APWA NEWS

B

BCbus

any person that thinks overnite is the best job ever well why would we need a union if its so great, sorry no overnite --- its UPS.

I have worked for Overnite for 261/2 yrs and Upsf for 51/2 months now and I must say that Overnite was the cheapest company in the freifgt business and Ups seem to be carrying on that tradition. We need a union in here to stop the Buddt system, pay the workers time and a half, 21st century style (after8) and to run this place like a real company. I don't know if it should be the APWA or IBT but we need somthing, because the pension we have now will likly end soon in favor of none. Seems most companies are going that way and I see no reason that UPS Freight will not follow soon. Also Columbus Oh will not vote Teamster. Trust me.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
I have worked for Overnite for 261/2 yrs and Upsf for 51/2 months now and I must say that Overnite was the cheapest company in the freifgt business and Ups seem to be carrying on that tradition. We need a union in here to stop the Buddt system, pay the workers time and a half, 21st century style (after8) and to run this place like a real company. I don't know if it should be the APWA or IBT but we need somthing, because the pension we have now will likly end soon in favor of none. Seems most companies are going that way and I see no reason that UPS Freight will not follow soon. Also Columbus Oh will not vote Teamster. Trust me.
Bcbus i talked to south florida upsf guy and he says the same thing you said and would prefer no teamsters either especially after the way they handled the strike and walked away after what two years ! The company is also talking to them to try to sway not to join the IBT ! Who would want to jump on Central states anyhow ? Not a sane person !

Bill

Without a doubt, less companies contributing is a problem.

Who are we to punish those that EARNED a pension with thier hard work just like we are earning ours.

Those collecting pensions from the funds that were part of defunct companies didn't close those companies the companies closed themselves.

We as Teamsters should be concerned with all, not just UPS. We are part of a multi-employer fund. It shows more and more that most UPSer are not teamsters, they are for themselves.

Dividing the funds is the company conquering over the teamsters. Without the Teamsters this company will chew you up and spit you out like a spit ball.

Show me some financial info on APWA.

Where are their funds, are the funds guarenteed thirty years from now?
Is the Teamsters fund guaranteed 30 years from now? At the rate that the Teamsters are spending our money, their will not be a pension for you to receive in a few years. Use some common sense. If UPS contributes to the pension fund, and the Teamsters are obligated to give our money to other companies for their retirees, doesn't it make sense that we are not receiving what we should. However, if we form a union for UPS people only, then all the money is going to us. After the APWA becomes our union, all future money that UPS contributes to our pension fund will be going to us. We will all have a secure pension fund. Why can't you people see this.

chev

Nightcrawler
Answer, compound interest. $300.00 a week at 5 percent interest ( CD Rate) after 30 years equals $1,085,764.00. You could withdraw $50,000.00 a years for as long as you live and still die a millionaire.

You need a better return on investments than %5. At %6 you break even when all is said and done.

Inflation.......
For example. Assume you invest $10,000 for 20 years, compounding monthly at 12% per year. Traditional compounding calculations show that you have the staggering sum of $108,925.
However, unless this money is in an IRA or other tax-free vehicle, with zero inflation, you REALLY end up with much less in purchasing power.
For example, with the same numbers above but with an annual tax payment of 30% and 3% inflation, you end up with just $29,252 in real purchasing power terms. In other words. Let's say that you could buy a small car today for $10,000. Save that money for 20 years and you can buy 3 small cars, not 11.
Now try just changing the interest rate to a bank CD rate of 6% per year and the same 30% taxation and 3% inflation. After 20 long years you end up with just over $12,000 in today's money terms.

Last edited:

local776

Keep a open mind folks go to all apwa meets and teamsters notice the differance. i did with the 2nd meet with apwa. never say never and please dont speak for your friends