Bereavement leave without a service

nstone

I was wondering if I am eligible for a bereavement leave even if my grandmother stated in her will not to have a service? I am a part time employee and part of local 20.

Thanks in advance

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First of all, I am very sorry for your loss.

Article 22, Section 2, Funeral Leave

In the event of the death of a member of the employee's family, a seniority employee shall be allowed a reasonable time off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite. Part time employees will be paid at four times their hourly for each day lost from work not to exceed four days.

Even though there will not be a service I assume that the family will gather to honor her memory. I would think that a day off to attend that would suffice and would be paid but you will need to check with your local mgt team to make sure.

jimstud

Banned
First of all, I am very sorry for your loss.

Article 22, Section 2, Funeral Leave

In the event of the death of a member of the employee's family, a seniority employee shall be allowed a reasonable time off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite. Part time employees will be paid at four times their hourly for each day lost from work not to exceed four days.

Even though there will not be a service I assume that the family will gather to honor her memory. I would think that a day off to attend that would suffice and would be paid but you will need to check with your local mgt team to make sure.
who are you to decide how many days off a person needs to grieve the loss of a loved one ? you know what nstone you are entitled to take up to 4 days take whatever you need and don't worry what the little kitty cat has to say. i am also sorry for your loss.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Bereavement leave is a part of our contract so that employees can grieve the loss of a loved one without worrying about loss of wages during that period. It is not meant to be a personal vacation and I would think that anything beyond one day, at the most two, in this situation would be abusing the privilege. There is not going to be a service which leads me to believe that her remains will be cremated. I would think that the family will gather to honor her memory and he most certainly should be given the opportunity to attend that gathering. Four days off with no funeral or service? I guess you and I really are not cut from the same cloth.

jimstud

Banned
bereavement leave is a part of our contract so that employees can grieve the loss of a loved one without worrying about loss of wages during that period. It is not meant to be a personal vacation and i would think that anything beyond one day, at the most two, in this situation would be abusing the privilege. There is not going to be a service which leads me to believe that her remains will be cremated. I would think that the family will gather to honor her memory and he most certainly should be given the opportunity to attend that gathering. Four days off with no funeral or service? I guess you and i really are not cut from the same cloth.
again who are you to tell someone how much time they need to grieve the loss of a loved one ? I do agree that you and i are not cut from the SAME cloth. It is almost monday so go put your tie on .

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
again who are you to tell someone how much time they need to grieve the loss of a loved one ? I do agree that you and i are not cut from the SAME cloth. It is almost monday so go put your tie on .
Upstate didn't write the contract. He was just repeating what it said.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
you are entitled to take up to 4 days - which includes a day for travel. Even if there isn't a formal service, you still are entitled to this time to grieve for the loss of your grandmother.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The kid is a part timer. It is not as though he would not have time to spend with family either after, if he works preload, or before, if he works metro, his 3.5-4 hr shift. Take a day or two for the family gathering to honor her memory. 4 days off in this situation to me would be abusing the privilege.

jimstud

Banned
The kid is a part timer. It is not as though he would not have time to spend with family either after, if he works preload, or before, if he works metro, his 3.5-4 hr shift. Take a day or two for the family gathering to honor her memory. 4 days off in this situation to me would be abusing the privilege.

you just don't get it do you? you have no idea what kind of relationship this person had with his grandmother do you ? everytime this subject comes up you feel the need to tell people how much time they should take off. maybe you are just a cold kind of person who gets over loss quicker than others. stop telling people what they should take off to mourn someone.

nstone

Well thanks for everyone's help in this matter. I just wanted to know what I am entitled too because I was told from another co-worker that this was in our contact.
For the record I will probably only use two out of the four days to attend the private family memorial ( 8 in the morning and I do work preload) and help my parents straighten out some of her personal wishes.

JonFrum

It's actually Article 29. And check your Supplement, as it may contain better language.
ARTICLE 29.
Section 2. Funeral Leave

In the event of a death of a member of the employee’s family, a seniority employee shall be allowed a reasonable time off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite.

Members of the employee’s family means spouse, child, or stepchild, grandchild, father, mother, brother, sister, grandparents, mother-in-law and father-in-law and step-parents.

A regular full-time employee shall be guaranteed two (2) days off to be taken between the day of death and two (2) working days following the funeral provided the employee attends the funeral or other bereavement rite. In cases involving the funeral of a relative listed in paragraph 2 above, an employee who attends the funeral or bereavement rite is guaranteed a minimum of two (2) days off.

