Back to Pre-load, Re-load splits

comtnbrown

I would just like to take a second to Thank my fellow drivers in my hub and elsewhere
who take various days off so that us laid off drivers have some time to drive throughout the slow times, it really does make a difference. Thanks for a great last year! :happy2:

menotyou

bella amicizia
My on-car tries very hard to make sure the casual as drive. Sad thing about my center-if you are on preload/metro, you must use a day to take a day. Not so, if you are FT.

over9five

Staff member
I would just like to take a second to Thank my fellow drivers in my hub and elsewhere
who take various days off so that us laid off drivers have some time to drive throughout the slow times, it really does make a difference. Thanks for a great last year! :happy2:
When I was a young cover driver with nothing to do, there was a driver who would always take a day off. He had a good route, too. Eventually he got fired for stealing money out of a customers honor system candy dish. The customer knew money was disappearing and set up a camera to catch the thief. Imagine everyone's amazement when it turned out to be the UPS guy. The stupid things people do...

Years later I was able to bid that route and had it for my last 7 years in Package.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My on-car tries very hard to make sure the casual as drive. Sad thing about my center-if you are on preload/metro, you must use a day to take a day. Not so, if you are FT.

BH and I discussed dead days last week and we both agreed that there is an abuse of dead days among the FT drivers. As to whether anything is done about it remains to be seen.

I think that if you have days you must use them before you can take dead days.

Over--how much money could there possibly be in a honor system candy dish?

menotyou

bella amicizia
BH and I discussed dead days last week and we both agreed that there is an abuse of dead days among the FT drivers. As to whether anything is done about it remains to be seen.

BH was in a meeting with the teacher who clearly stated company policy does not allow dead days.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

I couldn't agree with you more on the abuse of dead days. We have 2 drivers here that take them all the time and it rarely ever gets to anyone below them. Personally I think it sucks and I don't understand how these 2 make any money. Of course they don't care, 1 wife has money coming out the ears and the other is single and could retire anytime.

When you're all high enough up on the food chain and you for whatever reason feel the need for a "dead day" none of you will ever take one off. What honorable people.

I for one was the whipping boy through package and for 1/2 my feeder career and now that I'm out from under that whip I'm damn straight going to take a day here and there as needed. Why put your time in if you're not going to enjoy what you've earned.

menotyou

bella amicizia
That's not it. At my center, it was great. They had a list so it was fair. Seniority didn't matter when it came to dead days. Not that it matters to my in-car, now. Then, we got a new labor sup and new preload psycho Susie.
She didn't think you should take a day off without pay. So, now PT'ers can't. If one group can't, no one should be able to. FT drivers with less building seniority get dead days, but PT'ers with more building seniority don't? Not fair. (PT'ers licenses were bad, thats why they didn't go FT)

Our FT'ers work pretty well with the on-car on the issue of sharing the dead days.

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
When you're all high enough up on the food chain and you for whatever reason feel the need for a "dead day" none of you will ever take one off. What honorable people.

I for one was the whipping boy through package and for 1/2 my feeder career and now that I'm out from under that whip I'm damn straight going to take a day here and there as needed. Why put your time in if you're not going to enjoy what you've earned.
​There is nothing wrong with that unless it is being abused and around here it gets abused all the time. It's the same drivers day after day after day. The one that is ready to retire should just retire and let the rte open up to some one else.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That's not it. At my center, it was great. They had a list so it was fair. Seniority didn't matter when it came to dead days. Not that it matters to my in-car, now. Then, we got a new labor sup and new preload psycho Susie.
She didn't think you should take a day off without pay. So, now PT'ers can't. If one group can't, no one should be able to. FT drivers with less building seniority get dead days, but PT'ers with more building seniority don't? Not fair. (PT'ers licenses were bad, thats why they didn't go FT)

Our FT'ers work pretty well with the on-car on the issue of sharing the dead days.
Around here PT'ers and FT'ers aren't on the same list. What each group does is sole and separate from the other.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Around here PT'ers and FT'ers aren't on the same list. What each group does is sole and separate from the other.
Our lists were separate. Point being, we had a list. Now, pt has to use a day where a FT doesn't. And, on-car tries to make sure the deads are spread around. He's a sweetie(he hired me when he was still center manager here).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't have a problem with drivers using dead days just as long as they have used all of their personal and sick days and just as long as a driver with days left is not denied the day off to give the dead day.

