Armed suspects on the loose after carjacking UPS delivery truck in Hesperia just before Christmas

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Aren't UPS package cars equipped with telematics? Unless that hijacked vehicle was a rental... glad that the employees were ok

OrioN

Hmmm, very similar... just different brands.

Dunno y my subcontractor group is wasting money on this when we're not hourly

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Soo, your package cars don't have something like this plugged in the OBD2 port?

Yeah, our powerpad/scanners also have GPS built in as well for POD tracking

Moto Safety GPS tracker

I never spend a lot of time rooting around under the dash, so I don't know. We link our diads to the vehicle through the uld barcode so I figured that is how they track our location/movement. It would make sense that they have a separate tracker for the PC's, and maybe the thieves knew that and removed it.

OrioN

Or they were in a rental... that news article was too vague.

How else would UPS knows u were using the seatbelt or how fast you're going thru a suburban neighborhood? on board telematics

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Or they were in a rental... that news article was too vague.

How else would UPS knows u were using the seatbelt or how fast you're going thru a suburban neighborhood? on board telematics

I know about telematics. I've never had a supervisor call me in the middle of the day asking about back first exceptions. It's always on a report the next day, so I have no first hand knowledge as to whether the telematics communicates real time, or if it includes location information. We have this metal box with wires running to it and blinking lights on the cargo side of the bulkhead. That's what I figured the telematics thing is. I kinda figured they communicated the data once we got back to the center.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I know about telematics. I've never had a supervisor call me in the middle of the day asking about back first exceptions. It's always on a report the next day, so I have no first hand knowledge as to whether the telematics communicates real time, or if it includes location information. We have this metal box with wires running to it and blinking lights on the cargo side of the bulkhead. That's what I figured the telematics thing is. I kinda figured they communicated the data once we got back to the center.
My first week I got hit by a swerving drunk driver (deemed avoidable) and my OC came and picked me up, revealed to me that he has to wait until the next morning to access the telematics. That’s when telematics are great; he was able to prove that I started slowing down honking and pulling over well before the drunk guy made contact with me and it was a “slam dunk” in his own words.