Any tips for preload newbie?

artist

Hi, just got hired and starting tomorrow on preload. Any senior or anyone that just started have any tips for this newbie? I already know that I should bring a jug of water and wear shoes that would protect my toes. Anything I need to know or tips/tricks on how to stack boxes etc.

Hopefully your facility has PAS, which eliminates the need for you to learn a zillion splits. With PAS you just read the label and it tells you where the package goes. Also hopefully your facility has a boxline instead of conveyor. With boxlines you don't have to worry much about your packages piling up, but with conveyors you do.

Wear good shoes, bring plenty to drink and try not to puke on your first day.

Good luck to ya bro.

huskervi

Get an area, and tell your sup you would like to stay in that area. That way you get to know your trucks and drivers. If you do this you will get to know your adds and it will greatly reduce your misloads. I like to try and get my bins emptied at the first half of the day, that way Im not rushing and having to stack at the end of the day. If you have stacks at the end of the day, they will bring you help and alot of the time your help will not know and cause misloads. Your sups are going to put alot of pressure on you to speed up and what not. Get into your groove, do whats easy for you, it will be tough for the 1st 1-3 weeks but you will get the hang of it. One thing to know sorters are complete morons, theyve got an easier job than you and they still cant do it right cuss em out every chance you get

W

westsideworma

What exactly does PAS Stand for, and how does it work? Also, what is a boxline? Thanks

PAS = Preload Assist System (some would say its a misnomer). Its a little sticker (a PAL..Preload Assist Label) tells you what truck it goes on and where on said truck it goes. Just pray the label is right and on the right box.

A boxline is a three tiered set of color coded cages that revolves between two lines of package cars. A boxline is often preferred among loaders because its easier to plan your load than say a belt where if you don't get all your packages when they come your way your screwed. We have one belt to car center in our hub (in addition to 2 boxlines). I'd much rather load from a boxline.

thebrownbox

For the past two weeks they put me as doing sorting.. Its ok and last week they had me scanning packages that did not scan when coming off the truck.

I do have to ask what happens when a person misses a package on the preload? I thought it just comes around again? Here they use the conveyor belts.

PAS stickers get applied as the packages are unloaded. If that doesn't work then usually there is another area where they get reprocessed (Data Acq area).

Dump and Run

Hey Skid, I'm sure you learned to count a long time ago. Please, Please, Please remember how to and put the pkgs in the order they go. Your driver will really appreciate it. Another thing, 1 big box on the floor and 6 little ones on the shelf is better than the other way around. It will probably seem overwhelming at first, just remember the methods and it will get better.

SIKDMAX

I don't think Skid will be loading cars, he is definatley going to be an unloader/grunt. JMO

Whys that? I went in today for my interview and start tomorrow afternoon for training, and made such a positive impression on the HR rep that she said she is going to have me skip feeder unload like the rest of new hires and go straight to package car loading. Maybe Skid is in same boat?

LKLND3380

Whys that? I went in today for my interview and start tomorrow afternoon for training, and made such a positive impression on the HR rep that she said she is going to have me skip feeder unload like the rest of new hires and go straight to package car loading. Maybe Skid is in same boat?

Usually that means they have more than enough unloaders and sorters BUT because of peak they are adding extra routes and need people to load these extra cars... The plus side is you are getting $1.00 more than the unloaders...

SIKDMAX

Usually that means they have more than enough unloaders and sorters BUT because of peak they are adding extra routes and need people to load these extra cars... The plus side is you are getting $1.00 more than the unloaders...

Possibly. 6 are starting tomorrow and the 5 others are all unloading (1 is my roommate) so well see.

artist

Thanks for tips, I started today and I think I didn't do well lol. I think I put boxes in the wrong self etc which was supposed to be in numerical order I think some of the helper did too. They just tossed it in and put it ever where. I rearrange some I hope I don't get yelled at or something lol it was non stop today for me. All I can say that this job will help you burn calories, I was put on two truck and my boxes was piling up when my trainer help me pull and I have to load. It was overwhelming by going back and forth from those two trucks and even went into a wrong one. I think I'm going to do better tomorrow since I kind of of got the hang of it. At the end of the day trainer told me good job are you showing up tomorrow? lol I say yes and ask why do people usually quit on the 1st day? she said yes lol. I have question..
1.Do I leave big boxes out and load them later like the ones that supposed to be on RDR

2.When I pull boxes from the conveyor should I load them right away or leave them on the side and load them later? since I'm afraid I would miss some while I'm loading.

