Become a driver now or wait?

Destee12

Hey everyone! So I'm interested in becoming a full time driver for UPS, but I can't apply until November this year as I accepted a severance check from the company which stipulated I couldn't work for UPS in any capacity until that time. I was a preloader for 1.5 years, PT sup for 0.5 year, and then PT dispatcher my last year being there. Loved preloading, but didn't much care for management. Couldn't find a way out of management other than quitting so I did.

Should I apply as soon as I can this year or wait until the next union contract comes up in 2023? Does being a 22.4 suck? Is the work steady for a 22.4 or am I going to be unemployed a week here and there until someone retires? Will the next contract be sweet for drivers (due to the hazards of COVID)?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any replies

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Driving as soon as possible.

Yes, the combo job sucks.
Some places it is steady, others, not so much.
Odds are you'll be buried in work.

Trust me, the next contract isn't going to make this situation any better.

Fuzzy Brown

Hey everyone! So I'm interested in becoming a full time driver for UPS, but I can't apply until November this year as I accepted a severance check from the company which stipulated I couldn't work for UPS in any capacity until that time. I was a preloader for 1.5 years, PT sup for 0.5 year, and then PT dispatcher my last year being there. Loved preloading, but didn't much care for management. Couldn't find a way out of management other than quitting so I did.

Should I apply as soon as I can this year or wait until the next union contract comes up in 2023? Does being a 22.4 suck? Is the work steady for a 22.4 or am I going to be unemployed a week here and there until someone retires? Will the next contract be sweet for drivers (due to the hazards of COVID)?

Why do you think they will rehire you?

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.

Did you leave on good terms?

Local25BadSanta

Get in as soon as you can, if you want to be a driver. Seniority is all we have in this job, the more people with less seniority than you the better.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Where did you work before?