Bass Pro shops went to FedEx, again

N

New User

You talk about losing accounts and then believe they will come back. Get to the root of the issue...why are we loosing them in the first place. It is not always about money, people will gladly pay more for a product as long as it is worth it.
Lets be concerned with service and then we do not have to fear losing business and wait for it to come back...if it ever does.
Don't think the purple people are doing worse than us, they continue to grow their ground business and their revenue...it's all packages we used to have, that haven't come back.

L

lol

It was ground and air. 5000 pieces a week. FedEx might be a little cheaper, but that won't last long. DId you read the article in the convoy dispatch about them losing their appeal of the desicion to classify all of their employees as employees and not contractors. They had to have it done by April of this year. They already have one terminal up in Jersey that have voted in the union.

The Article said that they made roughly 1.4 billion in profit, but their pretax hit from the government to make up for the BS they had been pulling with their ground employees could cost them around 1.4 billion.

I'd hate to have to write that check.

That is all right ups has its own trouble with their franchise

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You talk about losing accounts and then believe they will come back. Get to the root of the issue...why are we loosing them in the first place. It is not always about money, people will gladly pay more for a product as long as it is worth it.
Lets be concerned with service and then we do not have to fear losing business and wait for it to come back...if it ever does.
Don't think the purple people are doing worse than us, they continue to grow their ground business and their revenue...it's all packages we used to have, that haven't come back.

hmmm, you show me anywhere in the last few years where ups has had negative growth in volume. I dont think you will find it. Look at the recent earnings. Growth of ground near 3/4 of million new pkgs a day. This is almost half of fedex grounds daily volume. Think about this, back in the rps days before fedex, they were delivering almost one million pkgs a day. They were growing slowly and ups mgt never really cared very much. Ok foreward to today. how many years have fedex owned rps. And they are up to 2 million a day. How many pkgs a day do you think rps would have today if fedex never bought them, probably close to 2 million. I dont think they are growing as fast as people think. Percentage wise, maybe. Not by actual daily volume. Nobody is taking into consideration new businesses that wernt around even 5 years ago. Ups mgt have been bitching and spinning the volume issue for 99 years. Even in the 80-90 when double digit growth was the norm, ups use to say they were loosing volume to the post office. Take the amount of years that fedex has owned rps. Now devide that by how many more packages they are delivering now compared to rps era daily volume. This issue is spun every which way. Does anyone agree?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
One more thing, If drivers were really happy with all the daily details of ups life and there was a real effort by all drivers to develop more volume this company could probably gain another 500-800 thousand packages a day. If you think about that its pretty amazing. I know drivers who have told me that if they ask some of their customers for their outbound volume that they would EASILY be able to win it from the competition. But since they already are working 11 hours, well thats just more work with no time for. Ups management, are you listening to this. More volume just for asking but no help or relief. If you time this by thousands of drivers across the us, its alarming. Remember the old saying that 20 new packages=1 new ups job. Well Im not sure I believe it. Thats why growth will be study but slow.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
One more thing, I really do not like fedex but I have to say that they have done a great job in the ltl freight arena. They just bought watkins and I think that they will be buying more of these types of businesses. Personally they are going more in that direction because of stiff competioion from us retaining our volume. I hope ups will start to grow in this area. I dont know why they wont buy tnt. This would give them a atart in the mail market and be number one in logistic worldwide.

D

dublinbrown

One more thing, I really do not like fedex but I have to say that they have done a great job in the ltl freight arena. They just bought watkins and I think that they will be buying more of these types of businesses. Personally they are going more in that direction because of stiff competioion from us retaining our volume. I hope ups will start to grow in this area. I dont know why they wont buy tnt. This would give them a atart in the mail market and be number one in logistic worldwide.

its only a matter of time before ups buys tnt,as for fedex in europe.
they lost the plot back in 1992 ans till haven't recovered.they us a subcontractor (ex fedex ireland employees) to deliver to the country..ie
outside dublin.