An employee shall be allowed one (1) day off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite of a sister-in-law or a brother-in-law. Reimbursement for this day shall be the same as provided below.

Time off shall not extend beyond the day of the funeral unless an additional day is required for travel, except as provided above. In no event will total compensated time off exceed four (4) scheduled work days. The employee will be reimbursed at eight (8) times the employee’s straight-time hourly rate for each day lost from work for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is five (5) days, and ten (10) times the straight-time hourly rate for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is four (4) days. Part-time employees will receive the same benefits as above, paid at four (4) times the employee’s hourly rate. Better conditions contained in Supplements, Riders or Addenda will be maintained by present employees. All employees hired after July 2, 1982 will be covered by the above language.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!

But we don't know where his family lives? out of state? I do agree with you Upstate....

There was a driver in my center who's grandmother passed away 6 months prior to the ceremony honoring her. center manager denied that as did a followup call to payroll liasion. That was really pushing the privilege...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Rose, the only question that I had was whether he would have to travel or not. My answer was based on his not having to travel. Obviously if he has to travel he would be entitled to take up to the four days.

My Dad passed away shortly before Peak in 2008. He had been living in a nursing home. My brother and I made sure his affairs were in order and his final arrangements (cremation) set before he went in to the home. There was no service or calling hours per his request. I made the decision to work through Peak and then took the week after Christmas off (2 holidays and 3 days funeral leave) as the family would be there to help us honor his life. This did involve one day for travel. There was really no point in me taking 3-4 days off upon his death and working actually took my mind off of it.

Stud, not that it's any of your damn business, but I guess the death of your Mother when you are 18 can give you a cold hearted view on death.

I am out.

jimstud

Banned
Rose, the only question that I had was whether he would have to travel or not. My answer was based on his not having to travel. Obviously if he has to travel he would be entitled to take up to the four days.

My Dad passed away shortly before Peak in 2008. He had been living in a nursing home. My brother and I made sure his affairs were in order and his final arrangements (cremation) set before he went in to the home. There was no service or calling hours per his request. I made the decision to work through Peak and then took the week after Christmas off (2 holidays and 3 days funeral leave) as the family would be there to help us honor his life. This did involve one day for travel. There was really no point in me taking 3-4 days off upon his death and working actually took my mind off of it.

Stud, not that it's any of your damn business, but I guess the death of your Mother when you are 18 can give you a cold hearted view on death.

I am out.
you are not the only person to have lost someone close at a young age . nobody has the right to tell someone what is an appropriate amount of time to miss work to grieve.

SWORDFISH

It's actually Article 29. And check your Supplement, as it may contain better language.

nstone, Jonfrum is correct. As far as the contract reads in that area. There is also a thing called FMLA which allows up to 12 weeks unpaid off if you need to. Death shouldnt be taken lightly and it affects people differently based on a variety of things. Only you know whats right for you. I took 2 weeks when my grandpa died. I was very close. On the other hand I only took 3 days for my great grandma as for we were not very close.

Dark_Team_135

nstone, Jonfrum is correct. As far as the contract reads in that area. There is also a thing called FMLA which allows up to 12 weeks unpaid off if you need to. Death shouldnt be taken lightly and it affects people differently based on a variety of things. Only you know whats right for you. I took 2 weeks when my grandpa died. I was very close. On the other hand I only took 3 days for my great grandma as for we were not very close.

You can't use FMLA for a person's death. If they are a person that is covered (kids, parents, etc.) and they were seriously ill before they died you could take off to care for them, but after they die you are only covered under funeral leave.

I guess if your loved one's death affected you badly enough to cause a serious health condition you could use FMLA time until you were well enough to return to work...

satellitedriver

you are not the only person to have lost someone close at a young age . nobody has the right to tell someone what is an appropriate amount of time to miss work to grieve.

Hey jim,
The pain of loss, lasts a life time.
Should it be appropriate for me to grieve -(and not work)- for my Grand Mothers death 51yrs ago?
I still miss her.
My sister in laws death, 16yrs ago?
My Fathers death, 14yrs ago?
My Mother in Law's death 1 1/2 yrs ago?
My Mothers death 10 months ago?

No one is telling you how long to grieve.
It truly sucks to deal with the pragmatics of funerals/wills and the breaking down of households.
I personally was surprised of my being given 1 extra day off to take care of legal issues when my Mother in Law passed away.

To demand, or expect, time off to grieve is ludicrous.