Another Beautiful day in livermore

RemoteTruck

Love my job..This is my old truck.
0215081153.jpg

wrecker

Nice pictures... but on a side note... I always hated driving those P-800's.

Isn't that a p700 in the pic??

Even with the lack of power steering, and the high step, I still prefer to deliver out of a p8. More room to sort (never used pas). P7's are useless in the snow.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Isn't that a p700 in the pic??

Even with the lack of power steering, and the high step, I still prefer to deliver out of a p8. More room to sort (never used pas). P7's are useless in the snow.

Definitely an early model P700, about 1997. I hate P800s, this was my sixth straight day in one while my '05 P7 is in the body shop.

screamin chicken

I just turned 40 in Jan. and I about 6 foot, my center still has the old mid 70's P10's, and a few newer ones ( im lucky) and the rest are newer 700's, 800's.

drewed

Shankman

Interesting read NY, I watched a show on engineering disasters or something and this very thing happened to the T with what the person said about the blades going fast and the air being cloudy around it... In that instance theres a speed limiter went bad caused the turbine to overheat and seize

this isnt the exact video but its shows the power involved in one of these incidents

cino321

I don't I always thought the clutch and brakes were funny on those trucks, not to mention the obnoxiously loud diesel.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Hey Remote Truck,

Welcome to the Brown Cafe!

Hopefully you don't get blown over by all the windmill talk...:funny:

You said the picture of the P-800 is your old truck, what are you driving now or are you still driving??

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The truck in the photo is a 1995 or 1996 model year P-700.

I had one for a while, good old #654573. Out of all the trucks I have ever driven, that one was my favorite. It was gutless and loud but it had plenty of leg room and the step was very low. It was a good work platform with excellent ergonomics and a good seat. And, of course, it had a 3 point seatbelt.

The newer ones with the Mercedes diesel are OK, but they look butt-ugly and sound like a flatulent hair dryer. I still miss old #654573, they sent her down to Eugene a couple of years ago. She had over 200,000 miles on her and had never left me stranded. I hope they are taking good care of her.

I just turned 40 in Jan. and I about 6 foot, my center still has the old mid 70's P10's, and a few newer ones ( im lucky) and the rest are newer 700's, 800's.

Well, you are just getting to the age of body wear&tear making a difference, I would imagine being 6' tall helps with that high step. On all the p800s we have the first step is too high for my short legs and the hand rail is too high. I have to hold onto the right side door frame to pull myself up. This is what I was doing when I pulled a muscle in my back putting me on Comp for 7 weeks and counting. Getting in and out of a P800 100 times a day also makes my hips hurt. Those are just some of the reasons I hate p800s.

screamin chicken

Well, you are just getting to the age of body wear&tear making a difference, I would imagine being 6' tall helps with that high step. On all the p800s we have the first step is too high for my short legs and the hand rail is too high. I have to hold onto the right side door frame to pull myself up. This is what I was doing when I pulled a muscle in my back putting me on Comp for 7 weeks and counting. Getting in and out of a P800 100 times a day also makes my hips hurt. Those are just some of the reasons I hate p800s.

Gotcha good luck with the injury and I can relate to the getting old and doing my job I work out everyday and try to keep the same pace up all day, I also have a herniated L4-L5 back injury and I keep that in mind as I work.....

Gotcha good luck with the injury and I can relate to the getting old and doing my job I work out everyday and try to keep the same pace up all day, I also have a herniated L4-L5 back injury and I keep that in mind as I work.....
You have to keep it in mind, cuz they don't care. I will bet any amount that every 5 year or more driver with UPS has at least one "bulging" disc. It's due to the nature of what we do everyday.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

When UPS designed the P-800, (or its indentical twin brother P-1000) they made a list of every single feature that might possibly help the driver do his job with less pain and stress....and then deleted all of them.

Power steering? No.

Low step? No.

Adequate leg room? No.

Adjustable high-backed seat with lumbar support? No.

You couldnt possibly make those pieces of dog crap any worse if you tried. The seats are basically an upholstered board padded with an inch of dryer lint. The suspension handles like a box of bricks, and an aircraft carrier has a smaller turning radius. They are underpowered to the point of being dangerous to merge onto a freeway with, and with the 4 spd transmission you are stuck between gears if you start out on a steep hill, it cant pull the hill in third so you crawl up the road at 14 MPH in second with the motor screaming at redline.

I firmly believe they were intentionally designed to force older drivers into early retirement. I know 3 ex-UPSer's who have chronic bursitis and arthritis in their elbows and shoulders from years of fighting the manual steering.

Did I mention that they dont have 3 point seatbelts?:biting: