Any other center have this.............

swing_drv

We have a full time driver that stays in the office doing safety compliance work. He might go on road maybe once a month. We called the union but they said it was up to our management. How can this be! He has been doing this for over a year. And he signed back on his route on the new bid list. Shouldn't this be a full time position after 30 days.

Scoot

We have one. He gets on road once or twice a week. Mgt loves it because they can load the route up on the days he's working on "safety".

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We have one also. It used to bug me that the guy earns the same money as me for doing basically nothing. Our union Business Agent gave me a whole different view on the subject by pointing out that every day the guy spends in the office equals one day that a junior employee at the bottom of the seniority list gets to cover his route for full pay and benefits instead of being laid off or having to work in the hub.

satellitedriver

We have one also. It used to bug me that the guy earns the same money as me for doing basically nothing. Our union Business Agent gave me a whole different view on the subject by pointing out that every day the guy spends in the office equals one day that a junior employee at the bottom of the seniority list gets to cover his route for full pay and benefits instead of being laid off or having to work in the hub.
Yep, we have one.
He is used to run late air, pickup and deliver misloads and go out and take stops off drivers that were over dispatched.
Since he is not on the books for the day, the morning report to corporate for SPC is met.
He has gained weight and is as fat as any BA I have ever seen.
Then, part timers are used to help the other drivers that are over dispatched.
Part timers are working the hours for part time pay, doing drivers work.
There are many various ways my center hides the facts and I doubt we are the exception.

I could care less.
I try to work safely all day.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yep, we have one.
He is used to run late air, pickup and deliver misloads and go out and take stops off drivers that were over dispatched.
Since he is not on the books for the day, the morning report to corporate for SPC is met.
He has gained weight and is as fat as any BA I have ever seen.
Then, part timers are used to help the other drivers that are over dispatched.
Part timers are working the hours for part time pay, doing drivers work.
There are many various ways my center hides the facts and I doubt we are the exception.

I could care less.
I try to work safely all day.

I am curious, how do you know all this infromation. We only saw our satellite driver about 3 or 4 times a year when I worked and believe me he was clueless about how things were ran on a daily basis at our center. He hated "coming to town". I don't even think some of our center managers even knew he existed. His only source of info was from the driver who shuttled his load up to him and according to him they didn't talk much about how things were back at the center because he didn't care.

old levi's

blank space
I had never heard of a satellite driver before this place. Or a "safety" driver. Where can I sign up?:wink2::wink2:

Be careful what you wish for. Do you want to start your route everyday at 10:45 - 11:00, get home after 2100 all year long, and drive 80 miles each day in your personal car without reimbursement when gas is $3.85 per gallon. Did I mention loading your truck in the rain and handling each pkg. 2 or 3 times. But wait, you also get to double handle all of your pickup pieces.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
One of our cover drivers does a lot of safety audits all the time. He is on vacation this week and is ticked off right now. He didn't get a vacation check because he didn't have enough hours to show up for reporting to work.

swing_drv

Thanks for all the input. At least I know this isn't the only place this is happening. It still seems like it should be a full time position with a different classification. He gets top pay and will retire all in one piece plus taking up a valuable vacation spots on the list.

Be careful what you wish for. Do you want to start your route everyday at 10:45 - 11:00, get home after 2100 all year long, and drive 80 miles each day in your personal car without reimbursement when gas is $3.85 per gallon. Did I mention loading your truck in the rain and handling each pkg. 2 or 3 times. But wait, you also get to double handle all of your pickup pieces.

Isnt that logistics?

packageguy

Thanks for all the input. At least I know this isn't the only place this is happening. It still seems like it should be a full time position with a different classification. He gets top pay and will retire all in one piece plus taking up a valuable vacation spots on the list.

all good things come to and end,

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We have one of those drivers. A couple weeks ago he got caught breaking all kinds of rules during an on area observation and the next morning he was in the office getting a 3 day suspension. The same day he got the suspension he stayed in the building to help organize the big safety cookout that night.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We have one of those drivers. A couple weeks ago he got caught breaking all kinds of rules during an on area observation and the next morning he was in the office getting a 3 day suspension. The same day he got the suspension he stayed in the building to help organize the big safety cookout that night.

$5 says he will go into management within a year...............

Just_another_day_at_work

You guys were the only one in our building that had cookout this year. I was jealous. :)