3. 2nd delivery mail where should I put them still in numerical orders? because trainer told me make sure to load them correctly if the driver didn't deliver it on time that I will get in trouble.

4.Boxes with UMD label where do I usually put them? do I load them and stack them like the normal or one or I have to put them in a preferred self?

5. Since on my first day as a part-timer I arrive at 3am and left at 8:35am does that consider overtime? they didnt even show me how to clock in... just told me to write it down at the end of the day. What do I need to clock in? I see people punching in some sort of code is that the employee ID# because I didnt received my #

any help would be appreciated.
PS: met a fellow loader today and was helping me out without the trainer asking him to. He gave me boxes that I miss instead of standing around. :happy2: so I think my first day at UPS was great and met some funny out going people and some people that mad dog me(giving me a mean look)

Fnix

The irregs and big boxes you should keep out of your (egress) way while loading. That means inside the truck as well. If it's something long like a carpet or pole lay it on the floor of the truck or put it in between the trucks.

Phil800101

The best advice I can give about loading package cars is to try and look at things from the driver's perspective with your load. If it's an early stop (1000,2000 shelf; RDR, RDL, RDC, Next Day Air, Early AM, etc.), make sure that the driver can get to it. Also, if you have to put something on the floor do to size, put everything else for that stop with that package (or packages) if possible, it helps the driver alot if all the stuff for one stop is together, instead of some on the floor and some on the shelf. Also, use that shelf space! All too often I see newbies who try to load everything on the edge of the shelf (like you are usually told in training), but it will all never fit like that. It is ok to put boxes/bags behind other ones, provided it makes sense to do so. For now, follow the PAL labels and the PAS system, if you do it correctly they can't really get on your case. However, if you do get assigned to specific trucks, learn what you can about the route from the driver. Specifically, try to learn in what order he/she delivers his/her earliest and/or bulk stops, especially the rear door stuff. It's important to know what he/she offloads first from the rear, so that you can have that at the very back of the truck for quick access. Also, sometimes (in my experience...often) the driver delivers stuff somewhat out of PAL order, or they want a certain stop (or stops) in a different spot than what the PAL label says. If you can, try and learn what any of this stuff is and where to load it. Trust me, it will make your job and his/hers alot easier. Good luck, and stay hydrated.

artist

The best advice I can give about loading package cars is to try and look at things from the driver's perspective with your load. If it's an early stop (1000,2000 shelf; RDR, RDL, RDC, Next Day Air, Early AM, etc.), make sure that the driver can get to it. Also, if you have to put something on the floor do to size, put everything else for that stop with that package (or packages) if possible, it helps the driver alot if all the stuff for one stop is together, instead of some on the floor and some on the shelf. Also, use that shelf space! All too often I see newbies who try to load everything on the edge of the shelf (like you are usually told in training), but it will all never fit like that. It is ok to put boxes/bags behind other ones, provided it makes sense to do so. For now, follow the PAL labels and the PAS system, if you do it correctly they can't really get on your case. However, if you do get assigned to specific trucks, learn what you can about the route from the driver. Specifically, try to learn in what order he/she delivers his/her earliest and/or bulk stops, especially the rear door stuff. It's important to know what he/she offloads first from the rear, so that you can have that at the very back of the truck for quick access. Also, sometimes (in my experience...often) the driver delivers stuff somewhat out of PAL order, or they want a certain stop (or stops) in a different spot than what the PAL label says. If you can, try and learn what any of this stuff is and where to load it. Trust me, it will make your job and his/hers alot easier. Good luck, and stay hydrated.
Thanks Phil, this is exactly what the two drivers that I load the truck for told me today. I made mistakes on the first day without misload but some boxes was mis place and one of the driver was not really happy about it(and gave me some tips) but I told him I do my best and that I just need to get the hang of it. But today I ran in a little problem trainer told me that I need to load another truck and mis understood her, so I ask the driver that was loading the truck just to make sure and he say no just stick to those . But I notice at the end of the shift he complain to one of the worker there not sure who he is and he told him "hey look at this one(his truck) and compare to this one(the truck I load)" he seem to be pissed off because he have to load or something. I notice he makes childish sound(like hes disable/handicap person) when calling out my number when he see my boxes on the conveyor. Sorry I'm just venting, its just I hate when a man like this don't tell me straight up on what my mistakes are and what I should do instead of talking behind my back like I'm to dumb to even know that hes talking about me when I do. Hey what can you expect when I just started. The two drivers that I load for, came into day I think early just to tell me. I don't get to see the drivers, they come in later. So tomorrow I think when I see him I'm going to ask how you want me to load his truck since its going to be my first time.

