Anybody have hernia surgery? Out how long?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Just wondering who has had hernia surgery and how long were you out of work? Tell the good, bad, ugly or funny or whatever you want to share about the experience.

wo88upsman

Had it last Friday morning. On vacation this week going back to work next Monday night but I am in feeders. Pain was not bad at all, was sore around incision from the get go but soreness is getting less every day.

Had it last Friday morning. On vacation this week going back to work next Monday night but I am in feeders. Pain was not bad at all, was sore around incision from the get go but soreness is getting less every day.
How long before you can have sex?

I'm not propositioning you just wondered how long to expect to be out of commission if I have it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Depends where your hernia is at

Hernias are when you get a rip in a muscle, they can happen all over your body. The groin area hernia is the most commonly known since its caused by lifting. Six to eight weeks is the usual recovery time. Make sure you report the injury when it happens so the company will pay workmen's comp. My first two they refused to pay because I didn't report the injury that day. The first time I thought I had just sprained something since the pain stopped in a few minutes, when the second one tore on the other side it felt different. The third I reported minutes after it happened, I had no trouble with Liberty Mutual. I got a big $90 a day, they started paying in no time.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Im just using my Aflac. I cant really pinpoint exactly when it happened. Not sure that's exactly what it is. Going to get it checked out the week im off in March. Think its the kind that doesn't pertrude out. More in my stomach than the groin area, that's why im not exactly sure if its a hernia. But id be willing to bet it is though.

gingerkat

Hernia's or suspected hernias should always be looked at by a doctor. One way to see if you have one in the abdominal area is to lay on your back and do a crunch. You will see a little bulge in the mid-line of your belly pop up. But only a doctor or surgeon can really tell by feeling your muscles.

I've had two ventral or incisional (abdominal) hernias and it had to be fixed. If you don't fix them, you run the risk of your intestine becoming entrapped, strangulated and the tissue could die causing serious complications.

I had twenty-two staples in me, I think and it sucked! I took off 10 weeks my first time and then 6 my second surgery (6 years apart). Having your stomach muscles cut is a really hard thing to deal with. Take your time going back to work Jump, especially with a physical job. Trust me, when you cough or sneeze after this surgery, you'll cry!

Anyway, good luck and don't wait too long.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Thank you. Any information anyone can give me on the subject is much obliged lol. I forget the name of the kind that is like near your stomach that doesn't stick out. Trust me im ready to take a nice long AFLAC vacation. Its well needed for me physically and mentally. No hurry to go back. My health is the most important thing before I go back to work.

gingerkat

Not all hernias stick out. Some have a bigger opening for the intestine to stick through. From my memory, the one's with the larger opening are better, because you can push them back. The one's that have a tiny opening can get stuck or strangulated easier making them more dangerous and more of an emergency situation. Don't be your own doctor Jump, okay? You only have this one body, take care of it.

In an inguinal hernia, the intestine or the bladder protrudes through the abdominal wall or into the inguinal canal in the groin. About 80% of all hernias are inguinal, and most occur in men because of a natural weakness in this area.

In an incisional hernia, the intestine pushes through the abdominal wall at the site of previous abdominal surgery. This type is most common in elderly or overweight people who are inactive after abdominal surgery.

A femoral hernia occurs when the intestine enters the canal carrying the femoral artery into the upper thigh. Femoral hernias are most common in women, especially those who are pregnant or obese.

In an umbilical hernia, part of the small intestine passes through the abdominal wall near the navel. Common in newborns, it also commonly afflicts obese women or those who have had many children.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Yeah going in a month to get it checked out. Not in great pain or anything. Just some discomfort in my stomach. Ill be ok for 4 weeks. No biggee. Going week im on vacation in march. Just don't want to miss any time before then that's all. But thanks for the concern. We all have to look out for one another that's for sure.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Do not come back too early and push it. We have had a guy back and gone 2-3 times because they forced him back to work too soon.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
No hurry SLAVEMAN not at all. That's where the Aflac comes in handy. You can take your own sweet time coming back to work. Stay at home n chill n make pretty much what im making now, milkin that cow lol.

pretender

I was cleared to go back after four weeks, but I took a couple extra weeks of vacation time for good measure. The pain was not bad at all, after you learn how to "roll" out of bed. However, you do not want to watch anything funny on TV, and avoid sneezing if at all possible!

Sent using BrownCafe App