Here, as with this past week, they put up a sign up sheet. Open to all and any. The days are divided into 8 hour periods and X number of drivers, by seniority, within that period get the day off. It spreads out the opportunity around the clock and also prevents the "days off" from loading one side of the clock more than the other.

As far as using personal days first if someone REALLY wants that day off have at it. Otherwise why use it just to try and take a day if its just a "opportunity" day. If you get it off great if not no biggie.

outta hours

​There is nothing wrong with that unless it is being abused and around here it gets abused all the time. It's the same drivers day after day after day. The one that is ready to retire should just retire and let the rte open up to some one else.

If you call using ones seniority to get time off abuse, then I'm guilty of that. In our supplement time off unpaid has to be offered in seniority order. I'm number 3 on the seniority list. I expect to be asked each and every day that time off is available. Do I always take it? no but some days I do. If another driver has something to do, and I don't I will pass. But most of the time they are so far down that some one else between me & them takes the day anyway.

It amazes me the amount of whining and complaining from mid to low seniority drivers. They have such a sense of entitlement. Like they should have the same good routes or runs, or pick the best vacation weeks, or get the days off, etc. etc. That the senior drivers have. It's really not your business if my wife makes tons of money and I don't need to work but 2 days a week , or you wish I would retire to free up a good route( that you wont get anyway). The fact that I have been doing this full time for 26 years entitles ME to be able to do these things.

When you have walked millions of steps, driven a million miles, delivered countless pkgs, that one does in 26 years come talk to me about us being equal. Until then put in your time and wait your turn , it will come. And I am sure when it does you will all be so charitable and giving. I anticipate you will bid unassigned so a lower driver can have your good route and days off. You will probably allow them to bid vacations before you do. Like an old timer told me years ago. Seniority sucks...... unless you have it.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
If dead days are not an issue why are some pension funds increasing their annual hours worked requirement to earn a year of pension credit to 2000?

In our local, our weekly health and welfare & pension are credited if we have ANY compensation for the week. Have one senior driver who only works one day a week for much of the year.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If you call using ones seniority to get time off abuse, then I'm guilty of that. In our supplement time off unpaid has to be offered in seniority order. I'm number 3 on the seniority list. I expect to be asked each and every day that time off is available. Do I always take it? no but some days I do. If another driver has something to do, and I don't I will pass. But most of the time they are so far down that some one else between me & them takes the day anyway.

It amazes me the amount of whining and complaining from mid to low seniority drivers. They have such a sense of entitlement. Like they should have the same good routes or runs, or pick the best vacation weeks, or get the days off, etc. etc. That the senior drivers have. It's really not your business if my wife makes tons of money and I don't need to work but 2 days a week , or you wish I would retire to free up a good route( that you wont get anyway). The fact that I have been doing this full time for 26 years entitles ME to be able to do these things.

When you have walked millions of steps, driven a million miles, delivered countless pkgs, that one does in 26 years come talk to me about us being equal. Until then put in your time and wait your turn , it will come. And I am sure when it does you will all be so charitable and giving. I anticipate you will bid unassigned so a lower driver can have your good route and days off. You will probably allow them to bid vacations before you do. Like an old timer told me years ago. Seniority sucks...... unless you have it.
Outta, do not misunderstand please. You have absolutely earned the right to take days off. I am not whining about that at all. It should be done by seniority, of course. Of course I won't get that rte that you just retired from but I may get the rte from the driver that took over your bid that you just retired from. Don't bitch about me wanting a rte. It's called attrition and it is what makes the world go round.

What I am bitching about is the 1 or 2 drivers that will take every day of the week off for weeks on end. And they do. You are comparing apples and oranges/