Bargaining for A/C in Package Cars

rod

Retired 22 years
I do a lot of country back roads and long private roads (aka “driveways that we DO drive”) and for a lot of places regular package car, even small ones like P57, are not practical. But package selection in it is an acquired taste.

Had my annual ride along. Commented that many delivery methods simply don’t fit with working out of a 4x4.
So how many of your next stops do you keep in the cab? Don't lie.

GameCockFan

You guys that are so excited about 4, 10s or 3, 12s really can't see passed your own noses can you?

How are the 5, 8s going right now hu? Anyone that thinks they'll only work 4, 10s or 3, 12s is delusional.
I've been on 4 10's since 98. Never been forced in a 5th day. I sometimes volunteer for Sundays during peak for the double time. $1000 for a day is nice.

AKCoverMan

This is the most idiotic thread ever. You want AC? Get an office job.
Well to be fair I think there is a case for something to mitigate the heat especially in the cargo area. Maybe not cool it down to 70 degrees or anything but back it down from the triple digits. But, yeah, if it’s summer it’s gonna be hot, break out your shorts and keep hydrated.
So how many of your next stops do you keep in the cab? Don't lie.
Depends how big next stops are and where I’m going, But the key is making most of each trip into the back, line up as many stops at back door, side dutch door, and some smalls in a tote on psgr seat.

rod

Retired 22 years
I remember when I had to do a U-Haul to deliver out of, that sucker was packed.
I used to deliver out of the old style P400's that had a shelf built into the cab that was specifically designed to carry your next few stops. The truck was a POS but that shelf sure was handy.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Hottest day I worked last year was roughly 95 degrees with a 119 index. Was pretty brutal but on days like that I don’t care what time I get done or care what they say to me about overallow.
I don’t need ac. I don’t read the cool solutions training. I just care about myself and well being more when I’m out in the job because ain’t no one else out there looking out for me but myself. The ac won’t help me out. Can’t keep the truck idling because they bitch about it.

some1else

AC in the trucks is a psychological operation to distract teamster from real issues this contract. Everyone that works for ups trades physical comfort for higher pay. They will never make this job as comfy as a 20$/he job hanging out at target, but they are working us down to that level of pay. We used to get 3-4x as much as a job like that now we get double.

UPSER1987

But you said only the office jobs have it.
Doesn’t have to be UPS. Any office job. It seems ridiculous that someone willingly accepts an outdoor job, then complains about the elements, hot or cold. Seek other employment if you don’t like it is always my stance.

Thebrownblob

Doesn’t have to be UPS. Any office job. It seems ridiculous that someone willingly accepts an outdoor job, then complains about the elements, hot or cold. Seek other employment if you don’t like it is always my stance.
Fair enough although I do complain about the elements sometimes the only thing I ever expected was heat in the winter.

pkgdriver

I used to deliver out of the old style P400's that had a shelf built into the cab that was specifically designed to carry your next few stops. The truck was a POS but that shelf sure was handy.
you could put 10 stops or so on the shelf…. about the same amount(in inches) of play in the steering wheel.

It didnt have AC either.

AKCoverMan

you could put 10 stops or so on the shelf…. about the same amount(in inches) of play in the steering wheel.

It didnt have AC either.
Oldest POS I drove was p500 with manual transmission and no power steering. Always had :censored2: ton of play in steering wheel. Put one on its side one day and totaled it, many drivers thanked me for taking it out of service.

AKCoverMan

That’s like saying I’m still sweating in July in Arizona lol
Sweating is one thing, passing out is another. I worry about drivers in Arizona and Nevada etc in summer mostly for the heat in the cargo area. It’s a GD oven!!

When the toes and finger go numb it’s not good, I can deal with all the winter weather so long as I can come back to a cab that is not sub freezing.