baby dies in heat

DS

Fenderbender
He forgot to drop the kid off in daycare .... http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?friend=/c/a/2007/07/26/MNGPER76GR1.DTL&tsp=1

Sammie

DS,

Every summer I read about some maroon who "forgets" their child is in the car as they go trotting off to work. I just don't get how their precious cargo somehow "slips their mind"....

Unfathomable. 50 to life sounds good to me...

over9five

Staff member
And whats worse is, in that media report there is always some maroon psychologist defending it! Saying, "Well, parents are under so much stress nowadays".

BS! Kill your child, rot in prison!

browniehound

The parent should do some time for this. I don't know about all of you (I'm reffering to the entire BrownCafe community), but when my daughter was an infant and up until she didn't ride in the car seat I would always position the rear-view mirror to reflect her face. I would glance back at her every 5-8 seconds. Just kidding, but you get my point. I always knew she was there and my eye was on her constantly.

Which brings me to another point. I always kept my daughter seated in the middle of the back seat. Is this not the safest place in the car? It blows my mind to see parents put their infants in a car-seat, and then seat them next to one of the doors. Don't they understand if the car gets T-boned on that side the baby is dead? But if the baby was seated in the middle it would probably survive without a scratch.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Simple, if you can forget your child, you should not be a parent. 50 to life is too good. Mine are in their 30s and I still know where they are almost 24/7.

Channahon

There should be mandatory jail time for such a tragic event.
I bet parents would remember their children are in the back seat.

These poor babies can't do anything to help themselves and are at the mercy of a parent "who forgot" they were in the car??? How in the world does that happen? In my opinion, there is absolutely no excuse.

Many times I see children left in cars while parents run inside a gas station or store, with the car running. I don't get that either, as anyone could easily jump in the driver's seat and take off.

My grandkids are 13 and 10 and I still won't let them wait in the car at any location. If you're driving in my car and I leave the car, they have the pleasure of joining me. Might cost me a candy bar or pop, but at least I know they are safe.

Sammie

I've read recently that this became a problem in the 1990's when kids started riding in the back seat. Apparently whatever's in the back seat is easy to forget. When the kids sat in the front seat, this occurred maybe a dozen times a year across the country.

In the last 10 years, there's been over 300 of these deaths with something like 20 this summer alone, including the 4-year-old in New Orleans on Father's Day.

I know all of us sometimes go on "autopilot", we lose a set of keys and we leave paperwork or a cup of coffee on the roof of the car, but I'm not getting how something like this can be happening in such proportions.

Sounds like manslaughter to me.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Ive left my purse on the roof, Ive left my keys in the store, Ive even left groceries in the cart. I am no saint. But I could never forget a kid in the car.

I agree time should be served for leaving kids in the car. But what about the English couple that left their kids alone in a hotel room while they had dinner. That's a no brainer.