August 21, 2017 - Solar Eclipse Affecting UPS Operations

Returntosender

Heard corporate is sending a team of I.E. personnel down to Clarksville TN to observe the suns path thru town during period of totality there. Something about a new ORION solution.
It's called
IMG_2568.JPG

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I am surprised that no one has brought this up.

There are 14 states that will be affected by the eclipse on this day.
The path of totality is relatively thin, around 70 miles wide, and stretches from Salem, Oregon to Charleston, South Carolina.

It would be pointless to be on the streets on this day for centers that are in the path.
I won't be working.

Will make way more money staying at home.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I find it interesting that people travel hundreds if not thousands of miles to see an eclipse, which lasts a few minutes, when one little itty bitty random cloud in the sky has the ability to muck the whole event up.

I'm much more interested in the peak perseid meteor showers Aug 11/12. Should be the best showing for many decades.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I find it interesting that people travel hundreds if not thousands of miles to see an eclipse, which lasts a few minutes, when one little itty bitty random cloud in the sky has the ability to muck the whole event up.
Not really. Just an eclipse is different that totality.

You'll see stars in the sky during the middle of the day. Animals will be going ape :censored2:.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I'll be dropping and picking up a load at a prime viewing location about 8 hours too early to see it. Thinking about telling the wife to take off work and drive us there while I sleep. Not sure yet, depends on the weather.

The next one in 2024 will be closer but I'd hate to miss this one and have crappy weather in 2024 and not have another chance for 20 years.

P

pickup

When I was in 6th grade, there was an eclipse and the "science" teacher told us to not look at it about a week before but he didnt tell us why.

The total eclipse was going to occur during our lunch hour for which we were allowed to go outside. My friends and I had every intention to look right at the sun but thankfully it was totally cloudy otherwise a lot of kids would have had some eye damage.

I remember another total eclipse of the sun in either 94 or 95. I was a little smarter then and had welder's glass (has to be a certain grade or greater) to view the eclipse . I parked on the edge of a forest and viewed it for about 9 minutes . The birds of the forest got very quiet until the sun was winning the battle and I heard the same bird song that I would hear when the sun rises. Beautiful solar eclipse and it was the last one that I could "participate" in.

I won't enjoy a total eclipse in New Jersey this time around but I should still get a good partial one and the maximum totality will coincide with my lunch hour. I still have the welder's glass and plan on using it.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I'll be dropping and picking up a load at a prime viewing location about 8 hours too early to see it. Thinking about telling the wife to take off work and drive us there while I sleep. Not sure yet, depends on the weather.

The next one in 2024 will be closer but I'd hate to miss this one and have crappy weather in 2024 and not have another chance for 20 years.
I read a solar eclipse like this only happens once every 375 years?