Back Pay

O

oakland

Does anyone out there have experience with going to arbitration with UPS for a termination case? We have 3 people here in Oakland, CA that the company is not cooperating with. This company owes me money for back-pay per the arbitrater but the company will not comply . What avenues should I seek out next?

F

feederdude

If you really have a case, your local has legal services to expedite your claim. Don't use this as a sounding board to pound your chest!!!
Arbitration is binding.
Feederdude

O

oakland

Did I offend anyone out there by asking for advice? I am sure the company has fired many people out there and they might have some ideas that could help me and my brothers here. I am not bashing my union, they have done a great job in my defense. The company seems to think that binding arbitration doesn't apply to them. People think, you get fired, you get your job back, you get back pay and it's over. UPS plays by a different set of rules, just thought maybe this board is the place to tell someone. The cases here already have decisions by arbitration so there is no worry of tainting the outcome.

T

tieguy

I don't know why you would go to a message board in lieu of your union on this one.

O

oakland

I see you post quite frequently on this board, but my requests for any info were not directed to management. Isn't this place a forum for UPSers to talk about what goes on at work and what we think about it? This is harmless subject matter compared to the guy who posted how to open a LBX on the internet, but thats another story. I will keep you posted as to how this whole thing resolves itself.

Thanks

O

over9five

Ive been checking out this board for about a month now thinking it would be a place to chat with fellow employees, but have found it over-wrought with management or at least pro-management posts.

L

lr1937

Is this a board for sh%*house lawyers. Most of the posts are by anti management types who wouldn't he happy if their mother was in charge at ups. The board is here for any and all to post be you a manager, driver, retirees, customers etc. Any one can post here that follows Cheryl's rules. You can post your thoughts on ups regardless of who you are as long as you obey the rules. It does not have to be about what is going on at work, in the market, contract or it can be all of the above. If you are unhappy with who posts here, why come? There is a tdu and teamster board for those who only want to hear one side of the story and prefer bashing ups and managers versus an open discussion about ups in whatever form you want as long as you obey Cheryl's rules. I do not think the board is over wrought with anything but people expressing their opinions about any thing that is happening at ups.

O

over9five

Just expressing my opinion,Ir1937, same as everyone else who posts here. No reason to get agitated.

T

tieguy

Oakland I really don't care what you do, but if you wish to get your money than I don't think your in the right place. Perhaps you can have this message board represent you at the panel the next time you get fired.

B

brownboxman13b

Dear Ir1937,
I've been a driver at UPS for 14 years, I was a farmer before I went to work at UPS . I know what hard work is. I did it for myself, now I do do it for UPS. I get compensated very well for it. But the thing that bugs me the most is arrogant management people like you who take all of 5 minutes in the morning to turn my attitude to crap. You posted something a few days ago about how drivers should take all the abuse they get, bottle it up, and go out on the street and put on a smile for all their customers, that really stinks! If UPS management would realize how many good employees they ruin with Sups and managers with your attitude they would never have to worry about a strike again!

O

oakland

That's a good point tiegirl. I did not need this board to represent me at panel, my BA did an excellent job of that. At least I had some sort of due process, it is still ongoing though. I didn't know that part-time sups knew what panel is, have you been to one before. My superiors could have used a panel, because Zach Scott fired almost every management person involved in my case, but that's water under the bridge now. Thanks for your insight.

T

tieguy

Wow now i'm tiegirl. any wonder we keep firing your sorry asss.

D

deliver_man

Perhaps you guys could take your little flame-war over to teamster.net? That's a good place for "grown-ups" to call each other names and generally act like children.

T

trouble1903

Understand something, tieguy and lr1937 bleed BROWN. They are so brain washed that UPS it is the biggest and the best (which in some cases may be true) that nothing anyone say's or does will make a bit of difference. They believe that they are so above everyone else that they can not be touched.

tieguy and lr1937 can not allow anyone else to have an option that contradict's the company image or put's the company in a bad light. They are taught that this will under mind there archaic, crule and
dictatorial hold they beileve they have. And in the end erode the final out come, the profit margin and the end of year bonus.

Unbeknowst to them, it is this type of behavior that has lead them to have to deal with Unions.
This type of management was once considered to be the best and most effective, but that was 50 years ago.

I do see in some of the newer managers an understanding and compassion. They see the "big picture" and the long term effect's that having a
cohesive and repectful relationship can bring to the company.

If you notice, when tieguy and lr1937 run out of things to fight you with they always go to the
old standby, "If you don't like it then quit".

They seam to forget that we all have joined up with this company for our own reasons. Yes it is hard to find a company that will pay (including benefits)what they do almost right off the bat,
but that does not mean it does not exsist.

