Being pressured to join the dark side

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Where is Upsguy72?
image.jpg

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
So for the past few months the sups and center manager have been asking when I will be putting in my letter of intent for management. It started out like a playful kind of deal but recently its like every other day they are asking. I'm a likable guy and get along with everyone including management, but I dont know where they got the idea that I had any intention of going into management? I have only been a FT driver for a little under a year, but I love my job and love delivering. Unless they offered me $150k+ a year, full benefits, and a tenure position, I wouldnt even consider going into management at this point in my life.

The thing that really :censored2: me off today was the center manager and our shop steward were having a talk in the office and I needed to ask the center manager a question so I politely interrupted. Before I could utter a word the center manager says "Are you here to put in your letter" and our shop steward went along with it and said I would be a great supervisor and I should do it! And he was serious. Isnt this guy supposed to stand up for me and the union and keep union employees!?!?

Just curious if anyone else gets asks this by management often? Maybe there is a certain quality they are looking for or something? I need to get rid of that quality so they quit asking lol
so what's the problem???

Holydriver

you know the types that get asked to join management, right? typically they cant handle the delivery side of UPS. and, well, less than a year in..............

Rack em

Made the Podium
you know the types that get asked to join management, right? typically they cant handle the delivery side of UPS. and, well, less than a year in..............
Couldnt be farther from the truth. I was a utility driver while I preloaded so I got the driving thing down pretty fast. I am never over allowed, I can cover any route, and I dont get in accidents. The way I see it, I am far better utilized as a driver

Re-Raise

Maybe they are implying that you are trying to act like a supervisor instead of a driver?

We joke guys about putting in their letters when they complain about other drivers or their dispatch.

clean hairy

"When cows jump over the moon, gas goes to 2 cents a gallon, the average cost of a new car is averaging $3,000, I can buy a Steak Dinner at the finest Steak House for $5 (including tip) and I get a signing bonus up front of $500,000 (after taxes) THEN, I will do it!"
Until all the above happens, DO NOT ask me again!
If they keep asking, file a harassment grievance!
Or, just ask them what part of NO they do not understand!
The N, or the O?

I get ask many times. I just tell them that I don't agree with many of their rules. And I can't sell what I don't agree with.

PACNW

I usually get asked whenever there is an opening near me. Obviously they have a harder and harder time finding qualified candidates, so they bug the same people over and over. Back when I was a young, ambitious man I considered it. But things were already starting to shift toward micro management at that time. Used to be that management was allowed manage a work group how they saw fit. Now they just carry out directives like robots. I tell them I'll consider it, but I'll need in excess of $120k, which they would never do. Last kid they talked into "promotion" got well under $80k, and no pension. The key is to get em in year one of driver progression, when $80k sounds like a lot of $$ and full scale seems like a lifetime away.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
So for the past few months the sups and center manager have been asking when I will be putting in my letter of intent for management. It started out like a playful kind of deal but recently its like every other day they are asking. I'm a likable guy and get along with everyone including management, but I dont know where they got the idea that I had any intention of going into management? I have only been a FT driver for a little under a year, but I love my job and love delivering. Unless they offered me $150k+ a year, full benefits, and a tenure position, I wouldnt even consider going into management at this point in my life.

The thing that really :censored2: me off today was the center manager and our shop steward were having a talk in the office and I needed to ask the center manager a question so I politely interrupted. Before I could utter a word the center manager says "Are you here to put in your letter" and our shop steward went along with it and said I would be a great supervisor and I should do it! And he was serious. Isnt this guy supposed to stand up for me and the union and keep union employees!?!?

Just curious if anyone else gets asks this by management often? Maybe there is a certain quality they are looking for or something? I need to get rid of that quality so they quit asking lol
Every time they bring it up just shut down and walk away. They will get the hint.

DOK

The requests for you to put in your letter will wane as time goes on. If some of your hourly employees hear about them wanting you to go into management you might get your balls broke for a while.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Are you a runner-gunner?