Becoming a RTD

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have heard two years, and repay if you don't wait till then. I know of three who didn't wait and left, and FedEx hasn't asked for repayment from any of them.

Idle threat. They cannot train you, and then expect to be paid back if you decide to go elsewhere. The big catch with RTD is that they expect you to be PT forever because it suits the needs of the company to have an AM RTD crew and a PM RTD crew who work 4 to 5 hours. The big gap in the middle of the day is Fred's problem, not yours, but he'd prefer an all PT RTD workforce.

Is it any wonder that so many people just leave? FedEx has no legal recourse to collect their training costs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is it any wonder that so many people just leave? FedEx has no legal recourse to collect their training costs.

This reminds me of the movie "An Officer and a Gentleman" where the drill sergeant tells the recruits that they owe him 6 years of their lives before they run off to United Airlines.

All it would take is a few words in a legal document to give the company the option to sue for a prorated share of their investment if the employee leaves early.

FedUpRTD

Years ago when I became and RTD, FedEx used to put a clause in your offer letter stating that if you left the company within 24 months of training, then you owed them x,xxx amount of dollars for your training. It seems that FedEx removed that clause several years back because of legal issues. As far as an RTD footing the bill for their training up front, I have never heard of that happening. My location has a RTD trainer based here, so we get trainee RTD's here from all over the country. I have yet to hear one of them say anything about paying for their training costs up front.

You might start to see more FT RTD jobs in the near future. FedEx has had a very tough time hanging onto PT RTD's over the past few years. My location has been quite the training ground for trucking companies in my area. We are always down 6-10 PT RTD's because they are always quitting. My shift alone has been short 3-4 drivers for almost a year. They hire replacements, but they seldom stay more than two years now.

The main reason for the PT RTD's leaving FedEx is that they can start off FT elsewhere and at the same or higher wage than what FedEx pays. Why wait years for a full-time job to open up at FedEx when you can get one somewhere else at the same or better pay?. I don't blame them one bit for quitting.

l22

Thanks again for all the informative responses. To all RTDS past and present: what kind of pressure has there been to arrive at the station/ramp by a certain time or within a certain time limit? Do they give RTDs OLCCs and other discipline because they are not arriving at the stations and/or getting back to the ramp at a certain time?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thanks again for all the informative responses. To all RTDS past and present: what kind of pressure has there been to arrive at the station/ramp by a certain time or within a certain time limit? Do they give RTDs OLCCs and other discipline because they are not arriving at the stations and/or getting back to the ramp at a certain time?

There is always pressure to arrive on-time, and you must always remember that safety trumps being there at the appointed time. Management screw-ups that create late departures aren't your issue, nor are late aircraft that create anxious managers awaiting their freight. If you ball-up the truck or put it in a ditch, it will always be on you, not them.

Drive safe, and never let the pressure they try and place on you get on your nerves. Job 1 is to drive the truck and get it to where it's going. The rest of it is someone else's problem. Start pushing the boundaries on a semi and it will bite you in the ass very quickly.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I don't push it for any reason...The freight will get there when I can safely get it there. I may get asked what the cause for the delay was - but that's as far as it ever goes.

Artee

There is no pressure what so ever. You are given plenty of time to get where you need to be and drive the legal speed limit. The job has such little pressure it will put you to sleep. Look at a lot of RT drivers when they start or end their shift. What are they taking in and out of their personal vehicles? All their sleeping gear. Crates, boards, air mattress, curtains, portable DVD players, etc.....I tell the managers at the station I do the P1 pull for that if I am ever late showing up, come look for me around the corner, parked beneath the shady tree sleeping. I might have forgot to set my alarm.

FedUpRTD

There is some pressure to be on time, but nothing unreasonable. All that you really have to do is claim "traffic" and that should take care of it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There is no pressure what so ever. You are given plenty of time to get where you need to be and drive the legal speed limit. The job has such little pressure it will put you to sleep. Look at a lot of RT drivers when they start or end their shift. What are they taking in and out of their personal vehicles? All their sleeping gear. Crates, boards, air mattress, curtains, portable DVD players, etc.....I tell the managers at the station I do the P1 pull for that if I am ever late showing up, come look for me around the corner, parked beneath the shady tree sleeping. I might have forgot to set my alarm.

Back in the mid 90's, Express went through a doubles craze where some upper management type thought everything could be better handled by two trailers. You see, that way the RTD could hit multiple stations more easily and it would make them more "productive". Trouble is, they forgot about stations that got 5 AMJs...ooops.

One of my favorite CTV stories is where I had a set and stopped at my first station to break it down and put it on the dock. A manager comes out screaming at me, and tells me to just back it up to the dock...the whole set. When I explain to him this isn't possible, he comes unglued, so I very methodically break it down and put his trailer on the dock....as slowly as possible. He is getting more ticked by the second, so I just go even slower.

The brilliance of this idea also shone brightly on the PM, when you'd have to grab a second trailer on your way back to the ramp. Again, management would be furious that you took more than a minute to accomplish this. This was always an excellent time to do an especially methodical pre-trip. Needless to say, this phase didn't last long, and management went back to single trailer ops for the vast majority of stations.

Last edited:

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
One of my favorite CTV stories is where I had a set and stopped at my first station to break it down and put it on the dock. A manager comes out screaming at me, and tells me to just back it up to the dock...the whole set.

Classic!