Anyone ever had a hernia????

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I thought your balls got as large as golfballs, I being serious here? Brown, when you lifted something I didnt hurt at all??

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have had three. The first one hurt for a few moments when it first happened. I thought I just had strained a muscle, I didn't realize it actually tore. Pain went away, I was a new driver 25 years ago and didn't file an injury report that day. When the bulge showed up a week later, my Center Manager told me I couldn't prove I did it at work, even though I was on a heavy industrial route handling a thousand boxes a day. Workman's Comp denied, out about eight weeks with no pay.

Second one was the other side. Didn't feel any sharp pain like the first, just thought it was a sore muscle. No injury report filed that day, claim denied. center manager was real nice, he let me move some of my vacations up so I got two or three checks. Credit card bills got high just like the last time.

Third one was about three years ago, about eighteen years since the one before. I felt a pain in my side after picking up a 50 lb box too fast. I immediantely called the office to report it and filed a report that night. I had retorn one of my old hernias. No problems with Liberty Mutual, I started getting those $450 a week checks in no time. I was out five weeks before I came back. So moral of the story, report all injuries that day, disregard your management team trying to talk you out of it.

over9five

Staff member
I had one. No pain at all. It was discovered at my DOT physical, and my card was pulled that night.
Was operated on, 3 weeks off, 3 weeks light duty.
Covered by comp. I got one call from the company nurse to ask me how I thought I got it. "Lifting heavy boxes", I said.
Wasn't a problem.

backinbrown

respect my authority
I have had three. The first one hurt for a few moments when it first happened. I thought I just had strained a muscle, I didn't realize it actually tore. Pain went away, I was a new driver 25 years ago and didn't file an injury report that day. When the bulge showed up a week later, my Center Manager told me I couldn't prove I did it at work, even though I was on a heavy industrial route handling a thousand boxes a day. Workman's Comp denied, out about eight weeks with no pay.

Second one was the other side. Didn't feel any sharp pain like the first, just thought it was a sore muscle. No injury report filed that day, claim denied. center manager was real nice, he let me move some of my vacations up so I got two or three checks. Credit card bills got high just like the last time.

Third one was about three years ago, about eighteen years since the one before. I felt a pain in my side after picking up a 50 lb box too fast. I immediantely called the office to report it and filed a report that night. I had retorn one of my old hernias. No problems with Liberty Mutual, I started getting those $450 a week checks in no time. I was out five weeks before I came back. So moral of the story, report all injuries that day, disregard your management team trying to talk you out of it.

was surgery needed

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Had surgery. Out about 4 weeks. Doc put in some kind of mesh to repair it. No idea when it happened.

Brown, when you lifted something I didnt hurt at all??

I'm glad you didn't feel it when I got hurt. LOL

Coldworld

60 months and counting
scratch, that has to be a record..congrats.So, do these things occur over time or is it usually after really straining yourself one time. Does a lump always form when you get a hernia?

SmithBarney

Cold world, I was going to put a link up... But I'll let you do it.
Go to google and do an Image search for hernia.. Caution not for the weak hearted

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Cold world, I was going to put a link up... But I'll let you do it.
Go to google and do an Image search for hernia.. Caution not for the weak hearted

no, go ahead...Im someone who will faint at the sight of blood, no really...you do the honors!

DeputyDip

Backwoods Hillbilly
You feel a sharp burn to the left or right near or below belt line... Hurts when you stand up after sitting and relaxing for a while... Go #1 and it feels like your belly button is being sucked out through your wang... I have been told that once you tear the lining that holds things in down there it never reheals itself...

My dad hardly missed a days work in the 19 years I was at home, except for hernia surgery. For almost a week he did good to get out of bed. He told me to quit horsing stuff around and get help because I didn't want any of it. As you can tell by my aforementioned description, I don't listen well. Has not hurt in a couple of years, but it is there just waiting for me to make it angry again.

bluehdmc

I've had 5, 3 ingunial, (the kind you turn your head and cough for). 2 on the right side 1 on the left. The first one I think I was about 22 or so, got it fighting a log splitter. The doctor at the VA, (I didn't have insurance) said I could have gotten it by coughing. I got a femoral hernia on the right side, it looked the same as an inguinal, (just a lump where you didn't have one before). I currently have 1 at my belly button, just looks like I have an outie, the doctor found that at my dot physical but still approved me. (go figure.) I'll get that fixed soon.
They're just strained muscles that hold you stomach, intestines, etc, in. The inguinals can be dangerous because if you strain too much you can push your intestine through them and strangulate it.
It's a same day surgery procedure, depending on the doctor and whether they do "laproscopic surgery", which is a like 1 inch incision in your abdomen, or a 3 or 4 inch cut the recovery time is 2 or 3 to 4 to 6 weeks. The only thing I was ever told was don't lift anything over 5lbs for the recovery period.
They cut out the strained muscle, sew it together usually weaving a nylon mesh through it, the 1st time they used a steel stiche, I guess that's why it had to be redone.
I've known people that were born with them, it's supposed to be pretty common.
It's not that big a deal, I'm like a railroad track below my belt area, between the hernia surgery's and a broken pelvis/ruptured bladder from a motorcycle accident. They won't do laproscopic surgery on me, but if the can that's the way to go. If you think you got one go to the doctor's and check it out. Good luck.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
was surgery needed

Hernias are ripped muscles, they will not just grow back together. All mine were repaired by surgery with a nylon patch to pull the tissue back together.

scratch, that has to be a record..congrats.So, do these things occur over time or is it usually after really straining yourself one time. Does a lump always form when you get a hernia?

I'm no medical expert, but I would imagine that the work we do weakens the tissue over time and eventually it tears. In some cases, it could be from a one time occurrence. Hernias can happen all over your body, mine were the common inguinal, which is a tear in the abdominal wall. The bulge is your small intestine pushing itself out through the torn muscle wall. If it is not fixed, it will cause serious trouble. The bulge did not show up until a few days after my injuries all three times. My last one was also at a hole where one of my arteries went through my abdominal wall. If you have an abnormal bulge sticking out your side, go to a doctor as soon as possible. You don't play around with these things.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I dont have a bulge, just wondering what the long term issues of this job are besides the divorces, drinking, the stress and.....