Bend Oregon

watdaflock?

Oregon has a "traction tire" law, Google tells me. It says, "An approved traction tire, whether on a four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle or a standard vehicle, must have at least an eighth of an inch of tread and be labeled M&S, All Season, or have a Mountain/Snowflake symbol. These tires can be used year round. When you install approved chains, any tire becomes a traction tire."

Studded tires are legal in Oregon from November 1 through March 31. Because of the damage caused by studded tires, the Department of Transportation encourages motorists to use studded tires only when necessary. Delaying putting on studded tires or using other traction tires is helpful to the condition of the highways.

Still can't pump your own gas.
"For the first time — in counties with fewer than 40,000 people — Oregonians are allowed to pump their own gas. ... Oregon didn't pump its own gas. And it still won't in its major counties. The only other state that doesn't allow you to pump your own gas is New Jersey."

rod

Retired 22 years
"For the first time — in counties with fewer than 40,000 people — Oregonians are allowed to pump their own gas. ... Oregon didn't pump its own gas. And it still won't in its major counties. The only other state that doesn't allow you to pump your own gas is New Jersey."

Here all this time I thought NJ was the only state with such a stupid law.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Bend is a nice place to live.
Yes it snows but once you have gotten accustomed to putting tire chains on a package car you will be ok. With practice, you can install and remove a set of chains in about 15 minutes.
Something to know about Bend...( have an aunt and uncle that live there and have gone into Oregon a few times to visit them)... it’s very dry there in the summer and people can have problems with Sinuses drying out and nosebleeds and things like that.... secondly, Bend at one time was one of the fastest growing cities in the country and home prices are absolutely crazy.... it’s a big outdoor town with mountains, high desert, lakes, etc and many people are still moving there... I doubt you could get a decent house there for under 500k... no joke.... it’s ridiculous

Always call the center manager of the center you are transferring to. Ask about their layoff situation. I know a guy who didn’t work much for 2 years. Also know the hours you need each month for your healthcare. And the hours needed for healthcare at your new location. There is a possibility that you could be without healthcare for a month or so.

PackageDonkey

Box Delivery Man
Wow thanks for all the responses. I appreciate all the info. HR is supposed to call me today and let me know if the guy in front of me took the transfer or not. I have the Center Managers number and was going to call if the transfer got to me. I doubt we will take the transfer. I work out of a driver sort up in the pacific northwest and have one of the best routes. Flat, temperature always between 40 and 70 degrees, no air committs, start at 715 off by 5 most days, but family wants a new adventure. Ive researched Bend quite a bit and it does seem expensive. Im used to living at sea level, not in the mountains......

Wow thanks for all the responses. I appreciate all the info. HR is supposed to call me today and let me know if the guy in front of me took the transfer or not. I have the Center Managers number and was going to call if the transfer got to me. I doubt we will take the transfer. I work out of a driver sort up in the pacific northwest and have one of the best routes. Flat, temperature always between 40 and 70 degrees, no air committs, start at 715 off by 5 most days, but family wants a new adventure. Ive researched Bend quite a bit and it does seem expensive. Im used to living at sea level, not in the mountains......
You will have 24 hours to make your decision and sign the offer sheet.