Any Questions about FMLA/STD? I have your answers

InsideScoop

He can handle both mother and coming child in one application. It will cover all needs before and after the birth.
Nope. He can't. He has to apply for them separately. If he needs to take off periodically to take his wife to appointments he will file for an intermittent FMLA case to care for her due to her pregnancy.

The doctor will certify what he should be allowed to take off to be there for her (i.e. 1-2 times per month for 4-8 hours each time). Once she has the baby, that case is Null and Void. He will then have to file for a bonding case (which is much simpler because all he needs to do is send in 2 forms and the doctors authorization is not needed).

With a bonding case, he can stay out for however many weeks his desires (depending on the amount of hours he has). He could do intermittent bonding only if he lived in a state that allowed it (California, Washington, Wisconsin, etc).

Nope. He can't. He has to apply for them separately. If he needs to take off periodically to take his wife to appointments he will file for an intermittent FMLA case to care for her due to her preg .

The doctor will certify what he should be allowed to take off to be there for her (i.e. 1-2 times per month for 4-8 hours each time). Once she has the baby, that case is Null and Void. He will then have to file for a bonding case (which is much simpler because all he needs to do is send in 2 forms and the doctors authorization is not needed).

With a bonding case, he can stay out for however many weeks his desires (depending on the amount of hours he has). He could do intermittent bonding only if he lived in a state that allowed it (California, Washington, Wisconsin, etc).

Uh, yep he can. Have done so on each of my 3 kids and the corresponding pregnancies.

As far as Intermitant, it is a FEDERAL law and is only superseded by state law IF that states laws provide greater benefits.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Here is a question. What would happen if an employee was granted fmla. But was abusing it and using it on days it was not needed for what it was granted?

That being said the company should be absolutely,positively, sure before they take action. I've seen many an attempt backfire because mgmt didn't have the full story before they took steps that came back to bite them.

InsideScoop

Here is a question. What would happen if an employee was granted fmla. But was abusing it and using it on days it was not needed for what it was granted?
He/She would be required to recertify and their case would be subject to occ health review. If it is determined that they were over utilizing their time; their case will be denied and any time taken would be considered unauthorized.

InsideScoop

Uh, yep he can. Have done so on each of my 3 kids and the corresponding pregnancies.

As far as Intermitant, it is a FEDERAL law and is only superseded by state law IF that states laws provide greater benefits.
Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying here... Because if he requested FMLA to care for his wife due to her pregnancy, Once she has the baby, that FMLA case is no longer valid because she's no longer PREGNANT.

The only leave he could take would be bonding (with the child) UNLESS there was something that happened to her during the birth of the child which caused her to need further medical attention where he would need to be in her presence to provide assistance periodically.

InsideScoop

uh oh it appears we have our first dispute between our resident SME's. I wonder if someone could ask about the requirements when they apply?
I'm not even clear what he's begging to differ on though. I mean I review and approve these cases all day long so I know what's required lol

InsideScoop

In my area STD is provide through the union so how are you going to help troll...

I was on it a month ago...
Well regardless if it's handled through your union, u still have to come through the HRSC to provide your medical notes etc if you want to keep your benefits active and your job secure. so... You tell me?... Troll

UPSGUY72

Well regardless if it's handled through your union, u still have to come through the HRSC to provide your medical notes etc if you want to keep your benefits active and your job secure. so... You tell me?... Troll

Again you don't know what your talking about. My Benefits ( healthcare is run by the union and I only have to work 150 hrs one month and than I'm good for the next 6 months.

In my area you go to the union office and get a STD form you fill it out have the HR person sign it and have you DR fill out a portion and hand it back to the union office and then they send you a check.