Amazon Wants Suckers!

bbsam

Staff member
4.5 million with a 300k return with 40 trucks and 100 employees by what the site says which leave 42k or so for each employee not putting in gas and other cost literally will be paying those guys at most 15 a hour plus it says only way to make that is working 365
Not sure that’s necessarily accurate. May have some full time, some part time.

Honestly it looks similar to Fedex Ground projections for their contractors.

Returntosender

I’d take it.

I wouldn’t do it off the street but after 24 years experience, I’d do it.
Ever considered being a silent partner with the owner? Use your ups knowledge to help the owner! Give that particular owner an operational advantage, in a few years that owner and you can buy another owners amazon business

bbsam

Staff member
Ever considered being a silent partner with the owner? Use your ups knowledge to help the owner! Give that particular owner an operational advantage, in a few years that owner and you can buy another owners amazon business
That’s a very good idea.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I’ve said it before , UPS. FEDEX and the Post Office should have the balls to all tell Amazon to go pound sand ,,, do it yourself !!!
They’d be sunk in a week and beg us for a deal !!! Amazon needs us more than we need them !!!

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Why would they need 100 employees for 40 trucks? Anyway, $300k doesn't seem like much return for all that would need invested and managed.

Thinking of it, if you run 7 days they could have 80 drivers run a 4x3 and 3x4 schedule. I guess the others would be coverage, management and bookkeeping.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
That’s a 15% return on investment. That’s not bad.
don't you think that is the best case scenario to get people to sign on?

what percentage of business owners with 40 vehicles do you think will actually earn 300k? probably the top 10% if that.

I have seen this in the trucking industry. Swift, England , or the other big trucking companies try to entice their drivers in becoming owner operators with claims like these. very few make it . most of them go back to driving a company truck.

Amazon believes in that old saying.."there is a sucker born every minute."

the turnover is going to be astronomical .

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I’ve said it before , UPS. FEDEX and the Post Office should have the balls to all tell Amazon to go pound sand ,,, do it yourself !!!
They’d be sunk in a week and beg us for a deal !!! Amazon needs us more than we need them !!!
yes, for now.........

the way they are growing not for long.

CoolStoryBro

Is it possible for one person to manage 40 trucks and 100 employees? Is that 300k after you hire a management team for this operation?

bbsam

Staff member
don't you think that is the best case scenario to get people to sign on?

what percentage of business owners with 40 vehicles do you think will actually earn 300k? probably the top 10% if that.

I have seen this in the trucking industry. Swift, England , or the other big trucking companies try to entice their drivers in becoming owner operators with claims like these. very few make it . most of them go back to driving a company truck.

Amazon believes in that old saying.."there is a sucker born every minute."

the turnover is going to be astronomical .
That’s true. But you have to look at it as an investor. 15% is astronomical. 10% is damn good year after year. 7%? Still not too shabby. And there’s growth potential and as a company, taxed now at only 21%. Jeff Bezos is lovin Donald Trump!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
That’s true. But you have to look at it as an investor. 15% is astronomical. 10% is damn good year after year. 7%? Still not too shabby. And there’s growth potential and as a company, taxed now at only 21%. Jeff Bezos is lovin Donald Trump!
I wasn't looking at this as an investor since you probably are not just putting up the money and sitting back and waiting for that 300k return.

i'm sure there is work involved . is Amazon saying this 300k after you paid yourself a salary for all your hours involved?

if that is so then I agree with you.

but my gut is telling me this is a smoke and mirrors show. ya, I'm getting cynical in my old age.

bbsam

Staff member
I wasn't looking at this as an investor since you probably are not just putting up the money and sitting back and waiting for that 300k return.

i'm sure there is work involved . is Amazon saying this 300k after you paid yourself a salary for all your hours involved?

if that is so then I agree with you.

but my gut is telling me this is a smoke and mirrors show. ya, I'm getting cynical in my old age.
I’d say $300k is a stretch. But getting good managers and farming out the paperwork is the real work that the owner should keep up on. Sometimes tricky but doable.

pifhluk

Wow so much mis information in this thread... Does anyone read anything anymore?

The initial investment is 10-30k which is to cover expenses until you get rolling, travel to Seattle, 3 weeks training etc. Vans are discounted leases, discounts on equipment, uniforms, insurance packages etc. as well. You don't actually end up owning very much so if it doesn't work out you are only out ~30k max. If you aren't an idiot though it should be very easy to succeed with the amount of volume Amazon has and the fact that they have an interest in you succeeding.

Mutineer

Amazon has and the fact that they have an interest in you succeeding

Don't kid yourself. Amazon has no interest in 'you' succeeding. Amazon will simply cancel contracts until they find people who do succeed. Success will be determined with an unknown metric that will constantly change until they find a "sweet spot".

In the interim heads will roll and people will lose their asses.

Don't think even for a second that Amazon will 'care' about anybody. Unless that person makes a good poster child for their nausea inducing, diversity themed website.

If it's anything like XG, they'll cheerfully throw anybody under the proverbial bus for any reason.