Bereavement leave without a service

SWORDFISH

nstone, Take as much time as you need. Depending on how much you need it may or may not all be paid for. Just make sure you keep your center manager informed of what your doing and you will be fine. Im not guessing I have experience w/ this issue.

22.34life

Im not sure if your question is based on the idea of getting paid for all your time off or concern you could get in trouble.So you are entitled to 4 paid days including travel if there is any,the whole service thing is not an issue,you could probably take all 4 days and get paid if you think thats how much time you need.I probably would not but thats me not you,now if your worried about geting in trouble for missing days for this that are not within this window dont worry about it take what time you need but just know it wont all be paid ,ups is full of real jerks but i have never seen someone given a hard time for call ins related to a death in the family.

jimstud

Banned

Hey jim,
The pain of loss, lasts a life time.
Should it be appropriate for me to grieve -(and not work)- for my Grand Mothers death 51yrs ago?
I still miss her.
My sister in laws death, 16yrs ago?
My Fathers death, 14yrs ago?
My Mother in Law's death 1 1/2 yrs ago?
My Mothers death 10 months ago?

No one is telling you how long to grieve.
It truly sucks to deal with the pragmatics of funerals/wills and the breaking down of households.
I personally was surprised of my being given 1 extra day off to take care of legal issues when my Mother in Law passed away.

To demand, or expect, time off to grieve is ludicrous.

i did not say he had to take 4 days off , all i said is that it is not kitty cat place to tell someone that should only take 1 or 2 days otherwise they are abusing the right to time off.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Take the maximum amount of days allowed in the contract because you can't predict how much time you will need to deal with any issues that might arise in connection the funeral arrangements. You will never look back and say "I should have taken less time off", but you may very well look back and wish you had taken more.

raceanoncr

Listen, just take what you NEED! In my recent case, the managers/supes didn't say a word! And I appreciated that. Course, I was off for 5 straight weeks taking care of Mom before she passed. And two w/es after when my sister finally "manned" up and stayed and I took over on weekends.

When she finally went, it was on a Mon night/Tues morn. I had just left her Mon afternoon when sis took over, came home, took nap, got up at midnight and was walking out the door to work when sis called and said she (Mom, not sis) was unresponsive. I called work to say I wasn't coming in, no argument, no nothing! And this was 20 min before start time! 2 hours later, Mom was gone. In morn, I called supe and HE said I probably wasn't coming in the rest of the week, huh? I said probably. He said take all the time you need.

No service, direct cremation. No obit. No notice. No death certificates. Just short Memorial service on Sat. Still got paid for 2 days of bereavement w/the rest of the week unpaid.

MY point? I took time off to deal with other issues at this time. 2 days would not have been enough. I am executor. I was durable power of attorny. The company let me run with it. No questions asked. But also, they knew I wasn't abusing any system, either. They already knew I missed 5 weeks of work to care for her and death was eminent. They also knew I wasn't going to lie or cheat any system, either. I don't do that and have that reputation.

Take what you NEED!
Your center/hub may be different. Your supplement may be different.

satellitedriver

MY point? I took time off to deal with other issues at this time. 2 days would not have been enough. I am executor. I was durable power of attorny. The company let me run with it. No questions asked. But also, they knew I wasn't abusing any system, either. They already knew I missed 5 weeks of work to care for her and death was eminent. They also knew I wasn't going to lie or cheat any system, either. I don't do that and have that reputation.
You and I shared the same responsibilities, and I was given the same respect from my management team.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
nstone, Jonfrum is correct. As far as the contract reads in that area. There is also a thing called FMLA which allows up to 12 weeks unpaid off if you need to. Death shouldnt be taken lightly and it affects people differently based on a variety of things. Only you know whats right for you. I took 2 weeks when my grandpa died. I was very close. On the other hand I only took 3 days for my great grandma as for we were not very close.

My wife passed away in November last year. UPS actually gave me a few extra days paid that they were not entitled to give me. I was only able to take 2 weeks and FMLA is not an option as told to me by HR. Though I easily could have taken more time, getting back a regular routine and life helped me get back my drive to continue normally.

rod

Retired 22 years
UPS was always very fair and understanding all 3 times I needed time off for family funerals. They always told me to take as much time as I need. It didn't matter if it was paid time or not-- I didn't care.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
i did not say he had to take 4 days off , all i said is that it is not kitty cat place to tell someone that should only take 1 or 2 days otherwise they are abusing the right to time off.

We are allowed to state our personal opinions in here. You are the one that is carrying this on for no reason.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
A year ago Mar 9th I lost someone that I was very close too, that I had known for some 30 years. She was not a family member but my mgt team gave me the time to deal with her death. For that I will always be greatful.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My wife passed away in November last year. UPS actually gave me a few extra days paid that they were not entitled to give me. I was only able to take 2 weeks and FMLA is not an option as told to me by HR. Though I easily could have taken more time, getting back a regular routine and life helped me get back my drive to continue normally.

