Any Preloaders taking pre-workout supplements

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Correct about fiber.

I mentioned apples, granola bars...plenty of fiber in those. fiber in the bread you eat can make it much more healthy and useful for your body. (multi-grain, whole wheat , at least 2g per slice - I look for 3g+) ....

Eating bad isn't a good thing. I realize a little here and there is fine, but packing on saturated fat cholesterol and calories is not a good idea no matter who you are.

UPS is not somewhere you are going to burn 1- 2,000 calories , such as running a 10k. I would imagine most people burn 500-1000 in a 3.5 hour shift. Unless you're working out hard elsewhere, stick with a healthy diet (low sat fat, cholesterol, moderate calories, high fiber, nutritious) and not much else.
I would say that even if you are working out hard elsewhere, you should stick with a healthy diet. Lean protein and steamed vegetables ftw!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
i'd also like to add that a good breakfast and lunch are far more important to me than a good dinner.

"Dinner" is an overrated American ideal to me. Nothing more confusing than eating 60% of your daily intake of food before you go sleep for eight hours. 90% of my protein is taken in early or mid-day, anyway.

dinner is routinely some fresh boiled carrots and broccoli, a bowl of cereal, a clif bar..maybe an apple, too. Apple and cereal types of things can be a great sleep aid when practiced regularly!

You will be much more energetic at work and not "crash" when you get into a routine that your body likes. Find out what works for you and stay with it.

none of this really has to do with supplements, rather help avoid them. lol

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Correct about fiber.

I mentioned apples, granola bars...plenty of fiber in those. fiber in the bread you eat can make it much more healthy and useful for your body. (multi-grain, whole wheat , at least 2g per slice - I look for 3g+) ....

Eating bad isn't a good thing. I realize a little here and there is fine, but packing on saturated fat cholesterol and calories is not a good idea no matter who you are.

UPS is not somewhere you are going to burn 1- 2,000 calories , such as running a 10k. I would imagine most people burn 500-1000 in a 3.5 hour shift. Unless you're working out hard elsewhere, stick with a healthy diet (low sat fat, cholesterol, moderate calories, high fiber, nutritious) and not much else.

The winning horse of the kentucky always eats his / her oats in the morning. Oat meal is probably the best way to get fiber. The bars, not so much since it comes with sugar and salts.

As for fats, I beg the difference. I undersyand if one sits behind a desk or does very little a night. Im looking into getting an optimitor to see how much I walk at night. A lot more goes into how ones matebolism works. One thing might with one person which might not work for another. Weight, size and amount for work given. I've seen people drop 70 pounds like nothing because of the demand here. While others with less stressful jobs as an air driver seems to getting fatter.

To lose weight, cholesterol and fat. All one has to do is rasie the heart rate for 30 mintues at a time and keep it up.

As for how much is burned off during a shift, no one has a real clue as to how much. I wish they do a study on it to show how much is spent a night, especially on my side. Where I would say 300 per hour is a good start.

If I get the meter, I could post results back on to how many miles ( if any ) walked a day, week and month.

curiousbrain

I would be curious, at least; I've often wondered what the distance covered is of an average preloader per day and per week.

If you do conduct the study, I would be more than intrigued as to the results - relative to time worked, etc.

That would not account for the effort exerted to carry weight, but as far as the distance walked it would be a baseline statistic.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
i'd also like to add that a good breakfast and lunch are far more important to me than a good dinner.

"Dinner" is an overrated American ideal to me. Nothing more confusing than eating 60% of your daily intake of food before you go sleep for eight hours. 90% of my protein is taken in early or mid-day, anyway.

dinner is routinely some fresh boiled carrots and broccoli, a bowl of cereal, a clif bar..maybe an apple, too. Apple and cereal types of things can be a great sleep aid when practiced regularly!

You will be much more energetic at work and not "crash" when you get into a routine that your body likes. Find out what works for you and stay with it.

none of this really has to do with supplements, rather help avoid them. lol

Dinner is somewhat overrated. Carbs eaten late at night ( then sleep ) is the highest reason why obesity in this country is so rampant. Protein, when body is in motion, spends quickly after just 15 minutes of movement. A little earlier and less amounts. Such as more meals, less portion.

My meals are large and have a lot of calories. The crash happens around friday when my body is on the brink of exhaustion. I dont know what you do or how much you get, but people have passed out doing my set a few times. That being most preloaders are 100 pounds less then me. Some of them praise a good diet as well. Eat right and well, passes out the next day.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I would be curious, at least; I've often wondered what the distance covered is of an average preloader per day and per week.

If you do conduct the study, I would be more than intrigued as to the results - relative to time worked, etc.

That would not account for the effort exerted to carry weight, but as far as the distance walked it would be a baseline statistic.

I think some optimitors do account for weight and height ontop of distanced walked. Some that count calories too.

I will try in a few weeks to obtian one. I'm on vacation at the moment. Curious to figure this one out.

UPS would never allow or do the this type of study. They and others would find out the huge differences of work load person to person. Here at UPS equality only goes so far.

curiousbrain

I think some optimitors do account for weight and height ontop of distanced walked. Some that count calories too.

I will try in a few weeks to obtian one. I'm on vacation at the moment. Curious to figure this one out.

UPS would never allow or do the this type of study. They and others would find out the huge differences of work load person to person. Here at UPS equality only goes so far.

