Another question about TCD/Covering in General

PhatPattheRiverRat

Hey all, hope the day is treating you well, not kicking your tail yet. So, 3 months, give or take on twilight sort, I have been approached about my interest in the near future about covering routes for sick drivers in my building/going through driver training and all..sweet.

So I know work is sparse initially as a cover guy normally. In the future, if I am covering 2-3 days a week or something less, when would I know if I am needed? Would it be the night before, morning of? Does it depend?

I ask because I have two side gigs I could pursue on days I didn't drive: I could work at a grocery store stocking shelves or substitute tach lil boogerpickers (something I have done in the past and enjoy). I would need to know by like 7 a.m. the day of if I am driving or not to sign up to sub for a class though, or call the store and let em know I can help. Screw going on unemployment, don't want to if I don't have to.

Got a 40 hour gig now, but would give it up to cover, as long as I could get some semblance of 40 hours between the 3 possible jobs. Possible? Not possible? No way to tell?

PhatPattheRiverRat

You'll know in the morning. They'll probably wanna call you the night before or early in the morning to touch base with you.

Thanks for the insight. I asked hr last night, they just gave me a blank look and said "they do what they want, the drivers." Um, okay, fair enough I guess.

UPSER110

They will pretty much do what they want. Here you can have call offs an hour before start time. I would recommend being a cover driver if you want to make a career out of UPS. You will start at a higher wage, covering counts towards your progression, area knowledge, and you can qualify. The second year I was a cover I make 45k "part-time" before I got to bid on a full-time job.

PhatPattheRiverRat

So you're a substitute teacher..
Everything is starting to make sense

Hey now, I teach them kids good! Honestly I have a 40 hour a week, sit at a desk job now. I can hear myself getting fatter. Want to cover drive and be a :censored2:ty substitute teacher in the next year. Hey, everyone deserves to dream...amirite?