And in Today's Market Activity...

vantexan

I'm going to do a rickyb-ish thread here, posting what's going on in my little corner of the investment world. Was inspired by an angry old codger to do so. :)

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
they must be in lousy condition. ie. beat to hell. you'd be lucky to get $15 on 90% coins
Many are in nice condition from the 1800s. Just by looking at the price of silver he bought at the high end of the market. Stocks were at their low at the same time. Old guys and their precious metals.

Nolimitz

Doubtful, but you may have 1-2 that have real numismatic value. It would be worth doing some research or have a dealer look at them. Sounds like he bought a "scrap" bag or two that have already been picked thru?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Doubtful, but you may have 1-2 that have real numismatic value. It would be worth doing some research or have a dealer look at them. Sounds like he bought a "scrap" bag or two that have already been picked thru?
I'm sure they were bought from an ad in the back of Readers Digest.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Watch out, we got a baller in the house...
He's saving up for some new wheels, Halloween is his busiest time of year.

1571004836069.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Many are in nice condition from the 1800s. Just by looking at the price of silver he bought at the high end of the market. Stocks were at their low at the same time. Old guys and their precious metals.
Are they Morgan Silver dollars? I only go in for the silver value, but my dad plays the numismatic game. If they have CC on the reverse, that means they were minted by the Carson City mint, and those are getting harder to find, and might be worth more than what your FIL paid. Otherwise, they are probably still worth more than spot value.