Are Gay Couples Turning Out To Be Trend Setters?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Census data suggests the institution of marriage as we know it is going bye-bye.

The thread title is misleading as the only mention of gay couples was in this sentence:

Data scheduled to be released later this year will included statistics for same-sex marriages.

The rest of the article talks about how young people either don't have the money to get married, want to finish school, are more interested in their careers than marriage or simply don't feel that they need a piece of paper to validate their relationships.

Nice try on the yellow journalism.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I see so many problems when couples just hang!!
Someone you are with dies and you think you have a right to any of their 'stuff'? Think again, a kid can pop out of the woodwork and it doesn't matter if you had a will or not. Wills are contested everyday.....just like pre-nups are contested every day.
If you can't commit, then I don't wany your ass around me......but, that's just me.

klein

Für Meno :)
I'm sure you have commen-law relationships, too, that after a certain time period are legally equally treated as being married.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm sure you have commen-law relationships, that after a certain time period are legally equally treated as being married.

Nothing is guaranteed !! common law marriage guarantees you nothing! Everything needs to be in writing and even then there are the nuts who will sue.

Which states recognize common law marriage?

Common law marriage is recognized only in the following states:
  • Alabama
  • Colorado
  • District of Columbia
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Montana
  • New Hampshire (for inheritance purposes only)
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • Texas
  • Utah

Nothing is guaranteed !! common law marriage guarantees you nothing! Everything needs to be in writing and even then there are the nuts who will sue.

Which states recognize common law marriage?

Common law marriage is recognized only in the following states:

• Alabama
  • Colorado
  • District of Columbia
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Montana
  • New Hampshire (for inheritance purposes only)
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • Texas
  • Utah
\
And each state has their own laws that regulates community property, citizenship of that state etc.