Applying for pt sup

Skittles

At my hub a bunch of guys applied for pt sup. usually they just ask someone, but in this case how are they going to pick one? What do they look for?

They look to see if you're in college. Or if you're a good Hub worker, they'll just ask you and try to lure you into management. I'd never go management.. ever. I've been offered a pt sup position in case you were wondering.

margaritaville

I would not go pt supe if i were you. You work more but dont really make more money. As a part time hub employee via double shift and ground delivery help during peak you can end up with a higher yearly income then a parttime supe with lower hours worked.

Also Very hard to move up, way easier to get fired, cant be a full time driver, etc. I mean if you are 100% positive you wont be at ups long term i guess it look better on a resume. But thats about it.

SCV good to go sir.

One of the part time sups at my hub is stuck. He's got a family to support but no prospects of becoming a driver or full time sup. A lot of it is his fault so I don't feel bad for the guy, but it seems like there is less upwards mobility as a part time sup as opposed to becoming a driver. I know of some drivers that have eventually become full time supervisors, they're the best supervisors around. They get :censored2: done and they command respect.

J

jibbs

Or if you're a good Hub worker, they'll just ask you and try to lure you into management.

Lies.

I've only seen two "good workers" become part-time supes. The others were slackers and :censored2:-ups at best on the preload, and a couple of them were just already supes when I started and have stuck with it....

The ones that were supes before I started? They're actually the best ones to work under in my center....

But no, usually, in my experience, they ask people that just finished their probation. It seems to have nothing to do with their ability, and everything to do with the fact that they're brand new, seem to be able to at least hang on with the workload, and haven't been biased one way or another yet (and the union hasn't had a chance to get to them yet, either).

Lies.

I've only seen two "good workers" become part-time supes. The others were slackers and :censored2:-ups at best on the preload, and a couple of them were just already supes when I started and have stuck with it....

The ones that were supes before I started? They're actually the best ones to work under in my center....

But no, usually, in my experience, they ask people that just finished their probation. It seems to have nothing to do with their ability, and everything to do with the fact that they're brand new, seem to be able to at least hang on with the workload, and haven't been biased one way or another yet (and the union hasn't had a chance to get to them yet, either).
It's facts. I'm stating from experience.

J

jibbs

::sigh::

So am I.

The post just wouldn't have the same effect if it went "According to my experience, good sir, you're lying! My experience details an inherent history of [blah :censored2:ing blah].

I didn't mean to call you a liar-- it was more of an opening point that showed my experience directly conflicts with yours and, although it's not apparent in the post, that doesn't necessarily mean that either one of us are wrong... it just means that there's a spectrum of "right" depending on how things are run in various centers.

I hate having to explain this :censored2: to youse guise.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

10132_.jpg

I'm surprised Nike hasn't jumped all over this.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
in this case how are they going to pick one? What do they look for?
They'll have you take a test and then interview you. The test doesn't give you a score. It gives them an idea about your personality and some basic abilities. The interview they just ask you some general questions. I was interviewed by my district manager, but I don't know if that is normal.
You work more but dont really make more money. As a part time hub employee via double shift and ground delivery help during peak you can end up with a higher yearly income then a parttime supe with lower hours worked.
They've made it a lot harder to double shift. You have to get permission from the district manager to double shift workers now. Ground delivery for air drivers isn't as taboo. But I know they've been moving the way of stopping it. There's a lot more FT drivers than they need right now in my building so the air guys are lucky to get ground unless it's there's something strange that happened that day.
it seems like there is less upwards mobility as a part time sup as opposed to becoming a driver.
Yes and no. If you aren't very good at your job you are stuck. Whereas if you are hourly you can at least try to bid FT and qualify. Who knows, maybe some sneak past. They can just straight up tell you no, you're not going anywhere as a PT sup. There's a page on UPSers where you can see people moving positions in management and there is actually quite a bit of upward moves from PT sups.