BA not returning phone calls

bdmiz

What the hell can be so important about a lunch break?
Long story short, I take my lunch everyday no matter what. I run my route in a way that puts me close to my lunch destination. I'm being questioned about a 3/4 mile, 4 minute drive to lunch and the ensuing "gaps" that occur on paper from that drive. It was suggested I punch out then drive to lunch, or punch out immediately after my stop and take my lunch at that destination. I want to know how far I can technically "drive" to lunch and if I can be forced to follow orion so that I cannot take my lunch where I choose. Simple.

Long story short, I take my lunch everyday no matter what. I run my route in a way that puts me close to my lunch destination. I'm being questioned about a 3/4 mile, 4 minute drive to lunch and the ensuing "gaps" that occur on paper from that drive. It was suggested I punch out then drive to lunch, or punch out immediately after my stop and take my lunch at that destination. I want to know how far I can technically "drive" to lunch and if I can be forced to follow orion so that I cannot take my lunch where I choose. Simple.
I can tell you basically how it works here. If there is somewhere closer you're able to take your lunch where you can get food and go to the bathroom your lunch starts at that time. If you choose to go somewhere else that's further from that point on that is when your lunch starts and get back to that point is when your lunch ends.

charm299

I put in a couple calls to my BA regarding a lunch issue but have not received a phone call back. The information needed is pertinent. Steward is contacting management in another building to verify this question on lunch which I do not agree with. If a BA refuses to communicate with you, what would you do.
My business agent is the biggest pussycat in the whole union. He never returns calls or text. He lets ups do whatever they want and clearly favors with ups in situations where the contract says otherwise. I don’t know if they are voted in or not, but if they are, I’ll make sure every part timer that never votes, will vote against him

Mst3k

I never break off route for lunch. I break off route to use the bathroom. The bathroom may or not be at the place I had been planning on getting lunch.

ManInBrown

I had this same exact problem when I was in package. It drove them nuts. You can’t drive on meal. I used to take meal at a pizza place parking lot. I would hold one stop about a half mile from the parking lot, and I would hold another stop on the opposite side of the road heading back to area about a half mile back on area. They said I was manipulating my delivery order, to hold those two stops. At the end of the day they let it go. You can’t drive on meal, and you’re allowed to take meal at a place of business that has food and a bathroom. If it’s really 3/4 of a mile, they don’t have a leg to stand on. IMO keep doing what you’re doing.

Going to go out on a limb and guess that you’re a driver that stands up for yourself. If you were a runner gunner, they would never say a word about this.

Last edited:

ManInBrown

I should have also said, that I was only driving about a mile and a half, from my last stop, to the stop I held, closer to the pizza place. How far are you driving, to get to the stop you’re holding closer to where you take meal? If it’s far, they would have more of a case.

bdmiz

I should have also said, that I was only driving about a mile and a half, from my last stop, to the stop I held, closer to the pizza place. How far are you driving, to get to the stop you’re holding closer to where you take meal? If it’s far, they would have more of a case.
I can basically run the route so im within .2 to .75 miles within this destination. When my manager realized this he told me to follow orion 100%, which I did. Just so happened that I ended up right across the street at lunchtime following orion that day but it typically puts me on the opposite side of the route at lunchtime. It was suggested by a fellow driver to hold stops as you're suggesting, to lessen the gap on paper. But I would have to drive too far following orion even if I held stops. They are saying my numbers are better when I follow orion but this is just a power move in my opinion because yes, I do stand up for myself.

And I also recently requested a meeting regarding 9.5 and too many stops on this route. This meeting is where this was all brought up.

ManInBrown

I can basically run the route so im within .2 to .75 miles within this destination. When my manager realized this he told me to follow orion 100%, which I did. Just so happened that I ended up right across the street at lunchtime following orion that day but it typically puts me on the opposite side of the route at lunchtime. It was suggested by a fellow driver to hold stops as you're suggesting, to lessen the gap on paper. But I would have to drive too far following orion even if I held stops. They are saying my numbers are better when I follow orion but this is just a power move in my opinion because yes, I do stand up for myself.

And I also recently requested a meeting regarding 9.5 and too many stops on this route. This meeting is where this was all brought up.
Yes but are you manipulating the entire route to take meal at this destination? All that matters is how far away you are, from your second to last stop, to the stop you are holding close to meal. As long as you’re not driving ten miles to get to that stop you’re fine. But are you doing the route in an entirely different order to achieve this? I was basically on track, except for the two stops I held. I drove about one mile from my second to last stop to the stop I held. Then a half mile from there to meal. Then about a half mile to the other stop I held, and about a mile to begin route again. If that’s what you are basically doing also they can’t do sheet. You’re not stealing time. You’re allowed to do two stops out of order. You’re allowed to take meal where there is a bathroom and food to buy. You’re not allowed to drive while you’re on meal. End of story. Stand your ground.

As far as Orion is considered I can’t speak on that. For the most part I never followed it. I told my center manager if you want me following Orion I’ll be back at 10:30 every night. Your choice. Told me to run it my way after about a week of following it. If you had never spoke up and requested a meeting about 9.5 this would have never been brought up. It’s all harassment because you stood up for yourself. If you were a runner gunner you could drive ten miles to go on meal, and once a week your center manager would meet you there and lunch would be on his tab.

Last edited:

bdmiz

Yes but are you manipulating the entire route to take meal at this destination? All that matters is how far away you are, from your second to last stop, to the stop you are holding close to meal. As long as you’re not driving ten miles to get to that stop you’re fine. But are you doing the route in an entirely different order to achieve this? I was basically on track, except for the two stops I held. I drove about one mile from my second to last stop to the stop I held. Then a half mile from there to meal. Then about a half mile to the other stop I held, and about a mile to begin route again. If that’s what you are basically doing also they can’t do sheet. You’re not stealing time. You’re allowed to do two stops out of order. You’re allowed to take meal where there is a bathroom and food to buy. You’re not allowed to drive while you’re on meal. End of story. Stand your ground.

As far as Orion is considered I can’t speak on that. For the most part I never followed it. I told my center manager if you want me following Orion I’ll be back at 10:30 every night. Your choice. Told me to run it my way after about a week of following it. If you had never spoke up and requested a meeting about 9.5 this would have never been brought up. It’s all harassment because you stood up for yourself. If you were a runner gunner you could drive ten miles to go on meal, and once a week your center manager would meet you there and lunch would be on his tab.
Yes I am. The route is split by one main street, the south side is all resi except for one CVS complex. The north side is a Target complex and one street of business. Orion runs me north side business, south side cvs, then south side resi, then north side resi. I am running north side business, south side cvs, north side resi, lunch, south side resi. I run it this way because there is a community center and a school on the north side resi that I like to do early and well of course, lunch. It also puts me closer to my pickups when they start.
If i were to follow orion I would be in the south side resi at lunchtime and in the south side resi when pickups start 4/5 days.

I do my job right, I dont cut corners. I run the route this way because its more efficient in my opinion. It's never been an issue in 15 years but now it is. Hence, I wanted to know what I can and can't do.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

is there anywhere to eat near the other side of the route where orion would typically put you for lunch?