Best Virus Scan?

over9five

Staff member
I know we've done this before, but newer info is better!

I have McAfee because it comes free with Comcast, but it seriously slows down my computer when it runs, or even when it's just updating itself.

I also am not going to pay for it. So what does everyone use, and do you pay for it?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Still with AVG free here, no complaints. I have all my rigs behind a router as well, can't beat a hardware firewall.

sano

I have been using Avast for the last 18 months. It is free and has a smaller footprint than the 2 big commercial ones. Very good luck on multiple machines.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I just renewed my Norton. Went with 360. This morning. I haven't had anything to complain about. Got live help. I had Norton before and tend to stick with what I know unless I have a good reason not too.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I use NOD32 by eset on our computers. It doesn't use much as far as system resources and they are all at least a couple of years old so I really appreciate the higher efficiency performance that doesn't slow old cpus down. We have Dell's so our computers originally came with Norton. I removed Norton after the first year because it was too much of a resource hog.

I also use Spybot, AdAware and Microsoft Defender. Those are all free...

Norton, McAfee and Trend are all bloatware. NOD32 is probably the best out there.

Here are some other good ones:

VIPRE, MalwareBytes, Hijackthis, and SiteAdvisor

This site is also handy:

VirusTotal

over9five

Staff member
Welcome to BrownCafe, Orrelse!

I believe my daughter uses AVG on her laptop, and has had no complaints.

Some have mentioned NOD32. Is that free?

Nippo

it is if you are using an older OS..95/98/me...but if you want to use it on XP or Vista, its free to try, $39.99 afterwards

UPSNewbie

I used avast! and Windows Defender. Works all very nicely.

avast! is free. You download it, you'll have a 30 day trial, then you register it for free. No monies involved.

wornoutupser

I have also removed Norton because it likes to hog resources. I am currently on AVG 30 day trial at home and my machine is much happier. I have Windows XP. I also am trying ESET on some other machines that I maintain for a commercial customer and I have nothing but praise for it so far!

over9five

Staff member
Well, I've had NOD32 by Eset for maybe a week now. So far, so very good! I know I said I wasn't going to pay anything, but....

Anyhow, unlike with McAfee, there is no slowdown when the thing runs or updates. Used to drive me nuts!

chev

Nightcrawler
Still with AVG free here, no complaints. I have all my rigs behind a router as well, can't beat a hardware firewall.
Same here. On all laptops and desktops. :wink2:
I had the same deal with McAfee. Get it free from Comcast, but got tired of it bogging systems down.

Necropostophiliac

I recommend Avira for the free ones with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Two programs. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is excellent to run once a week if you do not buy it.

You must manually download updates then perform full scan.

texan

I recommend Avira for the free ones with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Two programs. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is excellent to run once a week if you do not buy it.

You must manually download updates then perform full scan.

That is the only thing you have posted so far that I agree with.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
A couple years ago a nasty virus got through AVG free on Ms Jone's laptop and I ended up wasting half a day wiping and reinstalling, so AVG got the boot. Since then I've been using MSE and been very happy with it, it's fire and forget and super light on resources. Also run Malwarebytes once a week or so, but it always comes up clean.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I bought my new Dell laptop at Best Buy they had a special on free virus software (Webroot). Have not had a problem with viruses since installing and running this software.