Another possible n00b

So I recently got hired onto the "reload" shift, I guess better known as the twilight shift. I am a PT package handler. Anyways, I really like the job and the physicality of the work. What are my chances of staying on past January? I am 21 if that matters.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are too many variables for anyone here to be able to give you a definitive answer but I can say that your work performance will be used to make that decision.

Work performance and staffing needs. You can better your odds by letting HR know you would consider other hours. UPS hires PT year round. Ever wonder why?

HardknocksUPSer

True^^ I don't know about your sups but my sups find something to fuss about even when I'm doing the job properly and I fully understand that , that's their job and what their supposed to do, however at the end of the day they always come back to me and tell me I'm doing a good job and they even admit to telling me it's their job to keep me motivated lol

km3

Well, needless to say I'm new here. I joined because I've been lurking a lot lately, and there have been some conversations I wanted to chime in on.

I was a helper last year, and I'm doing the same thing now. I did tour a facility for a permanent package handling job in the past, but at the time I declined to interview because the manager wanted a one year commitment. I haven't ruled out looking into it again, however.

That's about it. Looking forward to not lurking for a change.

foxbox

Hi everyone, I'm new to UPS. I was just hired last week, and today was my first day of training and employment and all that.

I have a question - during my tour and interview, the HR guy told us all that even though we were being hired during peak, these were for permanent positions. But now I'm reading a bunch of stuff here that says that new hires right now probably won't be kept on after peak. Is this something I should be worried about? I'm looking for something stable, I don't want to lose my job after peak when I was told it would be a permanent position.

Other than that, nice to meet you all!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hi everyone, I'm new to UPS. I was just hired last week, and today was my first day of training and employment and all that.

I have a question - during my tour and interview, the HR guy told us all that even though we were being hired during peak, these were for permanent positions. But now I'm reading a bunch of stuff here that says that new hires right now probably won't be kept on after peak. Is this something I should be worried about? I'm looking for something stable, I don't want to lose my job after peak when I was told it would be a permanent position.

Other than that, nice to meet you all!
HR lies....

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
You, being hired this late in the year, will probably be the first to be layed off a little before the end of December. That being said, if you do a stellar job, you could very well be hired back after things drop off and pick back up again. If you can hold off that long. Most people here have gone thru the same thing. Good luck.

My building is advertising on local radio stations for $14/hr seasonal package handlers. Nobody yet has met one of those seasonal employees. They are all being told they are being hired on permanent. We have a loader in every trailer.

foxbox

Jesus christ. That's a bummer. It's ridiculous that they can make us agree to a year term when they don't have any intention of providing a year of employment. If they want seasonal workers, why not hire seasonal workers? Transparency and honesty would be nice.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Jesus christ. That's a bummer. It's ridiculous that they can make us agree to a year term when they don't have any intention of providing a year of employment. If they want seasonal workers, why not hire seasonal workers? Transparency and honesty would be nice.

You obviously don't know who
your dealing with!

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@foxbox, some parts of the country do not have 'seasonal' PTers anymore (per the union contract); however, there is an extra long probationary period.

Hopefully you can find one of your coworkers, who is well informed about the current union contract as it pertains to newly hired (preseniority) PTers.

JLynn

Hello all! Getting uniform tomorrow and I wanted to know if I needed to have a belt or if it was supplied with the uniform. Got the boots and after reading a bit here will also pick up gloves, but would like to be as prepared as possible.
Thanks!