Anyone regret working for UPS?

Fnix

This is questioned more towards the old timers who have worked for UPS for a long time. Do you ever regret working for UPS because of your health or any other issues job related?

B

Bagger Brown

Some shoulder and knee issues. Worked in the hub and as a driver but I played a lot of sports too. UPS pays well and United Parcel Service was great. Don't regret the years with United Parcel Service though.

helenofcalifornia

Almost 30 years in, a bad shoulder and knees, but I would do it all over again. (Just a little bit more carefully) I like the camraderie (sp?) of the guys, the physicality of the job, being outside all day, the pay, and the shorts! Yeah, I would do it all over again.

Every day. Sometimes it`s only for a few seconds like a shiver up the spine. Some days I go through the day hating everything I can think of because everything ties into me working there. I think "if it wasn`t for this I wouldn`t have to work there". These are the days I feel as if I sold my soul. I wonder if it`s time to see a shrink?

DS

Fenderbender
I think there are days with every job that you hate it now and then.
I have 18 yrs in as a driver and I realize that if I do succumb to a knee or a back injury,I will become useless to ups and be tossed like a banana peel.Until that happens,its all good.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I regret the long hours, especially as my kids were growing up. I am a single mom and I really believe we would all (me and my kids) be in a better position emotionally and my boys especially financially and emotionally if I had done something else and been home. They just didn't get the supervision and attention they needed to become the men I believe they could have.

27 yrs as a pkg. driver and the knees are almost shot as well shoulders, elbows and wrists. Please Dear Lord --- just a few more years till the real estate market and the 401 K pops back up there. And whats that you said? cant hear you either. Thows old 6's and 8's were noisey. I don't regret the good years when we were employees and not just numbers that could be deleted with a push of the mouse button,and when managers and supervisors treated you like a person and not a machine . I do regret not listening to my dad when he told me to stay in school and get a good education and then a good job. But then again, there are a lot of well educated people out there now in the job market. They may have to sell 2 or 3 of their cars and maybe the summer home just to survive. At least I have a job and I'll get by. A person does what they have to do, please Mr. Devil be kind to my soul. Would recomend this job to someone else? Only if they could not get work milking cows or mucking septic tanks.

Tony31yrs

I've been out 2 years now and left pretty healthy. I got out at 50 and I will probably get arthritis in my wrists, knees and ankles someday, but as for now I still feel good. I was lucky to have never had any surgeries or major problems on my back or extremities.
I never minded the job itself because it allowed me to eat whatever I wanted and still stay in shape. I enjoyed the customers and the drivers and inside guys that I worked with. There were some supes that I liked, but a lot more that sometimes made the job almost unbearable. The job let me raise 2 kids and get them through college, but because of the hours I missed a lot of their early lives and activities in school. I had to sacrifice a lot and luckily my marriage made it through these tough years. I always made sure I didn't bring the job home and take it out on my wife and kids. Whether I could have done this without having weekends off I don't know.
How many other jobs would let you get out at 50 when you could enjoy the rest of your life with a good pension and health insurance? It was hard, often miserable work, but in the end it was worth it.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Every day. Sometimes it`s only for a few seconds like a shiver up the spine. Some days I go through the day hating everything I can think of because everything ties into me working there. I think "if it wasn`t for this I wouldn`t have to work there". These are the days I feel as if I sold my soul. I wonder if it`s time to see a shrink?
My thoughts ,too.
except I have seen a shrink, total waste of time. They can not grasp the amount of daily BS we go thru.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Nope. Walking into a UPS employment office in August 2003 was probably the best thing that's happened to me. Put me in great physical shape, put me through college (twice) and I learned a lot--about myself, my limits and what hard work really is. The hell of it is.....I'd do it all again in a New York minute!! -Rocky

upsdude

Do it all again? No.

I would have stayed in school and continued my career in law enforcement. Of course I would already be retired and doing something else. Or, I’d be posting on BC asking how can a retired cop get a job with UPS. LOL!

S

speeddemon

I would have finished college and worked in Education administration. The pay is fine, but its destroying my body.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I regret my life didnt turn out differently, but its not UPS that I regret.
I wish I had used my degree, but I was doing the single Mom thing too and I needed to make money, not be happy in my work.
The kids benefited as I didnt go full time until they were ready to get out of High school. And they are both doing great, so I thank ups for giving me the insurance, etc, to get them on their ways healthy and happy. Now though I wish I was doing something a little more fulfilling.

browndevil

This is questioned more towards the old timers who have worked for UPS for a long time. Do you ever regret working for UPS because of your health or any other issues job related?
I sometimes wish I finished college. But this was the late 80's and the economy was bad so I followed the money. I don't think I could have found the friendships with customers like I have through the years not doing this job. I have been invited to weddings, anniversaries. bat mitvahs, grad parties and the occassional backyard sunday BBQ. And the one that gets me is when customers feel the need to tell me that their dog has passed away because I have been leaving them a treat on the package for years. So no I wouldn't change a thing. Anyways I have the best job at UPS :happy2:

Fishbulb

4 years on the road, 2 years inside on the sort aisle. I loved the comraderie of the employees & the pay & benefits cant be beat. With a back injury & being pushed to resign I'm pretty disgusted but to be honest after working inside a cubicle at all my previous jobs I'd go back to UPS again. Nothing beats being out in the fresh air. The way I see it I sold my body to UPS but if I were in management or any other job I'd probably have to sell my soul. Guess it's a personal preference.