Question for marking the boxes with number, do I really need to do this? if I dont it seem like it would save me time and I would be going at a faster pace.

kingOFchester

Thanks Phil, this is exactly what the two drivers that I load the truck for told me today. I made mistakes on the first day without misload but some boxes was mis place and one of the driver was not really happy about it(and gave me some tips) but I told him I do my best and that I just need to get the hang of it. But today I ran in a little problem trainer told me that I need to load another truck and mis understood her, so I ask the driver that was loading the truck just to make sure and he say no just stick to those . But I notice at the end of the shift he complain to one of the worker there not sure who he is and he told him "hey look at this one(his truck) and compare to this one(the truck I load)" he seem to be pissed off because he have to load or something. I notice he makes childish sound(like hes disable/handicap person) when calling out my number when he see my boxes on the conveyor. Sorry I'm just venting, its just I hate when a man like this don't tell me straight up on what my mistakes are and what I should do instead of talking behind my back like I'm to dumb to even know that hes talking about me when I do. Hey what can you expect when I just started. The two drivers that I load for, came into day I think early just to tell me. I don't get to see the drivers, they come in later. So tomorrow I think when I see him I'm going to ask how you want me to load his truck since its going to be my first time.

Question for marking the boxes with number, do I really need to do this? if I dont it seem like it would save me time and I would be going at a faster pace.

Well, I a new too. 2.5 months in. Training was a joke. Once I got to my trucks I was given about 5 minutes of 'how to load" and that was it. I trained on several trucks for 1 week before I was given the 3 that I do now. First week with the three trucks was a nightmare. No one to help, and loading 1000 Pkgs in 3-3.25 hours was a little overwhelming. keeping eye on the lower belt while trying to juggle packages and follow proper techniques......oi it was tough. To top it off, the one driver started out as a real jerk. "Why did you do this" ........ "don't you think?"....."why don't you stay at home and let me load" This was just the first 3 days. Funny too was that the one driver told me "if the 8000 shelf is full just put the extra boxes on 7000 as I do 7000 first and will see the 8000 boxes even before I get to them" The jerk driver said to me, when I had followed the other drivers advice "why did you put the 8000 on the 7000 shelf???? they are fing miles apart." On day four he started to open his mouth and I said, in a very stern voice while looking him eye to eye "look, if you have a problem take it to my sup or manager.....be glad I got the :censored2: on your truck.......now if you want to treat me like a human being then we can discuss your preferences like men" He said "woooooo slow down..... I am trying to help" I cut him off with "Then act like it" to which I walked away. we have since gotten to be pretty friendly and things have worked out. don't let ANYONE walk over you. treat others with respect and demand it for yourself, and you will be far better off!! As far as marking the box’s…….I would do it in the beginning until you have the swing of things. I did it for a few weeks. Now I only do it when the SUPS tell us the ties will be coming around and so we need to write and follow everything by the book

SIKDMAX

Man... first day of work. Nuts... start off sorting upper/lower for about a half hour, then got sent to unload feeders. Me and a parter did 4 trailers, then the second I was done I was told to go help on 2 others, and then I did 25 or so bags of smalls.

When we finally got out, I went straight to my truck and puked. Definately the hardest work Ive ever done in my life... talkin to guys there that have been there 30 years! I dont see how you do it!

I was for sure I wasn't coming back again this morning, but I think Im going to go again tomorrow. My back is killing me, and i know eveyrone is gonna say lifting, but its more of the constant bending up and down picking boxes up off the ground of the feeder. Sort was cool, hopefully Ill be able to stick it out there, or get a package car or 3 :happy-very:

Question.... how are jobs assigned? For example, we had 3 feeders unloading at a time, each with their own PAL Scanner/ Sticker applier. Is that a bid job? They never changed, and I would assume this is their permanent job. I assume the newbies are just kind of shuffled around where help is needed, until more come in. Hopefully with peak being here soon, more will come!