Are stuards welcome here??

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I never understood the concept of having representation that is less educated and less articulate than you are. This thread is a perfect example.
You don't understand that smart people generally eschew extra headache and responsibility that come with no benefits? Sounds like you should be a steward.
There is a distinct difference between being intelligent and actually being able to put that intelligence to good use.

....that's what makes someone "smart" and it encompasses many more intangibles than articulation.

They used to call it "common sense", which is increasingly becoming an oxymoron.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
There is a distinct difference between being intelligent and actually being able to put that intelligence to good use.

....that's what makes someone "smart" and it encompasses many more intangibles than articulation.

They used to call it "common sense", which is increasingly becoming an oxymoron.

Attachments

• 22uyt1.jpg
    22uyt1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 136

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
They tend not to post bids up. You notify them and the union your intent to change to a different pt job/shift and you get moved to fill any vacancies in seniority order. The "past practice" part generally describes the mud between whether or not you post an explicit bid sheet. If they fill a smalls sort position with a new hire while somebody with seniority had given notice or signed a bid to move to smalls sort... you have a grievance.

This get's further muddied by our TAW agreement, again, past practice.

The crazy part is our new contract says employees are supposed to be contacted in person if not reached by phone for bids but then they completely gut HR and it never happens. Hell the grievance procedure had literally turned into HR it's insane how little gets done by them.

Last edited:

22.34life

In the current cba there are no more "skilled jobs",now in the southern supplement it talks about preferred jobs that are supposed to be bid.if your supplement allows it file for them to put up those bid list,but until that is done its gonna be WAD.past practice is an option but from my experience u really gotta have your b.a on board and its gonna be an uphill battle.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I would definitely grieve the preferred jobs going to lower seniority people provided they aren't peak season hires. Ask that Sup if he thinks he can force a higher senior person to punch out and go home before a lower senior person, since seniority doesn't matter. He'll be paying a lot of grievances.

There is no education requirement for Stewards, only a desire and passion to learn and serve the membership. Most of our Stewards have legitimate college degrees not pay-for-credentials like Phoenix College that Management typically has. Education is helpful but so are street smarts and being able to tap into the membership. I've seen plenty of uneducated Stewards run circles around me in a meeting with management, coming up with angles I hadn't thought of. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

UPSER1987

I would definitely grieve the preferred jobs going to lower seniority people provided they aren't peak season hires. Ask that Sup if he thinks he can force a higher senior person to punch out and go home before a lower senior person, since seniority doesn't matter. He'll be paying a lot of grievances.

There is no education requirement for Stewards, only a desire and passion to learn and serve the membership. Most of our Stewards have legitimate college degrees not pay-for-credentials like Phoenix College that Management typically has. Education is helpful but so are street smarts and being able to tap into the membership. I've seen plenty of uneducated Stewards run circles around me in a meeting with management, coming up with angles I hadn't thought of. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.
Sorry, basic reading, writing and spelling skills count, especially when you are representing someone else. Credibility counts. Do better.