Heff, I'm glad to hear that you are doing better.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Heff, I'm glad to hear that you are doing better.

Thanks dilli !! Things have gotten much better. Leaving for Vegas tomorrow with my best friends for 5 days in Sin City !!

UPS was very good to me when I needed them and like I said, went beyond what the contract stated. I chose to come back after 2 weeks because sitting home would not help me anymore. The first week was busy and emotional but the second week was more of reflection and seeing everyone back to normal life pushed me to jump back into the rat race. At the time, we were not financially secure or expected anything bad so taking unpaid leave for it would only cause more trouble anyways.

UPS will always give you the time (even unpaid) if you need it for these type of scenarios, but to abuse the system because you can only reflects on yourself.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Thanks dilli !! Things have gotten much better. Leaving for Vegas tomorrow with my best friends for 5 days in Sin City !!

UPS was very good to me when I needed them and like I said, went beyond what the contract stated. I chose to come back after 2 weeks because sitting home would not help me anymore. The first week was busy and emotional but the second week was more of reflection and seeing everyone back to normal life pushed me to jump back into the rat race. At the time, we were not financially secure or expected anything bad so taking unpaid leave for it would only cause more trouble anyways.

UPS will always give you the time (even unpaid) if you need it for these type of scenarios, but to abuse the system because you can only reflects on yourself.
Heff, Im so sorry for your loss and do not know what I would be able to do if that happened to me. You are truly a strong person to return to work in 2 weeks. I truly hope your pain eases away with time and your memory of her lasts you forever!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Heff, Im so sorry for your loss and do not know what I would be able to do if that happened to me. You are truly a strong person to return to work in 2 weeks. I truly hope your pain eases away with time and your memory of her lasts you forever!
Thanks, RED
It made it a lot easier because I came back the week of Thanksgiving and had a driver helper right from the start.

One of the best part of a driver's job is having the time during the day to think. Once your a good driver, the delivery part of driving is easy. Using the time to figure life's problems in your mind while working is a part of the job I have always enjoyed. Unfortunatly, if I was by myself during that period, I would have broken down fairly quickly with memories in my mind. I still to this day find myself with tears in my eyes when something pops in my head while working. I just stop and compose myself and move on. It will take awhile but I have more life ahead of me and need to push on.

satellitedriver

Heff,
You are a better man than me.
I truly respect your ability, and strength, to struggle on through your grief.
My deepest sympathies for your loss.
Steve

SWORDFISH

Good to know. I always thought FMLA covered anything like that. I did see that the article under funeral leave covers it instead. Thanks for the info.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Heff, it has taken me a few days to process what you wrote. You and I have had our differences but those are trivial compared to what you have been through. I am truly, truly sorry for your loss. I lost my mother when I was a sophomore in college and ended up dropping out of school as a result. I admire your resolve and devotion to her memory.

My son lost a close friend to suicide. He lost another to cancer shortly thereafter. He had little desire to do anything. His mother and I spoke often during this time, trying to decide how best to help him cope, and we both thought it best that he get back to his regular routine to try to get his mind off of this. We were not asking him to forget nor did we want him to forget but we did want him to move on with his life. He was about to call in sick to work for the 3rd day when I told that him that he needed to go to work. He bitched and moaned but later thanked me for making him go to work as it did just what his mom and I hoped it would.

Dave.

SWORDFISH

Heff, it has taken me a few days to process what you wrote. You and I have had our differences but those are trivial compared to what you have been through. I am truly, truly sorry for your loss. I lost my mother when I was a sophomore in college and ended up dropping out of school as a result. I admire your resolve and devotion to her memory.

My son lost a close friend to suicide. He lost another to cancer shortly thereafter. He had little desire to do anything. His mother and I spoke often during this time, trying to decide how best to help him cope, and we both thought it best that he get back to his regular routine to try to get his mind off of this. We were not asking him to forget nor did we want him to forget but we did want him to move on with his life. He was about to call in sick to work for the 3rd day when I told that him that he needed to go to work. He bitched and moaned but later thanked me for making him go to work as it did just what his mom and I hoped it would.

Dave.

The big thing to remember in all this is that what works for one may not work for another. Sounds like that was a good decision for your boy and someone else in the same situation may take 2 weeks and another may take a month. As long as they are working on moving forward and not getting to unhealthy spot in their mind then its a great thing.

jalnar

Geon hot a note with leeter head from funeral home. They wont even consider the pay without the note. State for religious reasons this is what your grandmother wanted. If they say no file a grievance for religious interference.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Dave.

We'll work with a clean slate next time we interact ! :peaceful:

It was the right decision and obviously it's also a difficult journey. I have a great number of close family, friends, and neighbors that helped me through. Plus, to see how hurt they were also made me feel I wasn't alone. I feel bad for people who have to suffer through this with no support, and would understand them taking longer if that was the case.