Amazon workers trying to Unionize

nWo

I was just looking at a Contract from the UFCW Local 1996 in Atlanta. After 72 months of employment a clicklist employee at Kroger gets $14.00/hr. Courtesy Clerks top out at $9.00/hr . Also they pay insurance premiums and :censored2:. So Imagine someone quitting a union job stocking shelves where he had to pay dues and made $12. And Amazon says hey will give you $15.50, comparable Insurance, similar vacation time. Plus you don't have to pay dues.

I can certainly understand if someone doesn't see the benefits of having a union. I don't agree with it. But I understand where they are coming from.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I was just looking at a Contract from the UFCW Local 1996 in Atlanta. After 72 months of employment a clicklist employee at Kroger gets $14.00/hr. Courtesy Clerks top out at $9.00/hr . Also they pay insurance premiums and *. So Imagine someone quitting a union job stocking shelves where he had to pay dues and made $12. And Amazon says hey will give you $15.50, comparable Insurance, similar vacation time. Plus you don't have to pay dues.

I can certainly understand if someone doesn't see the benefits of having a union. I don't agree with it. But I understand where they are coming from.
14/hr in 1996 would be 23.76/hour today

nWo

Amazon is hiring FT warehouse employees here for $17/hr. Benefits from day 1. UPS starts at $14.50 pt. have to wait 9 months for insurance. May take 5-10 years before you get an opportunity to be full time. I think this is what people are seeing when they vote against forming a union.

Overpaid Union Thug

Nearly all of our cradles are broken now. Hell, mine won't even charge anymore. It hardly matters though. Just hit MapMav on your way back to the truck and remember your sequence of turns and you can knock it out just as efficiently.
Taking care of them makes them last a long time. When drivers slam their DIADS into them they tend to stop working right. I’ve had mine since October. I had it replaced because the previous driver before I bid the route was a destructive slob. It wouldn’t charge and wouldn’t navigate half the time. Simply had the mechanic order a new one and fixed that problem.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The union vote would be far more successful in a less marginalized area. Sucks that organizing works out that way but it's a symptom of how fear drives irrational behavior, and Amazon can capitalize on it with their anti-union efforts. If a union drive was attempted in a suburban, largely middle-cass, largely white building I'd bet my money they would win it easily.

Last edited:

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
75% of UPS drivers are cry asses when they can make over 100k a year and just follow the cradle. It’s embarrassing.
Nearly all of our cradles are broken now. Hell, mine won't even charge anymore. It hardly matters though. Just hit MapMav on your way back to the truck and remember your sequence of turns and you can knock it out just as efficiently.
I can't stand the cradle or mapnav. The overthinking is actually therapeutic to me.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
The union vote would be far more successful in a less marginalized area. Sucks that organizing works out that way but it's a symptom of how fear drives irrational behavior, and Amazon can capitalize on it with their anti-union efforts. If a union drive was attempted in a suburban, largely middle-cass, largely white building I'd bet my money they would win it easily.
Where's such a place at now?

barnyard

KTM rider
Another article I read suggested that they were getting $15/hr to start and full benefits on day 1. What more could union representation gotten them?? Work rules and a push for a safer work environment, but those are pretty nebulous things that many would see no benefit from.

Plus, Alabama is a RTW state that is hostile to unions. Not a great place to spend a ton of money trying to organize.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Another article I read suggested that they were getting $15/hr to start and full benefits on day 1. What more could union representation gotten them?? Work rules and a push for a safer work environment, but those are pretty nebulous things that many would see no benefit from.

Plus, Alabama is a RTW state that is hostile to unions. Not a great place to spend a ton of money trying to organize.
They get 30 cent raise after a year. Then no more raises. After 2 years they get a bonus if they quit. Amazon wants high turnover

Red Devil

The Power of Connected

$16/hr starting pay and better benefits?

AKCoverMan

How much does Amazon contribute to a part time employee pension? Zero dollars per hour.

But the Amazon worker doesn’t care, only cares about this weeks paycheck. The average UPS Teamster has far more skin in the game. Although some people fail to see it, I believe there is a benefit not only to the employees but to the company by having a union work force who gives a poop.

ManInBrown

Amazing that these idiots voted to not unionize. Cause who the hell wants fair wages, and to be treated fairly. The teamsters have done a terrible job for UPS hourlies the last two contracts, but at the end of the day, if we didn’t have them, UPS would be paying us 12 bucks an hour.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Not sure why anyone is shocked, it's Alabama. They should have found a warehouse in NY or CA, probably would have won in a landslide.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The teamsters have done a terrible job for UPS hourlies the last two contracts, but at the end of the day, if we didn’t have them, UPS would be paying us 12 bucks an hour.
Screenshot_20210328-165300_Chrome.jpg

Seymour Packages

It is the South, after all. Not a bastion of fair labor practices, solid pensions, or organized anything. They have made their bed, let them enjoy being discarded at the whim of a scumbag supervisor, impossible production metrics, and no sense of job security. Bless their ignorant hearts.