Background Check?

Hi There,

I'm in the final stages of the interview process for a sales job with UPS. I understand there is a background check as part of the procedure. Does anyone know what this covers? I have clean criminal and DMV records, have a degree, and all my previous employers are true. I have bad credit, which is the only thing that I can see would end my chances of getting an offer. Can anyone help me??

I've always heard people jokingly say that people with bad credit are good employees because they need the job so bad they will take abuse and never quit. The same went for someone just divorced, or just married, or baby on the way, or kid going into college.

I don't really see the correlation of credit score vs likelihood to steal. If anything, the person with the high credit score who pays his bills on time (and probably never has any cash in his pocket as a result) could be more likely to steal than the person with a low credit score who neglects his bills (but has money in his pocket).

UPS Lifer

You are kidding yourself if you don't think that your financial responsibility is taken into consideration. I will share examples.

If you are looking for a basic part-time job and nothing more this will have less impact than in other areas..... However..... Each district may have a different policy on credit.

If you get wage attachments or garnishments you could lose your job depending on the frequency and your district's policy.

If you are going to apply for a promotion of any kind it could be put in play.

Any job such as air-handler or any FAA restricted job at UPS will also be affected.

People with bad credit are security as well as a terrorist risk. (Terrorist may be able to buy a person off with a security clearance).

The new FAA guidelines came about in the last few years (after 9/11 this started to evolve).

If you get wage attachments or garnishments you could lose your job depending on the frequency and your district's policy.

Isn't that the reason for a garnishment? So someone can get repaid? Firing someone because of a garnishment seems to defeat the whole purpose. What if an employee is being garnished for child support and gets fired because of the garnishment? Who wins there?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Isn't that the reason for a garnishment? So someone can get repaid? Firing someone because of a garnishment seems to defeat the whole purpose. What if an employee is being garnished for child support and gets fired because of the garnishment? Who wins there?

Two things -

1. Child support garnishments don't count at all, but judgment garnishments CAN get you terminated if you have more than one.

2. I re-state with absolute certainty - UPS does not take personal credit into consideration, nor do they run a credit report, when hiring for loader/unloader.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Two things -

1. Child support garnishments don't count at all, but judgment garnishments CAN get you terminated if you have more than one.

2. I re-state with absolute certainty - UPS does not take personal credit into consideration, nor do they run a credit report, when hiring for loader/unloader.

BBAG makes 2 excellent points. One or more garnishments for other than child support may show a trend of financial irresponsibility to a potential employer. Secondly, running a credit report for a loader/unloader would make little or no sense, due to the cost involved and the turnover rate for this group of employees.

That being said, credit scores are being used more and more by potential employers, landlords, insurance companies, etc. Credit reports are available at no charge once a year; however, credit scores are not and must be purchased. Enrollment in a credit monitoring service on a trial basis will get you your credit score(s)--just make sure you cancel before the trial period is over or your credit card will be charged.

flounda88

Thank you for all your help! I am applying for a sales position not loader. I am hopeful that next week my final interview will go smoothly and when running my background check, things will go just as smoothly. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

UPS Lifer

If you have a garnishment more than once for the same thing - you will be warned and progressive discipline will start. If you get a garnishment, there has been a legal judgement against you. Garnishments cost the company money. Checks have to be processed differently.

This is just like anything else. The first offense is not a big deal.... but the more you have raises questions and will possibly result in progressive discipline. Now, if you are a newbie in probation, and you get a judgement against you - this may be a reason to terminate; I am sure that there would be a meeting between HR - the operation folks and Finance.

Also - If you are being hired on an air belt, as an unloader or loader in a area that is identified as a restricted access area, you may get a full (SIDA) background check. When I went through it they ran a credit check.

flounda88

THANKYOU!! I received and offer for the position. Now I have submitted the information for the background check. I noticed ont he upsjobs.com website that the disclosure for the background check states that they will be running a check on driving records, previous employment, education and criminal records. All of which are clean and truthful. The disclosure DOES NOT state that they will be running a check of consumer credit. I am hoping that I am OK. I have a scheduled start date in two weeks. I am hoping that the disclosure statement is true and that I can breathe?? I am thankful and excited that I was offered the position, I just don't want it taken away from me!! Anyone have any words of advice for me? Do you know of anyone who has been offered a job in sales or otherwise that was then told they were ineligible?? HELP!!:anxious:

browniehound

Does anyone know if UPS continues to do background checks on its current employees? So if I get arrested for beating the crap out of someone in a bar fight would I be terminated?

This is a hypothetical question as I'm not tough enough to beat anyone up, LOL!

Assuming I didn't have to do any jail time, would I still have my job?

UPS Lifer

Does anyone know if UPS continues to do background checks on its current employees? So if I get arrested for beating the crap out of someone in a bar fight would I be terminated?

This is a hypothetical question as I'm not tough enough to beat anyone up, LOL!

Assuming I didn't have to do any jail time, would I still have my job?

As long as you know what the difference between higher and hire is ... you should be OK!

Sometimes I wunder if people are hire than a kite wen they is a postin!

drewed

Shankman
if you work at an air hub TSA runs periodical background checks on all who have AOA badges, they can either pull your badge (no badge no job) or if theres a warrant the airport police will pick you up at work. Thats an embarrasing situation.

browniehound

As long as you know what the difference between higher and hire is ... you should be OK!

Sometimes I wunder if people are hire than a kite wen they is a postin!

Lifer,
I see you sensed the sarcasm in my post. I wunder how sum people make it threw there daly life's.

I understand nobody is perfect and this could have been a simple oversight. I just like to poke fun sometimes because I have no life outside of work I guess, LOL.

I also don't want offend this poster as I'm only joking and have typed mistakes on occasions myself. Not often, but I have:wink2:.

The person who believes "UPS is slow to higher" is exactly what UPS is looking for to unload its trailers. I say this because once this person sees that he must work and work hard he will leave to get hired somewhere else if he can. He probably can't so he will be stuck at UPS unloading feeders. I'm assuming UPS counts on this or they would pay more $8.50/hour as a starting wage!

We need the 31 year-old pot heads who live in mom's cellar to run the operation! Everyone is important and I'm not being sarcastic in this paragraph.

Brownie:peaceful:

UPS Lifer

I agree.... I have found that as you get older my gaffs seem to surprise me! I actually can't believe I actually wrote or said or did something that is out of the norm.

So, the last thing I want to do is poke fun at someone else.... and actually mean it! Because I know it will come back to and bite me in the arse.