Amazon to deliver via drones

TUT

Well there is a lot more interest in those working for carriers vs others. Perhaps this stokes the stock even more, perhaps. Other than that, I don't see a spike in additional Holiday sales over this news. To me it has nothing to do with liking Amazon, I use it as well. Just that this won't (pun included) fly.

Nimnim

The Nim
So with 30 minute delivery if you find yourself in an emergency without TP you could theoretically use your phone to have more sent to you while still in the bathroom, you just might have to read a few more things while you wait.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So with 30 minute delivery if you find yourself in an emergency without TP you could theoretically use your phone to have more sent to you while still in the bathroom, you just might have to read a few more things while you wait.

I delivered a box of diapers from Amazon to an anxious Mom yesterday who told me that she was done to just a couple of them. I wanted to say "You know, they do sell diapers at Walmart" but thought better of it.

browndingo

Where to start....Oh yeah, not going to happen.

Not necessarily because the tech isn't there. In fact, it's possible now.

The reason it won't happen is because it doesn't make any sense.

Why does somebody buy from Amazon in the first place? Most likely to save a few bucks compared to the local store. Another reason may be to avoid going out or to find something that is harder to find.

The premium for a 30 minute drone delivery likely makes it more expensive than taking a 30 min round trip to the store and buying the same thing. Including your gas. And what do you think is cheaper for Amazon themselves, operating an expensive drone, or shipping UPS, FedEx, USPS? Shipping at their reduced rate is most certainly cheaper. So what's the point of all this?

After above's point, we don't even have to look at all the logistical problems this faces. One example being that GPS isn't accurate to the point that would be needed. GPS is good within about 25ft or so. How could we expect this dropped in a proper location near someone's front door? Would need far more advanced tech beyond GPS. The problems are endless.

Others have discussed all the possible criminal acts against drones and their packages. That's a given. Then there's all the possible accidents. A compromised drone falls from the sky and lands on a child's head - kills child. Then what?

Think about it, shipping their massive volume is cheap enough that they offer free shipping to their customers who spend just $35. Why build a multi-billion dollar system to offer an unneeded service?

Your logic is sound, but basic logic doesn't apply here.

First, Amazon is not very concerned about the cost of its shipping. It currently loses millions and millions of dollars every year on shipping because it ships so much stuff for free. Even with the deep discounts it gets from UPS and other carriers, they just don't make any money shipping 25-pound bags of rice or 70-lb table saws without charging for shipping. What they do get are customers. That's Amazon's goal - to sign up everyone on the planet with an amazon account so they'll come back and make other (profitable) purchases like e-books, which require no shipping.

Second, you'd think people pencil out the costs when deciding whether to shop locally or buy online, but they don't. I live in a small town about 50 miles from the nearest big-box appliance stores. Every weekend there's a parade of big pickups getting 12mpg heading out of town to shop at the stores and malls 50 miles away. Then they come back and brag how they got a refrigerator for $50 less than the local appliance shop was asking. They never figure in the $35-$40 the gas cost them to save that $50. Shopping is about the experience as much as the money for lots of people.

ups1990

One of the first points Mr Bezos made, during the 60min piece was the importance of custome service. My jaw dropped because I could foresee how this mammoth of a company could potentially overtake or at worst take a significant percentage of shipping volume from UPS.
At a time when UPS is distancing themselves farther and farther from its customer base due to technological decisions, Amazon, on the other hand is beloved by the general public and trading 3 times higher than us.
It's not of the realm to one day see Amazon get so big that they continue to build processing centers in major metropolitan areas of the USA and deliver it all themselves and leave the inland, mountain and desert areas to UPS.
I feel that this is more or a possibility than having drones deliver packages. I also believe that no one has the kind of money to build what UPS has put in place here in our country and around the world as far as logistics go.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Maybe the exposure is all that Amazon was after? The technology to take off/land/return is there, but the accuracy/security/regulation&control is not and won't be for a minimum of 8 years. The FAA has much higher priorities at this moment and for the foreseeable future. It's a gimmick .

Returntosender

U.S. cracks open skies to testing, use of aerial drones

The Federal Aviation Administration already has approved limited use of drones in the U.S. for law enforcement, surveillance, atmospheric research and other applications.
But Monday's move will give companies, universities and other entities locations at which to test much broader use, such as crop spraying, catching exotic-animal poachers or delivering packages. http://news.yahoo.com/u-aviation-re...manned-aircraft-tests-161748234--finance.html

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
2layfz9.jpg

Mack Grant

I wouldnt put anything past amazon. Their creative and sucessful at pretty much anything that they do and pretty much have unlimited resources by the look of it.
Truth is Amazon has a nice website and an original idea, but when it boils down to it they're just a large stock wharehouse. They don't make any of the things they sell, plus they offer free shipping (but pay UPS to ship) it's my belief that Amazon is the one who will be in trouble in 5 years. UPS will be sitting back laughing$$$

Mack Grant

Never count Amazon out. Amazon started out as just as online book retailer then became an everything you looking for retailer. Created the Kindle e-reader in 2007. Several other companies seen the success of the E-reader decided to imitate the Kindle, the Ipad, Galaxy, MS Surface, Transformers Tablets, etc Amazon partnered with the Post Office for delivery. Now the Post Office does Sunday deliveries for them in select cities. Those select cities could trailblazer programs for Amazon future plans on dominating retail/delivery environment.
Bottom line is Amazon is not profitable, UPS is massively profitable. You figure it out.
On a side note what "drones" do you know of that are doing anything? Don't say military because those are operator controlled and cost lots$$.

Mack Grant

The more research is put into "drones" and the more demand there is for them, the cheaper it will become to purchase/manufacture such machines. I don't think Amazon has any intention to offer this as a "normal" service. This would likely start off as a specialty service with quite the specialty price. Anyone paying to receive their order via this method would make sure to have a proper point of delivery... not a snow covered driveway. Weather conditions may impact the availability of the service.

Personally, I see this coming to fruition should they successfully leap the legal hurdles.

Have you been drinking. Tell me the last time you saw a $&%#^@ drone anywhere doing anything? And now ROBOTS are going to be delivering packages in 5 years yes? From the air you say? (Looks up) really?

Mack Grant

I delivered a box of diapers from Amazon to an anxious Mom yesterday who told me that she was done to just a couple of them. I wanted to say "You know, they do sell diapers at Walmart" but thought better of it.

Wanted to do this myself so many times when delivering boxes of paper towels. And it's usually the customer who receives packages 4 days a week.
Maybe she tells her husband she got a great deal on paper towels to justify her constant online purchasing.

JL 0513

Wanted to do this myself so many times when delivering boxes of paper towels. And it's usually the customer who receives packages 4 days a week.
Maybe she tells her husband she got a great deal on paper towels to justify her constant online purchasing.

It seems we have all delivered bundles of paper towels or diapers, or similar items. I cannot understand this. Shipping costs have to be close to the value of a 12 pack of paper towels. So about $20 for paper towels?

TUT

It seems we have all delivered bundles of paper towels or diapers, or similar items. I cannot understand this. Shipping costs have to be close to the value of a 12 pack of paper towels. So about $20 for paper towels?

Shipping cost to the buyer, $0 after a one time pay for all things in a year.

It gets scary, what happens when this is cheaper than you can get it at the local supermarket? What happens when a lot of people get wind of this? You can have millions buying general stuff, because it is more economical for them.

http://www.amazon.com/Scott-Extra-T...8&qid=1389243306&sr=1-6&keywords=toilet+paper