Anybody heard of Access Point?

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Last week a group of suits came tour center at PCM and discussed this "Access Point" program where residential stops in a half block radius will automatically be delivered to a nearby business. That business that participates will get 50 cents for every package scanned. They only have it New York, Chicago, and now testing it inmy center in San Francisco. Don't know if this is good or bad? Ugggghhhhhhkkkk!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Last week a group of suits came tour center at PCM and discussed this "Access Point" program where residential stops in a half block radius will automatically be delivered to a nearby business. That business that participates will get 50 cents for every package scanned. They only have it New York, Chicago, and now testing it inmy center in San Francisco. Don't know if this is good or bad? Ugggghhhhhhkkkk!!!

How is this any different than the mailman delivering to one of those mailboxes found at apartment complexes?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I thought this was a "dating" thread?

images

Last edited:
Z

ZQXC

I did and it makes sense. Proprietor signs for the packages thus releasing UPS from any and all liability. Driver leaves 10 or more stops at one delivery point. Sounds like a win/win.

Swell, when it comes to your area, and you put it into practice, let us know how well it works.

PT Car Washer

The UPS Store does it because that is part of their business. The Apartment management does it as part of their service to their renters. What does the corner business get out of it other then 50 cents and a lot of headaches.

worldwide

Plenty of information online about UPS Access Points.

These have been used for more than 10 years at more than 11,000 locations in Europe but they are called Kiala (the name of the company UPS bought).

One delivery attempt made by the driver and if the customer is not home and a signature is required (no DR option), the package is left at a nearby (within 1 mile) location that is open late and on the weekends (i.e. pharmacy, convenience store, etc.). Special Infonotice is left with details about where the package was left. Customer is happy because they get their package without having to go to the UPS Customer Center; driver is happy since its only one delivery attempt; shipper happy because their customer gets their delivery on first attempt); UPS is happy since it reduces send-agains.

According to press release, there will be 20,000 Access Points in the US by the end of 2015 (including all The UPS Store locations).

What's not to like - everyone wins with this option...and the competition has nothing like it.

worldwide

The UPS Store does it because that is part of their business. The Apartment management does it as part of their service to their renters. What does the corner business get out of it other then 50 cents and a lot of headaches.

Retail is all about getting people in the door. It's not about the $0.50. Get someone in your business that may have never came in before and they may buy something. Very low-cost way to get potential customers in your door. Most retail customers would love to have that kind of "headache" of new customers walking in the door for the first time.

PT Car Washer

Retail is all about getting people in the door. It's not about the $0.50. Get someone in your business that may have never came in before and they may buy something. Very low-cost way to get potential customers in your door. Most retail customers would love to have that kind of "headache" of new customers walking in the door for the first time.
I guess I was thinking more about some of the horror stories you hear about the customer counter.

rod

Retired 22 years
Seems some on here think this would be a sweet idea. Not so. If you were able to consolidate all your residential stops into just a few drop off points UPS would do two things. Replace those stops with more business stops and cut those drivers who had been delivering them. Its a lose-lose situation.

O

OLDMAN3

So the embarrassing packages will also be automatically re-routed? And who is reponsible for concealed damage packages?
I hope the original receiver has to opt-in!
The net effect for the driver is that you will get credit for 1 stop when you would normally get credit for multiple stops.
So packages per stop go up. You get credit for fewer stops. Customer has to travel to the business. Claims problems. Sounds like a win-win...NOT.

dezguy

Plenty of information online about UPS Access Points.

These have been used for more than 10 years at more than 11,000 locations in Europe but they are called Kiala (the name of the company UPS bought).

One delivery attempt made by the driver and if the customer is not home and a signature is required (no DR option), the package is left at a nearby (within 1 mile) location that is open late and on the weekends (i.e. pharmacy, convenience store, etc.). Special Infonotice is left with details about where the package was left. Customer is happy because they get their package without having to go to the UPS Customer Center; driver is happy since its only one delivery attempt; shipper happy because their customer gets their delivery on first attempt); UPS is happy since it reduces send-agains.

According to press release, there will be 20,000 Access Points in the US by the end of 2015 (including all The UPS Store locations).

What's not to like - everyone wins with this option...and the competition has nothing like it.
We have been doing that here for almost 5 years...

upschuck

From what I understand, is that an Access Point is used when the customer uses MyChoice and redirects it, and not a blanket delivery for a subdivision to be delivered to a central location. Unless they have changed the program, this has been active since at least the beginning of the year.

tacken

Its there rodeo. I am along for the cashhhhhhhhhhhh. Complaints- crying -arguing ,do no good, you should just talk to your PC you will get the same answer. Go in pick up diad go deliver get paid. Rinse and repeat MON-FRI.