesn't know of Amazon, learned about Amazon from this news? Anyone?

There are levels of GPS that can be that accurate, it's just that the gov't hasn't allowed consumer use of exacting details, there is a scale. Bujt perhaps a company can be granted the higher resolution GPS rights... now only about 50 other big problems they have to figure out.

http://www.gps.gov/technical/ps/

RockinRobin

It's not a matter of who does not know about Amazon, it's a matter of marketing 101. You want your company and your stock to inflate. What's better than mass marketing via news outlet on a new delivery system? Whether or not it's feasible does not matter. The general public won't know or care. What is important is there is now buzz about Amazon. Just look at this thread. Multiply that by 10,000,000 people and media outlets pumping this issue. This causes critical mass media attention. More buzz equates to momentum on orders, and a rise in stock price.
And they didn't have to pay for advertising. Cha-Ching.

Me personally, I like Amazon. Always have. I have a few Kindles, I do Amazon Prime, and I enjoy shopping Amazon. I get what I want quickly, and can easily shop and compare without having to go to multiple websites.
Bezos nailed it IMO. And, I own his stock. It's a good investment.