Being cut hours hours even though of higher seniorty

escobar

since the volume has not been that much lately my hours have been cut. i have to switch up with another employee on small sort. i was wondering since i do have some seniorty then the newest hire but my supervisor tells me that he is the designated responder so he has to come in even though i have more seniority. another employee told me that are not allowed to do that and i should talk to the shop steward. i just wanted to come here and see if they are right.

over9five

Staff member
Good question, and welcome to Brown Cafe, Escobar!

What happens if he calls in sick? Does a designated responder from another shift have to stay and cover?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I don't think so it is work as directed. Work designations are not written in stone and seniority takes presidence Get your steward involved. Tell them you will be trained to be a responder. I find that more often than not rules are "made up" to beneifit someone and it is usually not the employee.

fethrs

Find out if the other employee is really a responder, the sup may be right, and talk with your steward too.

packageguy

something does not sound right, call the steward, tell him
what's going on, tell them that you want to learn
that job. I think the supevisoris lying.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i do have some seniorty then the newest hire but my supervisor tells me that he is the designated responder so he has to come in even though i have more seniority.

your supervisor is looking out for his interests, but none of that matters to your seniority

talk to your shop steward