L

lr1937

Understand something, tieguy and lr1937 bleed BROWN. They are so brain washed that UPS it is the biggest and the best (which in some cases may be true) that nothing anyone say's or does will make a bit of difference. They believe that they are so above everyone else that they can not be touched.)))))
Understand this, I do bleed brown and i am proud of the company that provided me with financial security, fairness, and oportunity that I never found anywhere else that I worked. How do you know I am brainwashed? Is it because when i read something here that I think is heferdust, I stand up for what I beleive regarding ups. I respect everyones right to post what they want here and do not attack anyone personally or try to belittle what they have to say. Because I challange what someone says that I don't agree with regarding ups, does that mean I am brainwashed. You can think what you want but I don't look down on anyone. I may disagree with you but do not look down on you or anyone else.

(((tieguy and lr1937 can not allow anyone else to have an option that contradict's the company image or put's the company in a bad light. They are taught that this will under mind there archaic, crule and
dictatorial hold they beileve they have. And in the end erode the final out come, the profit margin and the end of year bonus. ))))
I have to much pride to stand idlely by and not challange negative posts about ups. You can contradict ups all your want and try to put the company in a bad light if thats your bag, but I am going to speak my piece if I disagree with your assumptions and bad lighting. What have I said that is archaic? Is it being cruel to speak your mind and stand up for what you believe in. UPS has never taught anyone to be cruel or dictatorial although some are cruel and dictatorial. What facts do you have that the two of us are cruel and dictatorial or is this another generalization about ups managers that you have rectally extracted.
I have been retired from ups for 10 years so what happens to managers incentive is of no consequence to me other than I like to see hard working managers share in the profits of the company. I don't know what bonus you are talking about. If the company made a profit and I was doing a good enough job I got my additional incentive pay. Not a bonus. Sometimes that additional incentive made my pay equal to the drivers who I worked with.
What is wrong with wanting the company to make a profit? Without one you and every other employees finances are put in jeopardy. I surely hope there is never a year that ups does not make a profit or you and i both are in deep do do.

(((Unbeknowst to them, it is this type of behavior that has lead them to have to deal with Unions.
This type of management was once considered to be the best and most effective, but that was 50 years ago. )))
Cruel and dictatorial behavior was and never will be considered to be the best and most effective behavior. How would you know what was considered effective 50 years ago? How about some information on your training in relationships and behaviors that were in effect 50 years ago.
Unbeknownst to you, Jim Casey made a decision a long time ago that ups people could be both good teamster members and ups employees and sought out the teamsters to represent his employees. I have been a member of a number of unions and have learned to deal with them with respect if they treated me with respect. I would venture to guess that I have more experience and knowledge in dealing with unions and people than you do. I took on the challange of going into management and try to resolve problems rather than sit back and complain and not step up to the plate and do something positive about the things that need improvement.

(((
If you notice, when tieguy and lr1937 run out of things to fight you with they always go to the
old standby, "If you don't like it then quit". )))

Perhaps you are right, this may be a cop out. I have found thru experience that talking disgruntled and unhappy people into staying in jobs they are unhappy with is futile. Sooner or later if they are truly dissatisfied they leave regardless of how hard you try. You are prolonging the inevitable. It is a suggestion in some cases to put people out of their missery. There were times when people told me if you are that unhappy with your job then leave and it caused me to take stock of what I had and what was going on and I stayed or left. I was unhappy in the army and continually bitched and moaned and left at the end of my term. What else do you tell someone if they are unhappy in a dead end job. I find it very difficult to understand why some one would hate a job and their treatment and continue in misery. Better off getting out.

Finally,I joined and stayed at UPS because it provided me with financial security that I never had prior to signing on. More than anything the ethical and moral teachings of Jim Casey, the founder, fell in line with how I felt people should be treated and how a company should be run. I would suggest you get his teachings from your supervisor if you are a ups employee and it will tell you all you need to know about my reasons for coming and staying at ups. How about you? What are your reasons that is if you are a ups employee?
Thanks for informing everyone that I BLEED brown. If your gonna bleed I can't think of a better way to bleed. It was my life for 30 years and I was and am still proud to be a part of a great company.

T

tieguy

"Understand something, tieguy and lr1937 bleed BROWN. They are so brain washed that UPS it is the biggest and the best (which in some cases may be true) that nothing anyone say's or does will make a bit of difference."

Good Gawwwwwwwwwwwwwd now I'm being accused of being loyal to the company I work for. Will the pain and suffering ever end?

T

trouble1903

Tieguy,
It's one thing to be loyal, it's another to be blind and deaf.

lr1937,
You just proved my point. Thank You

T

tieguy

I agree but I try to overlook your shortcomings and pray for your release from the intense teamster brainwashing you received.

T

trouble1903

tieguy,

So glad to see you have a sense of humor!!!!!
To tell the truth, I'm not a big pro union person.

That's what make's laugh and shake my head!!!!
We all know what goes on behind closed doors.

I think I like this place.