Auto Club 500 @ California

rod

Retired 22 years
WoO or USAC?
:wink2:

And of course if you're talking 410 sprints it's also nothing but dirt for me! Nothing, absolutely nothing beats a good dirt track race any day of the week!

Looking at the weather, it's raining in Southern California and at Fontana of course. From the forecast, I think it's very real that there will be racing on Monday. If the weather stops and they get the Cup race in, what time is to late to run the Nationwide (it's still Busch to me but it's still Grace Cup to me as well!) race tonight?

Looking over at Phoenix, shows cloudy in upper 50's with rain to the north. Not sure if NHRA will go forward or not but so far it seems a go. Vandy coming from the 7th hole! Bob will face Cory Mac in the opening round with lane choice. Bob's less than 3 one hundredths behind pole sitter Brandon Bernstein so he's right there with the lead dogs and if Jim Dupuy can put in a good engine tuneup and clutch setup, the UPS dragster could very well go rounds today.
WoO:happy2: I hit Mazanita, and Prinston. I've been to Knokville for the Nationals the last 12 or 13 years

wkmac

WoO:happy2: I hit Mazanita, and Prinston. I've been to Knokville for the Nationals the last 12 or 13 years

I'm jealous! Living down south we don't get much WoO or even USAC. WoO has come to our local track a few times and USAC came a few years ago. USAC in the deep south was such an odd ball that no one knew anything about it or it's drivers. At one point JJ Yelly and Cory Kruseman who was driving for Smoke at the time sat up in the stands during track prep and benched raced with my daughter and I for about 20 minutes and no one else had a clue as to who they were. Both were super nice and a blast to talk too.

I've also been to a WoO race over at Taladega Short Track and I did make the haul to both Bristol WoO races. You know life is good when you ride an elevator to your seat at a dirt track race!
:happy-very:
Bristol was great but the track was so fast, noit much side by sdie. You just hammer the throttle at the drop of the rag and hold it there. Only time you slowed so to speak was in the turns when the G's loaded the chassis and booged the motor RPM's . Come out of the corners and she back to screaming. Most fun was watching Stevie Smith diamond the turns looking for a downhill run. And how could I forget Slammin Sammy Swindell who swerved at a WoO official on pitroad and then came out and got in his face. For some time was a human highlight film. LOL!

When I retire, my goal that first year is to start out at the ChiliBowl, go south to Florida for dirt weeks at Volusia and East Bay and then in the summer do the "Month of Money" ending up at Knoxville.

Is this HEAVEN?

No, it's Outlaw Sprints in IOWA!
:wink2:

Dirt is for racing, asphalt is just for getting there!
A friend###ing MEN!!!!!!
:peaceful:

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
wkmac, Have you ever been to Eldora in Ohio? I love the Sprint cars on dirt too. Is Dave Blaney's track in Ohio a dirt track?

wkmac

wkmac, Have you ever been to Eldora in Ohio? I love the Sprint cars on dirt too. Is Dave Blaney's track in Ohio a dirt track?

No but I'm hoping to make the King's Royal at Eldora one of these days. Another track I'd like to visit is "The Grove" up in Pa. Yes Blaney's track in Sharon Ohio is dirt.

wkmac

Hey, any of you guys watch the ChiliBowl Payperview? I was gonna but my 10 year old son loves the Monster Trucks and the annual big show was the same night so the trucks won out. Thanks to Speed I was able to watch the replay but there was some good racing.

One of the wildest rides was during the A-Main when one of the drivers banged the cushion and it bicycled big time and he still got back on all 4 and kept rolling. Unreal!

UPS Lifer

I got to scratch one off my bucket list when I raced the California Speedway in a Busch series car at 165 mph for 10 laps! it was one heck of a rush. I got a new respect for NASCAR drivers after that experience. Put it on your bucket list!

FAVREFAN

I got to scratch one off my bucket list when I raced the California Speedway in a Busch series car at 165 mph for 10 laps! it was one heck of a rush. I got a new respect for NASCAR drivers after that experience. Put it on your bucket list!
I'm not a Nascar guy at all and even to me, that is pretty darn cool. Good for you man, congrats. Really cool, really cool. I've done 135 on I-65 but that doesn't compare. Peace.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member

I never raced but the Richard Petty Driving Experience was the best money I ever wasted! Back when I did it there wasn't a bucket list but I might Deja Vu it anyway.