anyone schooled with 22.3 moves?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

....recently moved to a new building (hub).....bid into a clerk-sort combo job. I Get there and management tells me that they're not going to have me doing EITHER half of my bid. I understand one half of a 22.3 combo can be changed, but both halves? Can I back out of this job since they aren't giving me what I bid on and have no intentions of following the bid? Do I File a grievance? Just curious.

J

JonFrum

I.D.L.W.T.M.,

If you're under the New England Supplement, Article 57, Section 2B(1) now says,
. . .All moves from the [bi-annual] bid must be made by June 15th of the year the bidding selection took place. In the event the Employer violates this date, the subsequent bids will be on an annual basis in the local jurisdiction in which the violation took place for the duration of this Agreement. . . .

Article 57, Section 2D has always said,
When a delivery area is permanently split more than fifty percent (50%), the driver who bid the original route will have the choice of the routes resulting from the split and in this event, his choice shall not be considered as a new bid. (Emphasis added)

The 50% rule doesn't apply to 22.3 people, as I read it. Look into filing a grievance.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The 50% change rule is true.
But be careful , when they list what other jobs are still open. You could get something far worse.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I.D.L.W.T.M.,

If you're under the New England Supplement, Article 57, Section 2B(1) now says,

Article 57, Section 2D has always said,

The 50% rule doesn't apply to 22.3 people, as I read it. Look into filing a grievance.

Thanks Jon for the response.

Yes, the new language with biannual bid is there. The problem is, define "moves". Yes, I was moved. :sick: It's sickening. I can only imagine UPS will find a way to exploit the language indicating that there was only a promise of moving the employee, but not necessarily moved to their bid.

Not to wish bad upon anyone, but I'd love to see another example of this and the recourse taken.

ups391

We are having a big problem in my hub. Mgmt. is using the 22.3 jobs to manipulate workers. I am in a right to work state and the company is giving easy jobs to freeriders and workers who are essentially mgmt. suck ups. A few stewards have even made deals to shut their eyes to contract violations in order to get easy jobs. Active stewards and activists are thrown into the load-during the night shift. I have tried to file on a couple points-but the language for 22.3 is minimal. Of course, retaliation for union activity is a labor charge but at this juncture we can't get a lot of support from the NLRB. I continue to police the contract and file grievances when it is needed. When I load I go at a safe speed- they are coming at me from every direction though. Does anyone have any advice or is anyone else dealing with this?:biting:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

We are having a big problem in my hub. Mgmt. is using the 22.3 jobs to manipulate workers. I am in a right to work state and the company is giving easy jobs to freeriders and workers who are essentially mgmt. suck ups. A few stewards have even made deals to shut their eyes to contract violations in order to get easy jobs. Active stewards and activists are thrown into the load-during the night shift. I have tried to file on a couple points-but the language for 22.3 is minimal. Of course, retaliation for union activity is a labor charge but at this juncture we can't get a lot of support from the NLRB. I continue to police the contract and file grievances when it is needed. When I load I go at a safe speed- they are coming at me from every direction though. Does anyone have any advice or is anyone else dealing with this?:biting:

You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't. I know the feeling well, too.:sick:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

any update on this????

Yeah! Didn't want to "go nuts" as to detail...

UPS squeezed about 8 work days of 8+ hours of labor, sorting boxline 4 hours then 4+ loading trailers.

I couldn't do that anymore and my body was falling apart. I'm about 5'9 148lb and it was too much; already drained by lunch! After 3:30-4am, I could hardly walk and that is not an overstatement.

10,000 safe work days must mean something because my first half of bid (PAS clerk) they moved me from sorting boxline to in the office doing computer work. Can't complain! although it isn't a union job :sick:

anyway, squeaky wheel gets the grease so it seems.

still waiting for my last check in the previous building from 3 weeks ago! going to have to grieve to get that money I think.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
one of my 22.3 buddy called me yesterday about how they gonna change his tuesday-saturday combo job to monday - friday. He siad he was gonna grieve it claiming that the job he bid for is the job he will do. let's see how that gonna turn out.........

Babagounj

Strength through joy
IDLWTM; time to change your handle.:funny:

MR_Vengeance; I'm a 22.3 currently working Tues-Sat and I bid Mon-Fri , yet no one has spoken to me about when I'll move . Other junior employees have been moved already. I too would like to work the job I had bid for, actually I would make about $20 more a week. But most importantly I would be able to enjoy 3 day weekends ( when there is a Monday holiday ) something that current Tues-Sat employees are denied.