Any good Reason?

Pasaholic

Our Steward tonight started passing around the opt in/ out out list for our center, can anyone give me one good reason to opt out?

J

JonFrum

I take it you are talking about the 9.5 issue???

Opt out in this case means???

Article 37 - Management-Employee Relations, Section 1(c):
"Those full-time drivers who choose to opt-out of the 9.5 language in this subsection will have no right to file a grievance alleging excessive overtime either under this subsection or under an excessive overtime provision in the Supplement, Rider, or Addendum."

Translation: Except for pre-approved twice-a-month eight-hour-day requests; If you report for work, UPS owns you for up to twelve hours every day. You have no recourse. Period. Have a nice day. [Insert smiley-face here.]

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I guess one reason to opt out would be wanting lots of ot. If I understand correctly, by opting out you would not be allowed to file any greviances for being over 9.5 I would imagine you'd get more work than the driver next to you if he/she opts in.

currahee

I dont know why anyone would opt out. You know they are going to work us 9.49 3 days a week and 10 or 11 the other 2 days .Either way you go the ot is going to be there.If you opt out you lose the triple time if you file.

I dont know why anyone would opt out. You know they are going to work us 9.49 3 days a week and 10 or 11 the other 2 days .Either way you go the ot is going to be there.If you opt out you lose the triple time if you file.
More like 10-11 three days and 9.50 the next two. The triple time is only paid for the over 9.5 hours worked AFTER the grievance. So, if (after the grievance) you work 9.51 hours, you get triple time for.01 hours. I don't how UP$ can afford that.

BigBrownSanta

More like 10-11 three days and 9.50 the next two. The triple time is only paid for the over 9.5 hours worked AFTER the grievance. So, if (after the grievance) you work 9.51 hours, you get triple time for.01 hours. I don't how UP$ can afford that.
Where I am, it's triple time for all hours in excess of 9.5 for the week. If you work 10 hrs for 3 days then 9.5 for 2 days, you would grieve for 1.5 hrs at the triple time rate. Sounds like your local may have set a bad precedent.

Maybe not Santa, I may not misunderstand the process. I haven't filed myself. Being a swing driver I figure if I file, they'll just move me to a different route that's even harder just to punish me. Although, I may have to give the a go at the process.
We have had one driver that actually did well with the O/9.5 grievence in that they put in an extra car to alleviate his O/9.5 as well as lowering the dispatch of about three other drivers. So it can work out well.