Automotive : Peak Mode-a question to mechanics

brett636

It doesn't get noticed because it comes out of 2 different pockets. (accounts)

Yup, and I see it every year in feeders. Right before peak we lease a bunch of extra trailers to get us through the Christmas season. The day after Christmas they send them back in droves, and they leave us short on trailers. That is when a bunch of drivers park in front of trailers being unloaded just to get an empty, and one has to pose the question which is more expensive: 10 drivers standing around waiting for trailers to free up every day or a few extra lease trailer payments that month. Will never figure out why they do that.

watdaflock?

feel I'm being forced to keep things on the road that I would rather not until I can get it properly fixed.

^ Shocked UPS would ever do such a thing.
Shocked-Face.gif

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Was it in Black River or Watertown (NY) where the mechanic blew the whistle on UPS for forcing him to sign off on cracks in the chassis' of several package cars?

My old Freightliner was getting pulled for cracks. They pulled it and it became a spare for a good while.

8andout

Still waiting for another mechanic....
My area has been in "peak mode" since the 3rd week of October. We were given no advance warning, just an email stating no red tags from that day forward.
I understand "somewhat" the reasoning behind it, but from what I have seen, the company is wasting a lot of money. We are hiring couriers to move parts hundreds of miles, working 14 hour days, while we have 10% of our fleet idle due to cut routes.

PT Car Washer

My area has been in "peak mode" since the 3rd week of October. We were given no advance warning, just an email stating no red tags from that day forward.
I understand "somewhat" the reasoning behind it, but from what I have seen, the company is wasting a lot of money. We are hiring couriers to move parts hundreds of miles, working 14 hour days, while we have 10% of our fleet idle due to cut routes.
Not sure how things work in your area but we are sending some of our smaller cars (5 and 7 automatics) to outlying centers to use instead of rentals. While we keep the old diesel 5 speed pig pen 7's they sent us. A lot of smaller centers do not have an auto shop.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
So far all I see in the way of rentals in my area are 24footers. Probably 3 out of 70 PCs down at the moment. Not too bad yet, but far from the unreasonable zero target.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Ditto. No pressure...remain calm.

brostalss

My package car has been out since June. Blown engine. It's a one off Workhorse Chassis with a GM 8.1L V8. They ordered and have the long block but since it threw two rods out the oil pan, they need an oil pan too.

GM stopped making the Big Blocks in 2008. All parts discontinued. Great.

Thanks Obama.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My package car has been out since June. Blown engine. It's a one off Workhorse Chassis with a GM 8.1L V8. They ordered and have the long block but since it threw two rods out the oil pan, they need an oil pan too.

GM stopped making the Big Blocks in 2008. All parts discontinued. Great.

Thanks Obama.
Barack Obama didnt walk into the GM engineering department and order them to discontinue production of the 8.1L V8. Nor did he instruct them to quit stocking parts for it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
A red tag is simply a safety issue. Shouldn't matter if it's peak day or the lightest day of the year. Red tag it if needed.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I guess the next question is about whose safety. The driver of the vehicle or the mechanic who is forced to work 14 hrs a day to keep the driver safe because he isn't allowed to tag it. I tend to make mistakes when I'm really tired. When I'm REALLY tired and frazzled, I have trouble even getting to sleep. It's a vicious circle for me.:whiteflag:I don't want to drive off the road either on my commute.

Im a mechanic, and we are getting 1hr a day OT..Only thing getting tagged is FAI right now tho. Rumor around the shop is next week no redtags open OT to get them on the road.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I guess the next question is about whose safety. The driver of the vehicle or the mechanic who is forced to work 14 hrs a day to keep the driver safe because he isn't allowed to tag it. I tend to make mistakes when I'm really tired. When I'm REALLY tired and frazzled, I have trouble even getting to sleep. It's a vicious circle for me.:whiteflag:I don't want to drive off the road either on my commute.
Not only that but it's a hazard for all of the other drivers on the road. Could you imagine the lawsuit if something happened the day after a DVIR was written up?