If there are restrictions against it, don't do it - or, at the very least, consider my curiosity quenched.

I am also curious how it would feel to eat leaves, but I'm perfectly content not performing a study about it.

BroDan

It would be pretty awesome to see how much calories we burn during a shift, i doubt those results would ever be made public though

UnconTROLLed

perfection
This whole "crash" thing is new to me. Yeah I've needed a nap on occasion but it is usually fleeting within a few minutes. Drink water, stay hydrated, eat a little protein several times during the day...fruits, veggies, fiber etc etc...

It's really ridiculous the latest diet fads, "energy" drinks, etc...

Just go back to when there was none of that available and live off of the good earth...your body will return to where it was designed and prepared to be.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
This whole "crash" thing is new to me. Yeah I've needed a nap on occasion but it is usually fleeting within a few minutes. Drink water, stay hydrated, eat a little protein several times during the day...fruits, veggies, fiber etc etc...

It's really ridiculous the latest diet fads, "energy" drinks, etc...

Just go back to when there was none of that available and live off of the good earth...your body will return to where it was designed and prepared to be.

A crash is when your body hits a wall and can do much other then go at a slow pace. I hustle all week, but the stress of the week takes its toll. And it happens once in a blue moon. The more calories I take in, the less chance of a crash happening.

The drinks are nothing more then snake potion to me as well. Although a powerade, sleep and before a few hours a shift does has its effects.

This job sucks, no no I enjoy it. What sucks is that I can get 3 hours of sleep and be good for the next 24 hours. The endurance of the job has caused me to lose sleep or resort to sleeping aids.

As I go back to talk in favor of raw eggs. Nothing more pure and burns free then prefected octane. Havnt done it in awhile though, all on endurance alone.

Funny thing about health is that its a different edge every other year. One year eggs are bad, the next they are perfect food. Alike today vitman D is the big rage, yet the body creates it from being in the sun. Funny us humans, ready for the next snake charmer potions.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
OK, that was funny !!

Last time I had poptarts before a shift I was helping unload. I ate them right beforehand. I soon burped so bad the guy next to me was grossed out by it, lol.

I cant eat before a shift or during one. Too much activity and food in the stomach creates GAS!! ( at both ends XD )

themidge

For the people saying you don't need anything but exercise outside of work and a balanced diet to stay sharp you must be nearing retirement if you believe that. As a bodybuilder my job and workout routines just exhaust me. As for the calories burned during a shift I would have to guess between the shift and the repair your body undergoes every day you are burning an extra three or four thousand calories. I drop fat like nothing if I don't eat upwards of four or five thousand a day. I can't gain muscle on less than seven thousand since I started working at UPS. Literally have to force feed myself.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
For the people saying you don't need anything but exercise outside of work and a balanced diet to stay sharp you must be nearing retirement if you believe that. As a bodybuilder my job and workout routines just exhaust me. As for the calories burned during a shift I would have to guess between the shift and the repair your body undergoes every day you are burning an extra three or four thousand calories. I drop fat like nothing if I don't eat upwards of four or five thousand a day. I can't gain muscle on less than seven thousand since I started working at UPS. Literally have to force feed myself.

I agree, I cant seem to keep weight on me no matter how hard I try. I really dont want to end up being 6'4" and 165 pounds. I float around 230 - 210.

curiousbrain

For the people saying you don't need anything but exercise outside of work and a balanced diet to stay sharp you must be nearing retirement if you believe that. [...] As for the calories burned during a shift I would have to guess between the shift and the repair your body undergoes every day you are burning an extra three or four thousand calories. [...]

Everyone is entitled to their opinions; you have yours and I disagree with it (which, of course, is my own opinion) - specifically, burning three to four thousand calories aggregate between a preload shift and muscle/tissue repair? I must be misunderstanding you, because that sounds outrageously high.

For most of the year, I am very active (chainsawing, other outdoor activites) and I cycle about 25 or more miles per day, depending on how much time I have away from working; I can easily put on weight if I eat like crap.

I would perhaps chalk up the difference between myself and you/ORLY!?! as different body chemistries and, perhaps, age.

Also, you classify yourself as a bodybuilder - that implies an extremely strict regimen which most people do not follow; that could be the source of the discrepancies, as well.

edit: To be a little more succinct, I would say that personally, I can always out eat the exercise I perform.

Last edited by a moderator:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Everyone is entitled to their opinions; you have yours and I disagree with it (which, of course, is my own opinion) - specifically, burning three to four thousand calories aggregate between a preload shift and muscle/tissue repair? I must be misunderstanding you, because that sounds outrageously high.

For most of the year, I am very active (chainsawing, other outdoor activites) and I cycle about 25 or more miles per day, depending on how much time I have away from working; I can easily put on weight if I eat like crap.

I would perhaps chalk up the difference between myself and you/ORLY!?! as different body chemistries and, perhaps, age.

Also, you classify yourself as a bodybuilder - that implies an extremely strict regimen which most people do not follow; that could be the source of the discrepancies, as well.

edit: To be a little more succinct, I would say that personally, I can always out eat the exercise I perform.

90 to 95% of the population are not "bodybuilders", exactly right.

Also agree, at least for a part-timer (3.5 hours) of intense package handling, no way you're burning 3k or 4k calories. cannot prove it, however I'm pretty sure they couldn't either.