Appalachian Trail

tourists24

After what will be a 33 year career, Friday April 15th will be my last day at UPS. My retirement gift for myself is on April 18th when I will be leaving from Springer Mountain, GA and attempting my thru hike of the Appalachian Trail all the way to Mt Katahdin in Maine. I will be posting pics on here as time allows so if anyone might be interested in checking it out, stay tuned...... :teethy:

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
After what will be a 33 year career, Friday April 15th will be my last day at UPS. My retirement gift for myself is on April 18th when I will be leaving from Springer Mountain, GA and attempting my thru hike of the Appalachian Trail all the way to Mt Katahdin in Maine. I will be posting pics on here as time allows so if anyone might be interested in checking it out, stay tuned...... :teethy:
You lucky dog!
I've done some of it, but never got to start at the beginning and end at the end.
Congrats!

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
thx. I've been prepping for this for 2 years. Pretty excited. What parts have you done?
I've done just about all of the trails in western NC. Our oldest son lives just across the border in Tennessee.
I did West Virginia, Virginia border in the panhandle. Only a few miles of it is in Wet Virginia. Did that when we went to Harpers Ferry. Love history and civil war.
That movie with Redford and Nolte, A Walk In The Woods. My wife calls me Nolte because I'm a day tripper.
I love to hike. But, I love a good shower and a good meal cooked in a kitchen. Forget that laying on the ground crap, lol.
I have sat down a few times and figured out where to stay, estimated trail times, drop offs and pick ups, etc.
How you are doing it is to be admired for sure.

tourists24

I've done just about all of the trails in western NC. Our oldest son lives just across the border in Tennessee.
I did West Virginia, Virginia border in the panhandle. Only a few miles of it is in Wet Virginia. Did that when we went to Harpers Ferry. Love history and civil war.
That movie with Redford and Nolte, A Walk In The Woods. My wife calls me Nolte because I'm a day tripper.
I love to hike. But, I love a good shower and a good meal cooked in a kitchen. Forget that laying on the ground crap, lol.
I have sat down a few times and figured out where to stay, estimated trail times, drop offs and pick ups, etc.
Love it. Guess you’re trail name is Nolte lol.

tourists24

Well, after 140 miles of AT trail, I had to get off to get a bad disc in my neck worked on. In the past I had my C-5 6 and 7 vertebrae fused together, and it looks now like my level C4-5 has gone bad too. Steroid injection failed to work, so surgery is upcoming. This hasn't stopped me from doing the trail, but it has postponed the rest until this is fixed. I still got some really cool pics to share with you guys though, and trust me, the journey isn't over, just delayed for now.....

Attachments

• IMG_1298.JPG
    IMG_1298.JPG
    524.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1300 (1).JPG
    IMG_1300 (1).JPG
    548.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1303.JPG
    IMG_1303.JPG
    762.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1304 (1).JPG
    IMG_1304 (1).JPG
    970.7 KB · Views: 65

tourists24

lil elevation map, and the "boot tree" at Mountain Crossings. Also, the hostel I spent a night at

Attachments

• IMG_1312 (1).JPG
    IMG_1312 (1).JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 64
  • CSWW8895.JPG
    CSWW8895.JPG
    720.2 KB · Views: 61
  • CGQJ1405.JPG
    CGQJ1405.JPG
    822.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1339.PNG
    IMG_1339.PNG
    221.7 KB · Views: 63

tourists24

A couple of the shelters that are on the trail. Small bear print. And a narrow foot bridge at a creek crossing

Attachments

• IMG_1301.JPG
    IMG_1301.JPG
    886.1 KB · Views: 52
  • HRSH3583.JPG
    HRSH3583.JPG
    680.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1306 (1).JPG
    IMG_1306 (1).JPG
    824 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    933.9 KB · Views: 53

wilberforce15

Lying on the ground is for beasts.

Civilized men lay in hammocks.

tourists24

As you congregate with the other hikers you develop a trail family. We were up to about 10 of us at one point, and even had a dog named Opal moving along with us....

Attachments

• IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG
    526.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG
    822.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1343.JPG
    IMG_1343.JPG
    919.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG