An interesting sight indeed.

bacha29

This morning I happened to be driving past the local Express station on my way to an appointment.
The Express freight morning inbound truck had just pulled out of the station and headed up the road.
The garage door was still open and there were the guys in there flying around like Buzzy the hummingbird try get loaded up and going.

The time.....10:21 AM.

These types of dispatch times are not only incompatible but will flat out prove disastrous for rural Ground contractors.

They'll have no choice but to commit more trucks and manpower to go out and chase high mileage low package volume areas or put guys in their own cars and send them out there. The only question is which method will lose the lessor amount of money.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This morning I happened to be driving past the local Express station on my way to an appointment.
The Express freight morning inbound truck had just pulled out of the station and headed up the road.
The garage door was still open and there were the guys in there flying around like Buzzy the hummingbird try get loaded up and going.

The time.....10:21 AM.

These types of dispatch times are not only incompatible but will flat out prove disastrous for rural Ground contractors.

They'll have no choice but to commit more trucks and manpower to go out and chase high mileage low package volume areas or put guys in their own cars and send them out there. The only question is which method will lose the lessor amount of money.
That’s the new Priority Zero service. It gets there whenever they feel like delivering it.

bacha29

That’s the new Priority Zero service. It gets there whenever they feel like delivering it.
It's the new Paralysis Class shipping. Moves just barely fast enough to keep paralysis from setting in. It costs more but still moves at the same pace as the other new shipping class....The new Rigor Mortis Class shipping.

AB831

I guarantee you Fat Freddy has no plan in place to handle the surge of volume in the event of a UPS strike. If August 1st is the day they start their strike, August 2nd will be the first time FredEx tries to figure out a plan for it.

It will be fine

I guarantee you Fat Freddy has no plan in place to handle the surge of volume in the event of a UPS strike. If August 1st is the day they start their strike, August 2nd will be the first time FredEx tries to figure out a plan for it.
My guess is they’ll just enforce shipper caps for the shippers that didn’t come over already. They won’t run too much over peak volume to serve a bunch of customers that didn’t plan ahead and won’t stick anyway.

MAKAVELI

My guess is they’ll just enforce shipper caps for the shippers that didn’t come over already. They won’t run too much over peak volume to serve a bunch of customers that didn’t plan ahead and won’t stick anyway.
My guess is greed will override any cap and just overload both Express and Ground.

bacha29

^^^^ This ^^^^

Express was overloaded in ‘97 even with their supposed caps on shipments.
RPS salesman were signing up new accounts with little concern for volume caps. They were fattening their paychecks mightily and that's all that mattered.

yadig

Don’t forget that express pilots are threatening a strike also.

bacha29

Sounds like it’s time for a trip to Lowe’s to look for pallets and tarps
A 10x14' tarp and some bungy straps to tie it down with is what I got the guys at my former terminal as an early Christmas present Honest, that's what I got them. I told them that they could use it to cover up piled outside freight or they could go down in the woods, cut some poles and build a shelter like something right out of Dual Survivor to keep contractor employed drivers dry when they are loading up out in the parking lot in the pouring down rain.

Aquaman

That’s the reality that a lot of people aren’t noticing… this isn’t a long term plan to have ground deliver Express freight. It’s a long term plan to eliminate Express entirely. We’ll always offer some form of overnight shipping. But Express as we’ve known it is over.

bacha29

That’s the reality that a lot of people aren’t noticing… this isn’t a long term plan to have ground deliver Express freight. It’s a long term plan to eliminate Express entirely. We’ll always offer some form of overnight shipping. But Express as we’ve known it is over.
Setting aside whether it works are not in all parts of the country in terms of overall size how big do you guys believe that the "restructured" will be compare to it's current size now?

If I had to guess at it I would say that it will be about one fifth it's current size.

Might be a bit larger once Fat Freddy, Raj The Weasel and Johnny Dollar Sign come to realize that rural Ground contractors 100+ miles way from the airport can't do air anywhere close to the service percentages they expect.

MAKAVELI

That is until they realize UPS will be swooping in to take market share back from FedEx because they will still offer service. FedEx just thinks customers will roll over and say friend it. We'll keep sending our freight to you, paying high prices for no service. It won't take long for shippers to take their business to UPS.

bacha29

That is until they realize UPS will be swooping in to take market share back from FedEx because they will still offer service. FedEx just thinks customers will roll over and say friend it. We'll keep sending our freight to you, paying high prices for no service. It won't take long for shippers to take their business to UPS.
The party that appears most likely to benefit from Fat Freddy's Fiasco is the Teamsters. UPS knows that they are going to gain market share and therefore might just be a little more flexible at the bargaining table.

Will Fedex Express still be around? More than likely...yes. But only a fairly small fraction of it's original size and a good chance no longer a free standing nationwide carrier unless it has brokers and owner operators with the own DOT tags stationed in less populated rural areas.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This. UPS actually delivers what they promise and it's performed professionally. No need to worry that the Brown driver will hit your car, drive across your lawn, assault your dog, or kidnap your child. Pretty unlikely that they will urinate on your porch or steal your yard art either.
Plus, you'll actually get your package....on-time.