Bargaining for A/C in Package Cars

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Six drivers quit here in the last two months two of them were at scale. I don’t think the “fogging up the mirror” you’re hired comment is working too well. A very large portion of the population would not even consider being put through what we’re put through for 30 days much less 30 years. 🤷‍♂️
He aught not talk like that. He's just a boy.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
26142049nYrHtthk.gif

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
the biggest problem with AC is that it will cost an absolute :censored2:ing fortune for the company. it costs fuel to run the AC, and drivers will use it all the damn time not just when it's over 85 degrees. they'll run the AC all day with both doors open when it's 65 degrees out. now you might not care about how much it reduces the paychecks of the executives, but we're all paid out of the same pot and it's not bottomless. so every dollar that goes to a terribly inefficient AC system that drivers use wastefully is a dollar that can't go to our pensions, healthcare or wages.

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
$3,000 each X 90,000 delivery trucks? Do the math. You may get air-conditioning but you won't get big raises or anything else.. One or the other.
and that's just the hardware, the energy to run them ain't free.

Integrity

Binge Poster
the biggest problem with AC is that it will cost an absolute :censored2:ing fortune for the company. it costs fuel to run the AC, and drivers will use it all the damn time not just when it's over 85 degrees. they'll run the AC all day with both doors open when it's 65 degrees out. now you might not care about how much it reduces the paychecks of the executives, but we're all paid out of the same pot and it's not bottomless. so every dollar that goes to a terribly inefficient AC system that drivers use wastefully is a dollar that can't go to our pensions, healthcare or wages.
I don’t think this should be much a concern because after AC is installed most drivers, at least those on the BC, won’t use it because they say it is unnecessary and not needed.

They can feel free to leave it off. No problem.

Thebrownblob

I don’t think this should be much a concern because after AC is installed most drivers, at least those on the BC, won’t use it because they say it is unnecessary and not needed.

They can feel free to leave it off. No problem.
By after installed, you mean very unlikely? Perhaps as they purchase new package cars, they will faze them in similar to the Low step and automatics which took almost a decade to replace old ones I think the likelihood of that is low to But retrofitting current package cars is not very likely.

Integrity

Binge Poster
By after installed, you mean very unlikely? Perhaps as they purchase new package cars, they will faze them in similar to the Low step and automatics which took almost a decade to replace old ones I think the likelihood of that is low to But retrofitting current package cars is not very likely.
However it is rolled out is fine by me.

It may take some time. I am interested in seeing the outcome of the OSHA NEP and the resulting rule making that comes about. I wouldn’t be surprised to have some answers this coming summer.

I’m sure if UPS management operates in their usual non caring, corrupt manner those in charge will no doubt fight it tooth and nail.

Still, those who don’t think it is necessary can just feel free to not use it.

Thebrownblob

However it is rolled out is fine by me.

It may take some time. I am interested in seeing the outcome of the OSHA NEP and the resulting rule making that comes about. I wouldn’t be surprised to have some answers this coming summer.

I’m sure if UPS management operates in their usual non caring, corrupt manner those in charge will no doubt fight it tooth and nail.

Still, those who don’t think it is necessary can just feel free to not use it.
I guess my biggest issue with your statements is you want us to negotiate something that you think is going to happen due to the government?

Why would we waste our time and I do not want air-conditioning in a package car that stays with the company so that I can have a little extra air conditioning a couple weeks out of the month while I lose thousands of dollars worth of pay and benefits because the company will say they don’t have the money for both?

Somehow, I’ve managed 30 years with no trouble.

And if they’re forced to air condition, the package car why not the hub? Or the trailers? On and on you really don’t make a lot of sense

JL 0513

I'm sure those AC compressors will love restarting 125-200 times a day. Not happening folks.

Plus you would need 2 units per car. What good is cooling the cab if the back is 130°? Digging for packages in the back has always been the bigger problem. It's like lifting weights in a sauna. When you're driving with the doors open and now with fans on, it's fine.

Thebrownblob

I'm sure those AC compressors will love restarting 125-200 times a day. Not happening folks.

Plus you would need 2 units per car. What good is cooling the cab if the back is 130°? Digging for packages in the back has always been the bigger problem. It's like lifting weights in a sauna. When you're driving with the doors open and now with fans on, it's fine.
Yep that’s what I’ve been saying all along. It’s really not that hot in the cab with the doors open and moving, the heat at all in the back. It sounds like more advice from people who don’t do the job.