August 21, 2017 - Solar Eclipse Affecting UPS Operations

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I am surprised that no one has brought this up.

There are 14 states that will be affected by the eclipse on this day.
The path of totality is relatively thin, around 70 miles wide, and stretches from Salem, Oregon to Charleston, South Carolina.

It would be pointless to be on the streets on this day for centers that are in the path.

I am surprised that no one has brought this up.

There are 14 states that will be affected by the eclipse on this day.
The path of totality is relatively thin, around 70 miles wide, and stretches from Salem, Oregon to Charleston, South Carolina.

It would be pointless to be on the streets on this day for centers that are in the path.
It doesn't stop us from delivering in the dark during peak.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
It doesn't stop us from delivering in the dark during peak.

It is not the dark that concerns me.
It is the massive influx of people that are there to witness the event. In our area they are projecting close to 500,000 people. They are already showing up in their campers and RVs. People are renting out empty fields. The communities are not equipped to support that many people.
The closed businesses. Roads and streets capacity. The congested streets. The likelihood that potential for accidents would skyrocket. You know.....the stuff that would severely limit what we could actually accomplish in a day.

It is not the dark that concerns me.
It is the massive influx of people that are there to witness the event. In our area they are projecting close to 500,000 people. They are already showing up in their campers and RVs. People are renting out empty fields. The communities are not equipped to support that many people.
The closed businesses. Roads and streets capacity. The congested streets. The likelihood that potential for accidents would skyrocket. You know.....the stuff that would severely limit what we could actually accomplish in a day.
Unfortunately UPS doesn't stop for anything. When 911 happened the Mayor had to call UPS and said get your :censored2:ing trucks off if the road.

Safety my ass

oldupsman

If anything they're going to want the package cars on the road. Look at us, we're out here
no matter what. You're dreaming if you think they're going to shut down for the day anywhere
for an eclipse.

brownelf

Heard corporate is sending a team of I.E. personnel down to Clarksville TN to observe the suns path thru town during period of totality there. Something about a new ORION solution.

The Driver

I drive.
giphy.gif

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Ups needs to have EVERY available driver, air driver , and supervisor (with a pt employee) out there for the week of the eclipse... i know they are "planning" for it to some extent but I doubt they have any concept of what it really is going to be like for many areas across the country...it will make the couple holiday seasons where we missed thousands of pieces look like child's play!!!

Box Ox

Even if you're within the 70 mile path of totality, the total darkness will only last about 2 and a half minutes.

Like @gman042 said, the crowds are the big concern. I'd expect the areas around I-95 in the east to be a mess before and after the eclipse since Columbia, SC is in the path of totality.

Think I saw something about the forecast crushing of a little town in Oregon by Californians shooting up the interstate out west.

People are also going to be randomly stopping their cars in place to get out and watch. Hopefully there won't be many accidents from that.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Have plans to fly to Denver, pick up my daughter and head to Jackson, WY for the eclipse. Will be camping in the Tetons and hoping the skies are clear.

Duckwithapipboy

Think I saw something about the forecast crushing of a little town in Oregon by Californians shooting up the interstate out west.

People are also going to be randomly stopping their cars in place to get out and watch. Hopefully there won't be many accidents from that.
Yeah, we're not too happy about that. I-5 is already crowded as it is getting into work. I have to leave my house an hour and a half early for a 25 minute drive in order not to get snarled up in traffic. Californians are just going to make it worse.

Trump is building the wall in the wrong location. Should be on the Oregon-California border. :D