Best way to get into combo jobs?

Arch

I've heard that the best way to get into combos is to sign everything even if the jobs suck. Once you have your foot in the door you have seniority over every PTer even if they have been with the company longer than you. Is that right?

What about FT drivers wanting to go combo? Do the combo guys also have the advantage to bid ahead of them too?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I've heard that the best way to get into combos is to sign everything even if the jobs suck. Once you have your foot in the door you have seniority over every PTer even if they have been with the company longer than you. Is that right?

What about FT drivers wanting to go combo? Do the combo guys also have the advantage to bid ahead of them too?

Yes full time senority trumps part time senority for bidding

In my hub the current 22.3 people have first bid, then all FT, then PT. I went driving and got a 22.3 with less then 6 years with the company. I heard to go from PT to 22.3 you need at least 12 years.

DriverNerd

Sign anything and everything, so long as you qualify. When I went full time there were a lot of combo bids being posted to fulfill the then new contract. The higher seniority part timers were waiting for the 'good bids'. I signed every one. Then the economy took a dump and no more bids, but I had already won one (although a crappy one). When new bids came up now and again for full timers I switched out of the crappy bid into something better. It only took a year and a half. Now all those former part timers are full time combos or drivers like me, but I have 3-5 more years seniority.